computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andyhu

Reaction score
I was thinking about investing in a dive computer and after being overwhelmed with numerous brands, styles, and functions I was wondering if anyone had any advice on dive computers as far as, Do I really need one?, Does anyone find them to be a very helpful and worth the investment? And does anyone have any suggestions as far as which computers are better than others, especially for a newbie.

Hi Andy,

Some quick hints:

- Check the computer section of this board for computer related discussions.
- Check the gear buying guide over on scubadiving.com.
- My sugestion would be to get at least 25 dives under your belt before buying a computer. This will force you to optimize your usage of dive tables as well as to understand what computer features you want before you buy (mainly via talking to other divers). When you get a better handle on the types of diving you'll be doing, you'll be able to make a more informed purchase decision.

Good luck.

the very first trip that my wife and i went on after being certified was to the flower gardens on the M/V Spree. It was a good trip, with one exception, one of the "captians" (not Frank) insisted on giving my wife a hard time about the fact that she did not have a computer. On a 12 dive trip she only made 5 dives. On a side note, I did have a computer, however, I was diving tables and using my computer as a bottom timer.

so yes I would have to agree with large diver and say get a few dives under yur belt and then look in to buying a computer.

If you are at that point now, then i ask, what do you need from a computer¿ what type of diving do you do¿

Andyhu, Dive computers are very helpful tools that make diving much safer. Learn and know your tables, more importantly understand how they work.

Now having said that, you should [red]NOT[/red], nor do I recommend you dive any number of dives without one. You do not need to wait to buy a computer. We can certainly give you plenty of direction in choosing one that is right for you here. The questions you should be asking are:
  • Is cost a concern?
  • Air integrated or non air integrated?
  • Traditional or hoseless?
  • Nitrox capability?
  • Downloadable?
A great computer to look into is the Suunto Cobra There is a section on the link I just posted where you can make an interactive dive with the computer by downloading a small file. I recommend you do this to get an understanding of how well the computer works.

I think that the advice given already is good advice but we can all offer our own opinions about which is a good or bad computer.
Here is my opinion based on the research and choice that I made recently. I decided that I wanted a fairly cheap computer which was downloadable, easy to use, displayed the relevant information when I needed it and was easy to see in the murky lakes of England. Based on this I decided to buy an Alladin Sport and interface. This computer has no buttons to press, has a battery life of approximately 10 years and has a big face which I can see easily. It gives me all of the information that I need such as no fly time, surface interval time, bottom time, max.depth and maximum depth to dive to on repetitive dives. The only draw back with it is that it is not nitrox compatible, but as I have no intention of nitrox diving in the near future this was OK for me.

I agree with Mario, that there is no need to wait, if you know you are going to be doing lots of diving. I am a new diver, and my only diving so far was a trip just concluded to the Cayman Islands. I bought a computer and it made life much easier. I do, however, know how to work the dive tables, and could do so as necessary, and I think that is a good point that everyone is making.

The upside to waiting to purchase after some dives would be maybe you will decide to dive tec, or nitrox, etc, and will have a better idea what to look for in a computer. I am very happy as a recreation diver, so I am happy that I went with a computer with less bells and whistles, but one that is very easy to use. (Oceanic Prodigy)
Dmentia

I like the idea of a computer from the beginning. When my wife and I got certified a year ago and a couple weeks ago when my son got certified, we used Aladin AI during the cert dives. When we got back to the motel after the first day we all met and downloaded the dives and looked at the profiles. Everybody got a clue as to thier air consumption at different parts of the dive, how well they maintained a certain depth, any ascent rates that were to fast, etc. Then we had a better idea on what to work on the next day. I think this was a great training aid. You can't look that stuff up with a table.

Besides the above training, the computer can catch the deviations from your plan. Nobody has a flat depth for thier dive. Without a constant depth, or at least a few constant depth steps during the dive, coming up and trying to figure the tables doesn't seem as accurate. With all the ups and downs, there is no way to keep track of how many minutes at what depth you really did. I'm familiar with the tables, not an expert, but I can use them. I just think a computer can tell me what I really did down there. I just feel safer with the computer than with the tables.

My vote is to get the computer in the begining, not after 25 or 50 dives.

Tom

One of the best purchases you will ever make is your own regulator and dive computer. Don't leave home without it!

First and foremost, your reg is really your life line and if you have it properly maintained, you will never have to wonder if it will fail.

Second, a dive computer will allow you to extend your bottom times far beyond what the dive tables will allow because, as stated, the dive tables assume you are at max depth the whole time, while the dive computer senses exactly how long you are at the various depths you dive. Also, most dive computers will tell you what your nitrogen adsorption is and you can do your safety stop by timing yourself at 15-20 feet AND BY WATCHING THE NITROGEN ADSORPTION DECREASE as you stay at depth.

There are numerous computers out there and each company hires a great Madison Avenue firm to help get the message out that its product is the best. In addition, most divers with computers think theirs is the best--why else would they have bought and still be using it? My suggestion is as follows: go to the dive shops in your area and look at the reputable brands--such as Suunto, Genesis, Mares, Sherwood, etc. Ask what the features are and TAKE NOTES. Then, ask if they have any new (UNUSED), recently discontinued models (which will probably not have all the new bells and whistles) that are on sale. You need to do a little research to make sure it is not discontined do to a flaw! Nowadays, if the computer is not downloadable, it may be less desireable and on sale; and if downloadability is not something you care about, you may have found a nice, cost effective computer. Some folks will argue that you need the very best from the very start. The problem with that is that this technology is moving along so fast that there is a new product nearly every month--you could go bankrupt trying to have the very latest of everything!

And, I guarantee that this will not be the last computer you buy--after a couple of years, you will see a model that is 10 times better and half the price of what you first bought--and now you will have a back-up!

About flaws--I am willing to bet that, if you asked for an opinion or information on this site, you will find out if their is a skeleton in some computer's closet!

Finally, after you get your computer, check out your bottom times compared to what the dive tables tell you you can do. As you get more experience you will be amazed at how different the answers will be! The difference between a dive table and a computer is like the difference between a road map and a GPS--which would you bet on for the "correct" answer?

Have fun....

Joewr

Looks like my "wait to buy your computer" opinion has been trampled.....

I guess I would say that like any other piece of dive equipment, it takes some dive experience to understand what you want/need vs. listening to a dive shop sales person TELL you what you need. I'm not here to bash dive shops -- they provide a lot of very helpful advice on equipment purchases. It's not until you've been diving for at least 20+ dives that you begin to better understand what your preferences are -- not only through your own experience, but also via discussions with a wide range of experienced divers. Do I want a wrist mounted or console computer? Air intergration vs. non? etc., etc., etc.

My $0.02.

Hey, Large-diver,

This is just the old chicken and egg dilemna! Sometimes one does not know what to buy unless one has had some experience--and you cannot get that experience without buying something! Egad!!!

Dive shops are in business only because they sell things, but often you will find an honest saleperson who will give you an honest appraisal. HOWEVER, that person has a hard time saying, "We sell this product, but it is not very good." or "We don't sell those. Our competition does and they are better than we are." Given that, one can ask about the models a shop has in stock and how their features compare, and how thier costs compare.

Also, most of us have friends who dive or belong to a dive club and you can see what those people use.

BUT MY CONCLUSION HAS BEEN THAT A DIVE COMPUTER MAKES DIVING SO MUCH BETTER THAT ONE SHOULD GET ONE AS SOON AS ONE CAN. For example, while we were at Truk, a Peace Corps volunteer with funds so limited she could not afford a computer dove the same sites we did. Her dives, done by the tables, lasted one third as long as ours--because we had to do multi-level, "roller coaster" dives due to the very nature of wreck diving! Imagine how much more she would have seen had she had a computer!

Sometimes technology does really improve our lives!

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom