Confession

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What was your first solo dive? Da it was my first dive after getting certified

My first solo dive was a training exercise with the Navy. It wasn't really much of a dive, but it was the first time I was in the ocean underwater without a buddy. It involved a dive to 100', removal of scuba, turning on an u/w strobe, leaving the gear on the rock bottom, doing a free ascent and then diving down and putting on the gear.

The ascent was a whole lot less frightening than the descent. I remember that I was scared to death on-the-surface hyperventilating. What if I couldn't find my gear? Who would help me? The thoughts that creep into the mind, the doubts... These thoughts kept getting louder as I descended; still no visual reference. When I saw the strobe light everything fell into place; I finally had some direction.

It only took a couple of minutes, but I knew that I was truly alone. Over the years, I still remember the feeling I had while swimming into the darkness without a point of reference and not knowing where the life saving air was. It certainly gave me a unique appreciation for my equipment and my buddy.

My first solo dive!

Well it was my second dive after my check out dives (#6). My buddy was sick on the boat and did not want to go diving. So, I had planned on sitting out both dives with her(my wife) but she insisted on me getting in the water with someone. So I buddied up and off we went.

After about 30 mins of the dive I had past my turn pressure so I signaled my buddy and let them know. He motioned follow me, so I followed some more until I was a little past 2/3's of my air gone. I signaled getting low on air and he shrugged his shoulders and swam off. I grabbed a fin and signaled again low on air and going up to the boat. I swam around the barge and found the anchor line that was on the wreck. I found the down line running beside and under the boat at around 15' and did my 3 min safety stop. While hanging on the line watching the fish under the boat I realized I liked not having a buddy.

Now I have a buddy that is yellow and clipped to my bcd for such events. However, I still enjoy diving with my regular buddy too.

Sometimes its just nice to get away on your own.:D

Dives #6, 7, 8, 9, & 10, all solo, from shore, in Cozumel, until I was ready to jump off the back off a boat into that deep blue water. Being alone never bothered me, but jumping into a deep "bottomless" ocean or lake always terrified me. Now black, brown, green or blue, I dive down, sink through it until something appears from the bottom, and it's all good. :D

My first solo actually started off as part of a, what turned out to be VERY loose group. I was paired with a DM who was a hellof a lot better diver than me, as well as faster, so I was having a time keeping up with him to begin with, (I like to go slow and look at crap). Anyway, there were a couple of individuals who were apparently having some equipment difficulties (ill fitting rentals- we knew from the surface pre-dive). He inquired if I was ok, and motioned he wanted to go assist, I signaled ok. After he helped out, he was shadowing them and basically ignored me, after a few minutes of them what seemed like racing, I thought “screw it” and shortly thereafter experienced my first underwater problem. Although it was not serious it gave me something to think about. What happened was I had to either sneeze or, cough or some combination thereof (I know I shouldn’t have been diving when I was coming down with something but… I did), anyway I kinda gagged and inhaled water, partially flooding my mask. My first thought was damm I can’t breathe! My second thought was I gotta get to the surface (which was doable as I was not quite 60 feet). My third thought was STOP- that’s panicked thinking and that will get you dead! I remembered from training you can throw up trough your regulator if you have to. So semi-choking I realized I could still take very shallow breaths. Water kept getting up my nose but I knew I had to be able to good air to be able to clear my mask so I ignored that and concentrated on getting the water out of my airway. I would take a small breath and cough, after about a minute I was able to breathe normally, although my chest hurt from the coughing and gagging, I cleared my mask. And thought Wow that sucked, but damm I glad it happened, what a learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom