Condition of the wildlife populations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agamemnon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm just curious how people feel about the populations of the crabs/scallops/octopi/rockfish/lingcod etc etc around Vancouver and Vancouver Island. I noticed in the more recent Andy Lamb book that the condition of the Rockfish populations is a sad story and just wondering about everything else (ironic, because in his 80's book on fish alone, recipies for all the rockfish species are provided!). Are there any divers who have noticed changes over the last 10-20 years? My guess is that everything is declining, so probably not necessary to ask. I guess the problem is that even if the 'stocks' are regulated (i.e. salmon,dungeness) it's proven to be no guarantee that their population will remain stable. I'm also guessing that it's more or less a free-for-all with respect to everything else and only self restraint is the true limit to how much we harvest. Is this glum view correct?

I've been spearfishing and freediving all over the island for about 8yrs now. every year it gets worse. less fish, more closures, and in our specific case, more and more hate dockside. Fatass bubba line fisherman seems to love to tell us that we're the problem.

the saddest part is watching the line fishermen embolizing dozens of rockfish for every halibut or ling they pull in. but hey, they didn't "keep" any so their limits are intact...

BC Fisheries needs a major over haul on how they manage the sport fishery.

then there is that special group that can't be governed... but it's un-P.C. to say anything against them...

Back
Top Bottom