Conshelf XIV 1st stage retaining ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how do you use a dowel?
I assemble the HP side first. Set the reg body with inlet facing up, then stack the seat, spring, crown block, spring, filter into it. They will stick up above the inlet. I then put the snap ring on the snap ring pliers, and hold it over the stack with one hand. Other hand uses a small dowel or chopstick through the center of the snap ring to compress the stack, while the first hand pushes in the snap ring. Sounds harder than it is, but if you slip with the stack compressed you get to search for where the filter launched to!

Respectfully,

James

I think i'll try the dowel method first.
Pictures (a Conshelf XI from my needs rebuilt shelf)
IMG_20220318_142703486.jpgIMG_20220318_142754040_HDR.jpgIMG_20220318_142806475_HDR.jpg

I assemble the HP side first. Set the reg body with inlet facing up, then stack the seat, spring, crown block, spring, filter into it. They will stick up above the inlet. I then put the snap ring on the snap ring pliers, and hold it over the stack with one hand. Other hand uses a small dowel or chopstick through the center of the snap ring to compress the stack, while the first hand pushes in the snap ring. Sounds harder than it is, but if you slip with the stack compressed you get to search for where the filter launched to!

Respectfully,

James
A wooden pencil with a nice new eraser tip works great, too.

I just completed servicing two AL Titans this week and can attest that Herman’s tool made the HP side assembly so nice and easy. I’ve done it without the tool on Conshelf’s in the past and am still looking for the springs. 🤬

I stopped making tools a while back.
I highly recommend NOT trying to make them out of anything other than a hard steel. The problem with anything else is the circlip WILL shave off parts of the tool and deposit them INTO the reg. Bits of loose stuff in the reg is not good. I experimented with a lot of materials and most stuff will shave off bits, even softer steels were not acceptable.
The best non-tool option is a set of offset Circlip pliers and a 1/2 inch wood or plastic dowel with the side shaved off to allow room for the pliers.

Thank you all for the advice. Thank you herman for having made tools for DIY people like me even if not doing so now. I look forward to doing my own work on regulators.

I had service done on a dive rite a couple of years ago, They charged me $265 and cranked down the turret bolt so turret couldn't be moved at all. Facing use of that shop again made me decide to forgo service . I had planned to retire the Dive rite. For similar price I could buy a good used reg. newly serviced.

I then purchased a quality brand new regulator for $300 from Deep6, It is the same a a HOG regulator.

I still have the conshelf broken down and cleaned up . I'm going to get kit for it at VDH. Currently waiting on a tool to disassemble scubapro mark V to see if has the brass or stainless turret bolt so I can order both items at once. mk

BTW, for folks who have Local dive store with exorbitant service prices, I found that Scubatoys.com in Texas will do service for $59. I decided not to retire the dive rite but mailed it to Texas. They were a month behind and i am still waiting .

Again , thank you all for your support and advice on doing regulator work. I can trust that which I have done, and it really is not rocket science. mk

i am going to service my conshelf XIV . i have seen the video on you tube and "herman" with specialized tools appears to no longer be available. On the video is a tool that allows compression of springs, filter and the ring for easy insertion onto the part of regulator that attaches to cylinder. Does anyone know where i can get one of these devices?
Scuba clinic tools.com has the device for $15. Just look under Aqualung tools once you’re on the website

Back
Top Bottom