Concern over people selling catches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwunder

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have noticed people advertising on craigslist and usedvictoria lately to purchase sport caught fish and wildlife which is very illegal and immoral in my opinion. The ad that got me today is one on usedvictoria in the diving section looking to purchase octopus. Not only is the person trying to undercut the commercial fishers, but is enticing the sport divers to start clearing out our octopus dens for profit.

Has anyone else seen these ads, do they concern you?

I'd like to think that there aren't any divers out there who would actually kill an octo. I suspect they won't get much of a response from the ad. Or perhaps I'm just naive...

Thanks for posting, it's good to be aware of this stuff.

I would kill an octopus, they taste great.
Marinate in soy,peppers,lemon,black pepper and grill to perfection.... YUMMY

Jeff

I would kill an octopus, they taste great.
Marinate in soy,peppers,lemon,black pepper and grill to perfection.... YUMMY

Jeff

Good thing you're in Arizona then. The octopi around here don't seem to be numerous as they once were (at least at the popular dive sites).

EDIT: I just found an ad like the one mentioned for the Nanaimo region...

If you find an ad, report it to DFO/a Conservation officer, I'm sure they'll be interested. It should be pretty easy to catch these folks. Unless maybe this is DFO/Conservation laying a trap for someone?

I might have troubles with the police arresting me for forgetting to be nice to the a$$ |-|ole I see removing octo from a recognized dive site I am on.... Park or no park, that scenery is for all of us...SHOVE - OFF to non recognized Divesites to molest wildlife and please don't tell me about it. If there is nothing I can say or do legally, morally or ethically to improve the situation, please let me sleep oblivious and without ulcers...

-my not so humble 0.02bar

As sschlesi says report these adds to Fisheries and Oceans.

Quote from the "unlawful actions" link on the F&O website.
"It is Illegal to
-buy, sell, barter or attempt to buy, sell or barter any fish caught by sport fishing."

So not only is illegal to sell this guy stuff, Its illegal for him to post ads for it.

Yes, the ads are illegal and I will be reporting them to DFO; however, i'm not that confident that they will actually pursue the person and charge them. I also reported the ads as illegal to the listing site, but to date they have not responded.

I do not specifically have a problem with someone fishing etc, but starting an illegal commercial fishery has the potential to be very harmful to the great dive sites in our urban areas.

Anyway, i'll post back if my complaints go anywhere

I've seen and reported the usedvictoria ad posted here: link

I've also posted one above it, the text being : WANTED: Octopus Poachers

Description A reminder to our friendly divers (and fishermen) that it is illegal to pillage our local waters to traffic illegally in octopus - or other fish - for bait. To sell, buy, barter, or to attempt to trade in fish commercially requires a commercial license. Anything else is despicable. There are LEGAL bait sources locally available.

It's also possible for one to call or email the advertising party. Many times. Anonoumously. Just sayin'. :coffee:

Report A Poacher: RAPP

I've seen octopus that have been caught, de-limbed, and left to die in our local waters. We do not want our fisheries to start resembling shark-fining atrocities.

Please be active.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom