Conditions - Windy Point 1/6/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
It was as bad as expected. We went to Richard's and hit 125. Vis was about 1-2 maybe 3 in places. It was a little colder than last weekend but still not too bad in a dry suit - 59-60 at depth.

My reg came apart at about 70 ft. I didn't realize what was going on until I was sucking in water. It really sucked too. Then, when I went to do my gas switch, I found the knob to my deco bottle missing.

So, all in all it was a great dive because we all made it out...

Layne

It was as bad as expected. We went to Richard's and hit 125. Vis was about 1-2 maybe 3 in places. It was a little colder than last weekend but still not too bad in a dry suit - 59-60 at depth.

My reg came apart at about 70 ft. I didn't realize what was going on until I was sucking in water. It really sucked too. Then, when I went to do my gas switch, I found the knob to my deco bottle missing.

Layne

Does sound like 'one' of those days you had--geez.

Wonder were that knob is sitting........

So, Layne, tell us how did you handled the knob coming off your stage. I'd be interested to hear how you problem solved that issue.

Layne

I suspect switched to lost deco gas scenero for deco

or

buddy breathed deco gas

or

switched to lost gas, waited till buddy was done then took his left overs

Had this happen once on a dive, buddy's deco knob fell off, we buddy breathed, figured it was good practice anyway.

After the dive I got onto him told him he should have sucked it up and used his teeth to open the valve, funny part was he thought I was serious.

You stayed in Travis long enough to get into deco? Must have a high boredom threshold!

I lost a knob off a deco tank once. Playing around afterwards I found that I could use EMS shears on the valve stem to open it.

I know someone that carries a small crescent wrench on big dives.

Would it not be better to carry a big crescent wrench on 'big' dives??

You stayed in Travis long enough to get into deco? Must have a high boredom threshold!

I lost a knob off a deco tank once. Playing around afterwards I found that I could use EMS shears on the valve stem to open it.

When you go to 150 and beyond it you don't have to hang out for very long to hit deco.

So, Layne, tell us how did you handled the knob coming off your stage. I'd be interested to hear how you problem solved that issue.

Well, this was a simulated deco dive and no real deco was needed. So, it was easy to deal with it. I just did not switch to it. If it had been a real emergency, I would have breathed off my buddies deco tank or as Ian pointed out, used my shears to turn the tank on.

Layne

Back
Top Bottom