Conshelf 1085 2nd Stage Exhaust Port Size Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PartFish

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone lay out which years the exhaust ports on the USD 1085 second changes made the switch to the large exhaust ports, and slip on exhaust tee? Its my understanding that exhaust port size and screw on/ slip on tees were about the only changes to that 2ns stage over its life. I'm in the market and would like to know which years/models to look for.

About 1974 by my recollection. My 1966 Calypso (1085 type) and a later 80s Conshelf XIV. If it has a screw on tee it has a small (dangerous) exhaust valve. There was one year, maybe 72 or 73, that had a slightly larger exhaust valve and an enlarged screw on tee with a smooth front cover rather than the two vent style.

With the change from XIV to 14 the side port for easier access to adjust the poppet stem came along.

Notice in the photo above how the exhaust tee screw holes are brazed shut and the newer stamping makes a crease instead for the exhaust manifold that adjoins the housing at those brazing spots.

About 1974 by my recollection. My 1966 Calypso (1085 type) and a later 80s Conshelf XIV. If it has a screw on tee it has a small (dangerous) exhaust valve. There was one year, maybe 72 or 73, that had a slightly larger exhaust valve and an enlarged screw on tee with a smooth front cover rather than the two vent style.

With the change from XIV to 14 the side port for easier access to adjust the poppet stem came along.

Notice in the photo above how the exhaust tee screw holes are brazed shut and the newer stamping makes a crease instead for the exhaust manifold that adjoins the housing at those brazing spots.

Excellent! Thank you!

So, would it be true to say: If it has a slip on exhaust tee, it is extremely likely to be the large exhaust port version?

Excellent! Thank you!

So, would it be true to say: If it has a slip on exhaust tee, it is extremely likely to be the large exhaust port version?

To the best of my knowledge that is a true statement.

Here is one of the odd intermediate 1085s with the screw on tee and a larger exhaust:

I know some folks use the old two screw tee 1085s but I would not. They have way to restrictive exhaust and the WOB is off the scale for them as a result. I consider them dangerous to use. These are the good ones, bell shaped manifold, large exhaust valve and a slip on tee:

@Nemrod Thank you for the explanation, and photos, I now know what I'm looking for!
This is one of the few times I disagree with @Nemrod
The small exhaust valve is, in my opinion, no big deal for shallower diving.... Most of mine is less than 60 fsw, and I use the old Conshelf VI (small exhaust, screw on T) frequently.
I do, however, agree that large exhaust would be preferred. I have all three significant variations (screw on small exhaust, screw on large exhaust, and slip on large exhaust) and find that my favorite is screw on T with large exhaust.... Largely due to the older slip on T's being a cast iron B to get on and off for maintenance. But I also 3d print new T's for the screw on style.
Lastly, as you said you're in the market for one, I have a few that I could part with. Let me know what you're after for certain and I can probably have you sorted.

Respectfully,

James (the other one)

What mm size is the small exhaust valve for the early 1085?

I put up photos in post number 4, I think it is about 20mm, then there is the second with about a 24mm and then finally the 1085 with the 30mm and large manifold and tee. The two screw tee is very restrictive regadless of the exhaust valve size.

IMO, a 26mm valve with a large exhaust manifold is the minimum (Scubapro 109) and even that is noticeably more back pressure than with a 30mm exhaust valve and appropriately designed exhaust tee/manifold. The WOB is at least affected by exhaust effort as much as if not more than inhaltion effort. USD/AL put out a letter to shops in the mid 70s advising caution with the two screw tee models due to high WOB due to high exhaust effort. Lung volume does not change with depth, it is the same at the surface as it is at depth, density changes of course but volume does not. Restricting depth to some X number does not change the abysmal WOB of the early 1085.

This is not about being right or wrong, to the uninitiated, just beware, getting caught in a circumstance where you must sustain effort, a regulator that can barely flow enough air through it at a resting respiration volume is not going to be fun if you are working hard against a current regardless of the depth.

Healthways made a regulator that had even smaller exhaust valves! Yes, plural, as in two, but unlike Dacor who put them side by side Heathways brilliantly stacked them on top of one another. It was beyond horrible. Much worse than the old 1085. And just imagine, none of these were originally equipped with soft, silicone valves, they were stiff neoprene! They were awful!

In this dive we were anchored up current, only bouy available. The curent was not ripping but it got worse over the course of the dive. My insta-buddy took off as usual to parts unknown so I stopped at the plaque in hopes he would rejoin me as that was the agreed upon turn point. It was about then I noted a trickle of water, then more and then nothing but water. The DH regulator had flooded out (Strike Number 1). Turns out the intake hose had split and it was a new hose! Well, whatever, jumped over to my octopus which was a two screw 1085. My buddy never showed up until I found him on the mooring line. I was exhausted from the swim back up current. It was like trying to breath through a straw but worse. That was the first time in the fairly recent era that a little guardian angel told me, you know buddy, you oughta think about some equipment upgrades huh, maybe?

Okay, what is that, oh, an AL Core with a freaking huge exhaust valve and exhaust manifold by any comparison:

Without getting into the specifics of Strike 2 and Strike 3, my current solution:

James

26 mm.... or as I like to call it "F'n small", lol.

When I get home in a few days I will measure them. It is not the diameter solely of the exhaust valve but the outlet hole in the case and then the restrictive tee that hardly has room for the valve to curl outward. If the case hole in my photo is 26mm I will be really surprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom