Confession

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine was a diving job for a beach club swimming area. I had 7 dives under my belt. Got tangled in line about 5' from the surface going to get a 2nd tank because I had just kicked on my J-valve a few minutes before trying to surface. That was when I found out that 2 knives are better than one. The one I had was dull. I was able to cut thru with the serrated wet rope part of the blade.
I sucked that tank so dry water got in! I've carried 2 knives ever since as well as other essential gear.

That's hilarious... me too. I got certified in a quarry not far from where I lived. After the class ended, and everyone left, I went back in and sucked my 72 down to about 1 PSI or so... (I had to see how that J-thingy worked after all...)

I didn't even have my card yet. That as May 27, 1974. My life changed forever that day... although I didn't realize it at the time.

when my instructor gave me this wonderful proposal, "can you hide these slates for me for them [aow class] to find". i did not ask if anyone wanted to go with me, i just dove without a dc... just a depth gauge... on my safety stop i saw my instructor at 15ft. judging by his facial expressions he was saying, "*** are you doing!!". since that incident, he made me hide all of them slates... hehehe

June 1975 - just bought US Divers / Aqualung 72 cuft tank, Conshelf reg, weights, - no bc, no guage, no octo, no training. Had an Aqualung "wrap-around" mask, rocket fins, snorkel - no computer.

1st dive in a lake I'd never been in before. 2nd dive in a another new lake - and so on.....

What was your first solo dive? Da it was my first dive after getting certified

It was my first dive before getting certified.

It was my first dive before getting certified.

Same here. As a teenager in the early '60s, a buddy had one set of gear.

I learned solo, as there was no one around to dive with really, till later I met other divers, I could go out front and dive 20 mins a day, for almost a week on one tank, never got deeper than 20'. After 15 mins in lake superior, you were froze, took awhile before I got my first skin suit.

Diving solo on your first dives is probably a great education, you wont have so much aprehension if you did it already, heck look at the young kid that was skindiving in jaws, I always rember he surfaced and says HUH.

Happy Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom