Computers and cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I plan on diving in the ice/cold water here, soon.

I am worried that my Cobra screen will be slow or non-existent in very cold water-just like a calculator screen.

Any problems with them?

-Mike

LCD's do get slow when they get cold, but those temperatures tend to be far below freezing.. I've seen LCD's get slow, but it's usually when it's closer to 0 outside.

I regularly dive below 45-50 degrees and have had no problems with a variety of digital watches and computers.

I've used Suunto and Uwatec computers in water below 0 C which was full of ice crystal mush and they were all fine, They were still functioning post dive when the water on them iced over on the surface at about -10 C

(PS Greenland is a great Place to dive!)

I've seen uwatec BTs give up the ghost following an immersion
in cold water (less than 40) and exposure to cold air.

i've also seen other watches do the same.

almost ANY bit of gear is susceptible to cold.

My Uwatec SmartCOM has been in water temps down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit...no problems yet.

And it's not like you're playing video-games on the thing...numbers shouldn't be zipping by that fast that slowdown is a problem.

Just remember the newest Uwatec SMART computers have a really stupid design bug, in that they penalise you badly for being in cold water, despite the fact that you are in a drysuit and several layers of thinsulate and probably warmer than someone in a skin in the carribean.

Before you worry about the computer, make sure you have a redundant air supply and follow all the usual cold water anti free flow stuff, like not breathing from the DV before you go in etc

By the way water above 4C (about 38F) is not cold, its normal here. Its only cold when it gets to thick to swim in:D

Put it in a bucket of ice water and see how it reacts. I guess it won't stay on but if you can't wake it up I'd think there are issues...

Yeah, that is kind of annoying about the SmartCOMs....

Hrmm, the water is 40 degrees, so he's not off-gassing as fast. Never mind he's sweating like crazy in a drysuit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom