CONCEPTION FIRE - NTSB REPORT & NEW USCG RULES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am doing this from memory and perhaps someone can correct me if my memory is faulty, but IIRC, Truth Aquatics believed that stationing a crew member during the night so that he or she would die with the passengers meant that they did not have to have a night watchman.
I do not remember that as company policy, but as an offhand comment (and poor taste) comment to describe why a trainee was sleeping down in berthing instead of crews quarters.

They can say whatever they want to say, but having a unique interpretation of the rules from what everyone else has that just happens to save you money and eventually results in dozens of deaths is probably not going to be a very successful defense in court.

But maybe I’m wrong.

Divers have literally been complaining over 50 years to keep "the government" out of the business of regulating the scuba industry. Now half of you are complaining about how the USCG should have done a better job enforcing (more & better) regulations the Conception.
This point deserves to be addressed, though I don't think there'll be universal accord. The problem gets back to the old saying 'You have to take the good with the bad.' That's especially true of government. Another way of phrasing it is to ask 'At what cost?'

Yes, I wish liveaboards had been designed with at least 2 practically usable exits from bunk areas, at least 1 exiting to an outside deck space, and that if need be, the Coast Guard had ensured compliance.

Now the question then becomes, if the government's 'role' in the scuba hobby expands greatly, what else will they get into? At least in the U.S., 'government' is closely tied to 'bureaucrats,' and confidence in the latter is not high.

Recently there was outrage over a Malta case dealing with dive buddy liability, IIRC. In past discussions when Australia and France have come up, I've gotten the impression of regulatory overreach (by my standards). While not a matter of law, some influential behind-the-scenes types in Grand Cayman seem to've managed to largely prevent solo shore diving there. When someone dies in a Florida cave, thoughts quickly turn to fear someone will shut down diver access to that cave.

I don't think anyone supports the position there should be no regulation, but some of us are guarded about it.

Richard.

A bit late to the discussion but has a finial rule been published?? The comment period ended 6 months ago: Regulations.gov

I tried to do some additional searching but found nothing. The interim rules were a start but left much to be desired.

ntsb-urges-coast-guard-to-act-
NTSB want's to duplicate an airplane's check list to be used on boats. The issue is there is a limited amount of airplane models (727/L10/B2/etc). But on boats, every boat is customized/built differently. There are zillions of different models and customizations. They even chop boats in half to add 10 ft, move the steering up/down/left/right/front/back, or rip out mid engines and put them on the rear. Jeez, you can now steer your boat with your PHONE, write that on checklist!! It would be almost impossible to develop a precise custom government check list like an airplane uses. Or the list would be so generic that it would be ineffective.

NTSB want's to duplicate an airplane's check list to be used on boats. The issue is there is a limited amount of airplane models (727/L10/B2/etc). But on boats, every boat is customized/built differently. There are zillions of different models and customizations. They even chop boats in half to add 10 ft, move the steering up/down/left/right/front/back, or rip out mid engines and put them on the rear. Jeez, you can now steer your boat with your PHONE, write that on checklist!! It would be almost impossible to develop a precise custom government check list like an airplane uses. Or the list would be so generic that it would be ineffective.
Checklists are not developed by the FAA, they are developed by the aircraft manufacturer and then, iiirc, modified by the air carrier if desired. The FAA approves them.

But given the total disregard of both tradition, common sense and federal law I doubt this would have helped. The fact the the Coast Guard never noticed that there was only one exit from the bridge (not exactly a subtle problem requiring extensive specialized training to observe) suggests to me that they wouldn’t have noticed the they had a program in name only.

Not inconsistent with a lithium battery fire. Any of the many batteries aboard could have flooded and the shorted out mess discarded in the trash bin with other flammables like paper towels and such.

Not inconsistent with a lithium battery fire. Any of the many batteries aboard could have flooded and the shorted out mess discarded in the trash bin with other flammables like paper towels and such.

Or they could have just been charging, with many others, on mess deck table(s). Wood, vinyl, and fiberglass burn easily at lithium fire tempatures.

Before the fire it was not uncommon to have large numbers of batteries charging overnight, unattended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom