Computers for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the OP seems to have gotten what he was looking for from this thread......
As someone who has legitimately looked at buying a perdix, can you tell me why I should buy a Cochran? What is your sales pitch? Why should I buy your product vs the competition?

Since the OP seems to have gotten what he was looking for from this thread......
As someone who has legitimately looked at buying a perdix, can you tell me why I should buy a Cochran? What is your sales pitch? Why should I buy your product vs the competition?
GlennL,

We don't have a sales pitch, what we have is the USN and other navies around the world diving Cochran dive computers made in TEXAS :unitedstates:
not just another pretty face
EMC-20H - EMC-16
COCHRAN
designed for use, not fashion

Have a great day
Safe Diving
John

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center Orlando, Florida Nov 1-4, 2017.

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, TX. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU List) Program" and its dive computers are being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

GlennL,

We don't have a sales pitch, what we have is the USN and other navies around the world diving Cochran dive computers made in TEXAS :unitedstates:
EMC-20H - EMC-16
COCHRAN

Have a great day
Safe Diving
John

Come visit Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military at Booth 2363 at the DEMA SHOW, Orange County Convention Center Orlando, Florida Nov 1-4, 2017.

Cochran Undersea Technology & Cochran Military designs, manufactures, and markets state-of-the-art diving computers for recreational, technical, CCR and commercial divers from our facility located in Richardson, TX. Cochran has been designing dive computers for itself and others for over twenty five years. Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are "Authorization for Navy Use (ANU List) Program" and its dive computers are being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

Just curious, do you happen to know which rebreathers the US Navy uses? And which fins? And other gear? The people who want to choose a computer just because the US Navy (or other navies around the world) uses it might also want to know which other gear to buy, too.

I would have thought the head of Sales for Cochran could offer more reasons than that for choosing a Cochran computer over a Shearwater. But, if the only reason is "because that's what the USN uses," then so be it.

In my case, what the US Navy uses is far less important (to me) than using the tools my instructors have trained me to use. Not necessarily a specific brand. But, when it comes to computers, using the algorithms that are supported by the dive computers and desktop computer dive planning software that I have been trained to use. That also makes it very handy for planning dives with other divers, since almost all the guys I would dive with also use the same algorithm I use, as well as compatible desktop dive planning software.

There may be some type of diving where that risk and the consequences of it are so serious as to matter.

But, the number of dives being done with Shearwaters and the number of "big" dives being done (successfully) has convinced me that the Shearwater buttons don't pose any kind of significant risk to me. Not enough risk to live with needing a tool to turn it on.
Long before you were doing your DSD in Maui, HI in 2013 divers were doing "big" dives SUCCESSFULLY with Cochran dive computers. With 4 plus years of diving you, well never mind it's a little tenacious to get in a pissing match with you.

GlennL,

EMC-20H - EMC-16
COCHRAN

Have a great day
Safe Diving
John

:confused: I must be confused.

All I got from that was the military uses it so that says it all. Hmmm. I am prior military (Airforce) and I have my own views on military procurement and product selection. But that's another topic.
My takeaway is that you base your business model on military sales. So why even bother with public forums if you can't tell a recreational diver why they should buy your product vs a competitor. Hey it may be the bee's knees. But you didn't take the opportunity to explain why you stand by your products features.

Just simply, oh the Navy uses it.... nuff said.

I don't really care for any of the active OLED displays that are so prevalent today, but that's just my personal choice.
Shearwater does not use OLED displays in their current lineup - they use high resolution LED backlit color LCD displays. What don't you like about them?

I find they have great visibility in all conditions, both on the surface and at depth. They are fantastic for night dives as well and with their auto brightness function adjust for the conditions in real time to ensure high visibility. Battery life is excellent as well!

Here's a screen grab of my non-AI Perdix from a recent Gopro video (red display is due to a red dive filter):

i-Kpc7m7L-M.png

I can't imagine anyone having an issue with this display - clear, customizable, highly visible presentation of pertinent dive data - what's not to like?

Attachments

• i-Kpc7m7L-S.png
    i-Kpc7m7L-S.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 66
:confused: I must be confused.

All I got from that was the military uses it so that says it all. Hmmm. I am prior military (Airforce) and I have my own views on military procurement and product selection. But that's another topic.
My takeaway is that you base your business model on military sales. So why even bother with public forums if you can't tell a recreational diver why they should buy your product vs a competitor. Hey it may be the bee's knees. But you didn't take the opportunity to explain why you stand by your products features.

Just simply, oh the Navy uses it.... nuff said.

I'm not going to ever tell a diver what to buy. 41 years ago when I first got my open water cert I researched and dove every piece of dive gear I could get my hands on. I didn't care what my Instructors were diving mainly because they got a keyman deal from the distributor through the dive shop they were working for,i.e. SALES.

Cochran specs are on our website just like other dive computer companies have on their website and I would suggest you look at the specs and compare.

Long before you were doing your DSD in Maui, HI in 2013 divers were doing "big" dives SUCCESSFULLY with Cochran dive computers. With 4 plus years of diving you, well never mind it's a little tenacious to get in a pissing match with you.

I didn't get my OW certification until November of 2014. I only consider myself to have less than 3 years experience diving. But, thank you for giving me extra credit.

In the future, when I am looking for a computer that was good for big dives back before 2013, I will be sure to check out Cochran. In the meantime, I don't really know enough to figure too much out for myself, so I will stick to stuff that reflects Best Practices that have come from decompression research from 2016 or so. At least, to the best of my "young" knowledge.

I'm not going to ever tell a diver what to buy. 41 years ago when I first got my open water cert I researched and dove every piece of dive gear I could get my hands on. I didn't care what my Instructors were diving mainly because they got a keyman deal from the distributor through the dive shop they were working for,i.e. SALES.

Cochran specs are on our website just like other dive computer companies have on their website and I would suggest you look at the specs and compare.

I can understand different viewpoints in regards to this. I have "googled" Cochran computers and found wanting. I have visited the website and found it lackluster. It all seems outdated.
On the other hand I see a man who believes he has an awesome product, stands by it, and lets the product speak for itself. I truly respect that. Although until yesterday I have never heard of Cochran computers. And I researched the s**t out of computers before I bought my second one.
You may very well have a top notch computer. I just haven't heard you say why it is.

Shearwater does not use OLED displays in their current lineup - they use high resolution LED backlit color LCD displays. What don't you like about them?

I find they have great visibility in all conditions, both on the surface and at depth. They are fantastic for night dives as well and with their auto brightness function adjust for the conditions in real time to ensure high visibility. Battery life is excellent as well!

Here's a screen grab of my non-AI Perdix from a recent Gopro video (red display is due to a red dive filter):

View attachment 425292

I can't imagine anyone having an issue with this display - clear, customizable, highly visible presentation of pertinent dive data - what's not to like?
I just dove (OC 47 dives) my Shearwater PERDIX AI and it's an awesome, fun dive computer but the battery is an issue. My Saft LS 14500 3.6 V lithium-thionyl chloride battery was brand-new, it's reading one bar at 1.5V after 16 days of diving. I dove the NEW Cochran Lifeguard side by side and I started with 3.1 volts on my Wrist Unit, PBAT & SBAT of my CPU and end with 3.0 on all units after 16 days of diving.
On a personal note I liked a lot of the features on both dive computers but I believe the Cochran algorithm is better. Also being able to upload my dives instantaneously to my iPhone was pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom