Computers...On the wrist or On a hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info.
The reason I was leaning towards AI is that until I get my breathing down I like the safety net of knowning the approximate air time time remaining using the breathing sampling rate models these computers have.

Thanks again

"lose sync with the wrist unit from time to time" is an understatement for diving with Apollo AV-1 scooters. I have not seen any Wireless dive computer have a signal when the diver was using an Apollo scooter. So far, it's only been an annoyingly long wait for sync after shutting down.

An analog SPG works when the scooter is running, so since I have a hose and I need to look at that regularly might as well put viper on the hose too.

Personally, I'd go for hose type, a transmitter is far more likely to crap itself than the hose is. This way, you have only one major failure possibility, that the computer will crap itself, rather than both the computer and the transmitter being possible failure points.

Me? I use a Suunto Favor S in a console with the air gauge, I pried the depth guage out and slipped the puck computer into the hole, the depth gauge is in the pocket of the BCD so if my computer dies I can pull it out and still watch my ascent rate as I surface.

I go after crayfish/lobsters, reaching into cracks and crannies, so nothing on my wrists, it's all on a console clipped off to my BCDs D rings

I have been considering a wrist mount to replace my smart com console but the loss of synch comments have really put me off. Do they resynch themselves after a moment or do you need help from your buddy? I do a bit of solo diving (warm water in front of cocoview usually so no biggie) so reliability is my #1 concern. Thanks

I have been considering a wrist mount to replace my smart com console but the loss of synch comments have really put me off. Do they resynch themselves after a moment or do you need help from your buddy? I do a bit of solo diving (warm water in front of cocoview usually so no biggie) so reliability is my #1 concern. Thanks
I have never caught my Suunto D9 losing the signal from the tank. It used to happen all the time with other wireless AI computers; the difference might reflect improved technology or it might be because my strobes are on longer arms. Even when my computers used to drop the signal, sometimes pretty regularly, it didn't bother me that much--it usually returns in seconds, particularly if you place your computer close to the transmitter. If that is your only concern, however, just bring a backup analog pressure gauge--that's what I do on long trips.

If I were inclined towards a console AI computer I'd be looking at the Atomic Cobalt.

Diving is such a sport of personal preference and gear configuration depends so much on what type of diving you are going to end up doing. Personally when I first started diving I had my gauges in a console and it worked pretty well for a while. Then I started doing some deeper dives with more gear and it actually was more convenient and easier to use an AI computer and bottom timer on my arms. It meant I didn't have to go reaching for the information, I just had to lift my arms! It's true that sometimes the connection craps out, but it's only for a second and it's never been long enough to cause me any concern. Good luck with your decision!

I am new to diving and am looking for my first air integrated computer. Between wrist and hose mount what are the pros and cons of each.
The pros of a wrist mount are 'flexibility' and convenience - you can check your depth and time, and air by simply moving your (right) forearm or rotating your wrist. That is reflected in the many positive comments about wrist-mounted units. A possible related 'flexibility' 'pro' is that you could even use a different reg (without the AI transmitter), and still use the wrist unit as a computer and bottom timer, just without the AI interface. The cons are 1) it is somewhat easier to lose the computer than it would be to lose the entire console / regulator (either underwater or or the surface / boat / shore, and 2) the synchronization between the transmitter and computer is not altogether flawless, either because of low battery power in the transmitter or interference from the ambient environment. The periods when you lose synch are annoying but not terminal events. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference and, like most of the posters so far, I prefer a (right) wrist-mounted unit. I like the convenience of AI, but still like to check my SPG periodically.
tac747:
The reason I was leaning towards AI is that until I get my breathing down I like the safety net of knowning the approximate air time time remaining using the breathing sampling rate models these computers have.
OK, fair enough, thanks for explaining. There may be reasons why some would argue that this is either not necessary, or perhaps not an optimal approach to monitoring gas and bottom time. But, your comment makes sense, and it is nonetheless a reason for you to go AI.

If using only one bottom timer, I much prefer to keep it on my right wrist (yes, forearm; left arm ends up moving around a lot more than the right: fiddling with inflator/deflator, moving the light, etc).

Opps,

I meant right wrist for BT.

Tobin

tac747, may I recommend reading THIS article on gas management? If you have a useful strategy for apportioning the contents of your tank, and always maintain a safety reserve, then that "air time remaining" number becomes far less useful . . . and probably not worth the cost of a transmitter for air integration.

I prefer my air integrated PDC (Personal Dive Computer) mounted on my left wrist. With over 2000 dives using several, I have encountered ONE failure. A new battery didn't resolve that so I needed a new transmitter. It was easy enough to locate an emergency SPG so I didn't lose any dives! Now I dive with an SPG and an integrated PDC. I am not sure how long I will keep the SPG though. I have seen more dives called because of failed SPG o-rings and SPGs than just about anything else!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom