Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nailer99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi- I'm brand new to tech diving. Just completed advanced Eanx and Deco, looking to do Trimix in a couple months, and I'm curious as to what computers everyone here likes. I'm leaning towards a VR-3, I like the Cochrans, but I'm told you can't do gas switching "on the fly" with them, which seems like a bad thing. Opinions?

(Not sure if this is the best place to put this thread, as there is no "Tech diving" forum.)

I am still 'old school' like many tec dives,,,,,cut custom tables//slats.....do use 2 DiveRite Duos in gage mode as bottom timers.

Yes, I don't care for the automatic gas switching of the Cochrans.

The VR3 is a hell of a machine if you need mix or CC (or you want VPM-B). If it will be a while until you're doing any of those, can't beat the Duo as a basic gas-switching computer.

Of course cutting your own tables may be the way to go depending on what kind of diving you are doing (they are great for square profiles but not so great for caves). V-Planner is a very popular package (PC software), I'd suggest getting it even if you plan on using a computer because it's great to just model profiles and to get a feeling of what a certain profile should look like.

PS the tech diving forum is up a level from where we're at: http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Just post right there.

A bottom timer + deco on the fly is the way to go! Cheap, easy, it works, and its supremely adaptable. Use v-planner, decoplanner, gap, etc. for unusual dives or to just do thought experiments.

I do recommend diving with just a timer recreationally for awhile, possibly paired with your recreational computer. Then once you have the system wired into your brain its easy to jump to deco with it.

loosebits:
Yes, I don't care for the automatic gas switching of the Cochrans.

With Rand on this one....Cochrans have a poor reputation in several regards.....even here in their backyard of corp/manfc..

Thanks, guys. Wow- I feel dumb- I never noticed that there was a "parent" forum above this one for general tech. Oh, well, I trust wreck divers more than the average tech guy, anyway.:14:

Thanks for your input. I'm still leaning towards the VR-3, at least in part because I hope to be diving CCR next year, funds permitting.

And, for the record, I did learn how to use v-planner and cut tables, which is all well and good, but every tech diver I know (except for the DIR folks) uses a computer as well, just for redundancy, as well as tracking depth and time.

I hope it is alright to post a follow up question.

If I use deco software to plan the dive, shouldn't the computer I have use the same algorithm? I am sure they wont be far behind one another, but wouldn't it be ideal if you stuck to your plan 100% and the computer had the exact same data?

Yes, the computer and the tables should be pretty close provided their using the same calculations. But you tend to see slight variations based on the computer's more accurate interpretation of depth (and PO2 if diving a rebreather). As the profile becomes less square, the more they'll deviate.
I think the main thing is to become very comfortable without a computer on tech dives before taking advantage of one. One day that'll save some heart palpitations when the screen goes blank. You'll switch to the backup tables and never break a sweat.

I plan to use the computer as a backup. I wonder if that is really possible or will human nature kick in and little by little the computer will dictate the dive? Has this happened to anyone?

For tech dives I would go with a bottom timer. I use a Uwatec and cut tables. After you dive that way for a while, go with a computer, but only as backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom