Conshelf SE2 is in! And the yoke appears to be a little cockeyed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

I did get it to mate with the tank for a bit and it seems to work fine. It's in practically new shape.

BUT

I had the damnedest time getting a good seal. After scratching my head and looking at the inlet thing, I noticed that the screw was hitting the tank stem at a slight angle...just enough to make it go on crooked and allow air to escape. I spun the yoke around and sure enough the yoke is slightly "off". Hmm...there is no obvious sign of damage, and I imagine even if you took a hammer the yoke'd probably break before it got bent.

So obviously the yoke needs replaced. Seems easy enough...my question is whether anyone has ever had a yoke be crooked like this, and experiences fixing/replacing it. Must be a factory defect, eh? I assume they're not all like that.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Tanks...

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
hey all

I did get it to mate with the tank for a bit and it seems to work fine. It's in practically new shape.

BUT

I had the damnedest time getting a good seal. After scratching my head and looking at the inlet thing, I noticed that the screw was hitting the tank stem at a slight angle...just enough to make it go on crooked and allow air to escape. I spun the yoke around and sure enough the yoke is slightly "off". Hmm...there is no obvious sign of damage, and I imagine even if you took a hammer the yoke'd probably break before it got bent.

So obviously the yoke needs replaced. Seems easy enough...my question is whether anyone has ever had a yoke be crooked like this, and experiences fixing/replacing it. Must be a factory defect, eh? I assume they're not all like that.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Tanks...

cheers

Billy S.

Just got it back from the shop eh? Look to see how big the vice is on the repair bench.

Actually, no, I just received it from the guy I won it from on eBay. It looks like it may have to take a trip to the shop. :)

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
Actually, no, I just received it from the guy I won it from on eBay. It looks like it may have to take a trip to the shop. :)

cheers

Billy S.
If I recall the yoke is screwed on with a circlip around the threads tp prevent it from coming off. Those are pretty good regs and lots of parts available.
I wonder why the guy sold it hmmmmm.

Ha! Another thing that you may consider is that the entire valve body (where the yoke is screwed on) is bent. Not saying for sure just a little more likely. Because the yoke is almost always attached I think that the valve body would bend alot quicker than the yoke itself. You may find that upon removal it is not the yoke itself that is bent. In this case you are buggered and require and entirely new conshelf body and you can use your internals....

Good luck - I once bought an ATX200 used off eBay, to find that it had been dropped or whacked against something, and one of the LP ports was distorted and would leak if you screwed in a hose (yet worked fine with a blanking plug). Generally there's not much recourse available against the seller unfortunately as they are used goods.

If the yoke screws up and down on its mount okay, it's probably just a bent yoke. If it won't move on the threads then it may be part of the 1st stage itself. You can probably get a yoke from any shop that deals in Aqualung. If you don't have one close, contact Marvel in New Jersey. They can get one for you. They are easy to change, I switch my Conshelf XIV from yoke to DIN and back in about 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure it's the yoke, not the body. I spun the yoke around and the tip of the screw was definitely not concentric, it kind of traced a very small cone if you know what I mean. I'm just amazed that it would get bent, that's such a thick piece of metal it must take a whallop to distort it. Since I see no cracking or other signs of damage, I think it's possible that it came that way from the factory, a slight defect.

I gather that it would be simple to replace, just pop that little circlip off and unscrew, right? Question: what tool what I use to get the clip off?

A couple more...Would my local Aqua Lung dealer sell me a yoke, and how much can I expect to pay? I don't think I'd need to go to Marvel, but don't they just sell to government/military anyway?

Thanks for your continuing help, folks!

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
I'm pretty sure it's the yoke, not the body. I spun the yoke around and the tip of the screw was definitely not concentric, it kind of traced a very small cone if you know what I mean. I'm just amazed that it would get bent, that's such a thick piece of metal it must take a whallop to distort it. Since I see no cracking or other signs of damage, I think it's possible that it came that way from the factory, a slight defect.

I gather that it would be simple to replace, just pop that little circlip off and unscrew, right? Question: what tool what I use to get the clip off?

A couple more...Would my local Aqua Lung dealer sell me a yoke, and how much can I expect to pay? I don't think I'd need to go to Marvel, but don't they just sell to government/military anyway?

Thanks for your continuing help, folks!

cheers

Billy S.

Bring the reg to your local hardware store, and buy some retaining rings pliers that fit the little holes in the clip. I have a set of reversible pliers(they can either spread or compress the clip) with removable tips. Works great.

I would bring the yoke to your LDS to replace it.

UPDATE: They are also called snap ring pliers. Here is a link to a set like mine: http://www.acehardware.com/product/...=0&searchId=10403853394&x=0&parentPage=search

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom