Conshelf fans welcomed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a question for Greg Barlow, but I'll attempt it.

You have to wonder that very same question, as they all use the same HP seat. This means that the first stage volcano orifice is very close, if not exactly the same size. Mostly, from my experience (I've rebuilt about 30 USD regulators of various vintages) the only real difference is in the port size and configuration and whether or not the reg is sealed. If you get a really old reg, it may have a yoke for a lower service pressure (2250 PSI) tank in lieu of a standard modern pressure (3000 PSI) tank as well.

FWIW I cannot tell the difference in work of breathing from a 1965 conshelf VI and a 2004 conshelf XIV for the life of me. If the IP and cracking pressure are the same I cannot honestly tell any difference at all.

This is a question for Greg Barlow, but I'll attempt it.

You have to wonder that very same question, as they all use the same HP seat. This means that the first stage volcano orifice is very close, if not exactly the same size. Mostly, from my experience (I've rebuilt about 30 USD regulators of various vintages) the only real difference is in the port size and configuration and whether or not the reg is sealed. If you get a really old reg, it may have a yoke for a lower service pressure (2250 PSI) tank in lieu of a standard modern pressure (3000 PSI) tank as well.

FWIW I cannot tell the difference in work of breathing from a 1965 conshelf VI and a 2004 conshelf XIV for the life of me. If the IP and cracking pressure are the same I cannot honestly tell any difference at all.

So these newer looking Aqualungs are all cosmetic, except for the battery to tell me hey it's re build time?

The only advantages of the Titan first stage over the Conshelf is a replaceable volcano orifice and IMO better hose routing. The Legend is similar.

The second stage is where there are more differences. I prefer the metal second stages, but I also like the balanced adjustable features found in many modern second stages.

For that reason I use (on my stage bottles and alternate regulator) a vintage Conshelf (with a dry environmental kit) first stage with a vintage Scubapro Balanced adjustable second stage. This IMO gives me the best of all combinations.

The electronic monitoring junk they added to the Apeks is that last thing I would want to see in any regulator of mine. For about $20 you can buy an IP gauge and check the same thing (actually a lot more) before every dive if you feel so inclined. Spending any money on an electronic pressure checker is IMO an extra complication that adds nothing of value.

I use an old Conshelf XIV and have a Calypso VI as my octo. I like the idea of the adjustable Scubapro reg as the second. Nice idea Luis, Tim

I bid on and got ($34) a very clean, on the outside SE2. I am having my LDS look at it now and do whatever it needs. I like the amount of ports and the better arrangement of the LP's than my Conshelf XII. It looks like it will take the same tune up kit as my Conshelf XII?

My LDS did a minor pressure adjustment and charged me nothing to do that on the Conshelf SE2 I bought off ebay. He agreed it is in excellent condition and has been well maintained. So now my Gekko will work with it, as opposed to my getting an adapter to go in my Conshelf XII. (Different HP port size for those that don't know):D

My LDS did a minor pressure adjustment and charged me nothing to do that on the Conshelf SE2 I bought off ebay. He agreed it is in excellent condition and has been well maintained. So now my Gekko will work with it, as opposed to my getting an adapter to go in my Conshelf XII. (Different HP port size for those that don't know):D

Isn't it great when, for once, you are NOT ripped off? $34 bucks for a great regulator is a heckuva deal!

I've been using conshelf regulators since I started diving in the early 70's. with over 1200 dives under my belt, I've never had a malfunction. I have them serviced at least once every 2 years and I use them primarily in salt water. If you rinse them well after after use and keep the hoses and mouthpiece well siliconed, they will give you years of trouble free use. I presently own 6 conshelfs 2- IV's, 2- supremes, 1-21, and 1 conshelf 22. I would never dispose of mine.

I've been using conshelf regulators since I started diving in the early 70's. with over 1200 dives under my belt, I've never had a malfunction. I have them serviced at least once every 2 years and I use them primarily in salt water. If you rinse them well after after use and keep the hoses and mouthpiece well siliconed, they will give you years of trouble free use. I presently own 6 conshelfs 2- IV's, 2- supremes, 1-21, and 1 conshelf 22. I would never dispose of mine.

Dave,

I have to agree with you man, I've got a VI, an XI, an XII, an XIV, and even a 22. I have never once had a malfunction of anykind, and they will take a TON of intermediate pressure. They are also one of few regulators that you can get the cracking pressure down to the .6-.8 range as well.

Have you serviced a supreme yourself yet? If so, is it difficult at all? All of mine are not environmentally sealed so I'm curious.

No, i haven't serviced the supremes myself. I have rebuilt my IV's myself. I might have to try a supreme next time one needs it. I'm not sure how much trouble it will be working with the silicone
to fill and cap the first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom