Considering a Morehead City August trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't dive small tanks in NC! I would also recommend at least an al30 slung for redundancy. NC is big, deep and sometimes nasty water and you never want to be without gas.

Take the biggest tanks you can manage and let the mate know that you can not climb the ladder because of the weight. Secure your BC upon surfacing onto the tag line and Doff it before climbing the ladder. Have the mate or deck hand pull it out for you. It should not be a problem if you plan and talk it out before departing. Last year I was having bad back spasms and I was offered to do that exact thing. I chose to climb back onboard with it simply because that is the way I am but the option was there if I were having problems......... YMMV

Good you found an accommodating boat captain. I'm afraid I will be out of luck in Hatteras.

I had back surgery and am planning my comeback this fall. It has to be side mount for gas and weight issues. But it will require assist at least in the beginning.

Reggie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Also you can dive the under pressure out of hatterass, JT's boat has a diver elevator.
Www.Capt-jt.com

Good idea. Never dove with him. Does it work well/safe? Just been with Capt. Dave.

Reggie, It's the nicest dive boat on the east coast. The lift works better than you would expect. Just swim up, grab the handle and stand up and it picks you up and you are within 3-5 steps from your seat. It's the only boat I will dive my big doubles on.

We are diving with JT mid June and can't wait to get back down to Hatteras. :D

Sorry for the thread hijack Jewel,

I am planning a dive for this June/July as well and it will be my first dive off the NC coast. I normally dive HP 80's with a typical bottom time of about 40 minutes at 90 feet. This weekend someone suggested a minimum of 100's to dive the coast. Al 100's are very large and difficult for me to handle.

I know the dives are a little deeper and my SAC will probably increase with the different environment...

So my question is, would I be wasting a trip if I only do 80's?

Thanks

This will all depend on you & only you, we have dove with Aquatic Safaris on several occasions and had a woman on board diving HP 85s I think, the smallest tanks I have ever seen & she was doing 100ft+ dives with the rest of us & NO one came back with more psi than her in our tanks.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2013 at 01:17 PM ----------

Good idea. Never dove with him. Does it work well/safe? Just been with Capt. Dave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxhOKYLK7tI&feature=player_embedded
Check out the lift 17 seconds into the boat, we also take off your fins & stage bottles before you walk to your seat.

It works really well and is over engineered for tech divers which is what we want. :)
It's a six pack with plenty of room for six and a mate all in doubles with deco bottles. 1st class OP.

This will all depend on you & only you, we have dove with Aquatic Safaris on several occasions and had a woman on board diving HP 85s I think, the smallest tanks I have ever seen & she was doing 100ft+ dives with the rest of us & NO one came back with more psi than her in our tanks.

Like most women, I have a pretty good sac rate but know it will go up in a new environment. I am looking for a set of HP 100's to borrow (actually trying to talk my partner into getting a set). I may try my 80's first day then rent if needed there after...

It works really well and is over engineered for tech divers which is what we want. :)
It's a six pack with plenty of room for six and a mate all in doubles with deco bottles. 1st class OP.
Rob you should have seen it last weekend 9 divers, 8 in doubles, 1 rebreather , and all the OC divers brought 2 sets just in case we couldn't dive the Clark so as not to blow the HE on something else, plus all the stages, man it was a show, but that new engine was pure magic under the load.

Back
Top Bottom