Computers...On the wrist or On a hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tac747

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to diving and am looking for my first air integrated computer. Between wrist and hose mount what are the pros and cons of each. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks...Tac

PS If this in in the wrong spot, sorry. I am new to the board

I am new to diving and am looking for my first air integrated computer. Between wrist and hose mount what are the pros and cons of each. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks...Tac

I prefer:

Compass on the left wrist (forearm actually), Bottom Timer on the right wrist (forearm)

Out where you can easily see them.

Tobin

Last edited:
I prefer:

Compass on the left wrist (forearm actually), Bottom Timer on the left wrist (forearm)

Out where you can easily see them.

Tobin

If using only one bottom timer, I much prefer to keep it on my right wrist (yes, forearm; left arm ends up moving around a lot more than the right: fiddling with inflator/deflator, moving the light, etc).

Whichever way you like.

There's no right place to carry your gauges.

I wear my computer and compass on the wrists. I wear computer and compass as a console attached to a hose. They both work.

Between wrist and hose mount what are the pros and cons of each.
Here you go:

Compass on left arm.

Gauge/Computer on right.

Period.
Period. 50Fathom does it that way--that's all you need to know. :wink:

Since you've already decided on an AI computer, I won't discuss the pros and cons of that, but a search will turn up a lot of worthwhile reading (and, as always, a lot of not-so-worthwhile reading).

A lot of the newer AI computers have an electronic compass built-in. Mine (Sunnto D9) is sufficient for the minimal navigating that I do, but if you dive in low visibility or have more serious navigating than mine (reef is east, ocean west), you may find a separate compass more useful. I have used both a console and wrist units, and I prefer wrist units because they are more easily accessible, especially when encumbered with extra gear, and because they are more streamlined. The principal advantage of a console--again, in my experience--is that it's impossible to forget your computer.

I started with an expensive air integrated computer hose attached. It failed high so I ended up replacing with brass spg and wrist mount computer - no AI.

Shearwater Predator is my favorite computer and I use a older DeltaP VR3 as backup. Both are wrist mounted.

Dwayne

I like my gauges on my wrists, because it makes it very easy to monitor them when I really need to, which is on descent and ascent. A depth gauge on your right wrist is easy to watch while you are using your left hand to vent your BC or your dry suit.

But air-integrated wrist computers are expensive and not totally reliable -- the transmitters eat batteries fairly quickly (and have no way of letting you know they are low) and they also lose sync with the wrist unit from time to time. Since I do not need to check my pressure on the minute-to-minute basis that I need to check depth and time, I'm happy with a simple pressure gauge clipped off to my waist, and my non-air-integrated wrist unit.

Here you go:

Period. 50Fathom does it that way--that's all you need to know. :wink:

Appy-polly-loggies.

I mis-spoke. What I meant to say was:

"It's a sport of preference. Do what you want."

I should have just expressed my preference for wrist-mounts, and perhaps my disdain for consoles, without all the absolutism.

My mistake. It shan't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom