computer useage in DIR ? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff,

You are seeing one of the best things about ScubaBoard. When bad advice is given, it usually doesn't slide by without being noticed.

Think about where you will be diving and get the appropriate suit.
Also, consider that you are a new diver and that tech diving is for later on.

If you are going to be diving exclusively in our mountain lakes and over in Cal you might want to get a drysuit as soon as possible. But if you are going to be diving our desert or going to Rocky Point, San Carlos or Coz, you're going to want the right tool for the job.

And... I don't see how renting a wetsuit until you can afford to go dry will save you any money. They just aren't that expensive. You certainly don't have to "shoot your wad" to get one. How many days can you rent a suit before you have bought it?

SA

Braunbehrens once long ago (the 5th post in this thread) bubbled...
Every dive is a deco dive, so on every dive I stop at least at 40 ft, 30 ft, and 20 ft for 1 minute. If I have gas and time I'll do a 2 ft per minute ascent from 10 ft, it's excellent practice.

If you do this, most computers will yell at you for violating a "safety stop".

What computers have you seen that "yell at you for violating a safety stop" as you describe above? Oceanic, Genesis, Aeris, etc. will not, nor do I believe will the Cochrans.

Charlie

Ditching gas via the purge method would be risky in cold water. Something about willingly dumping gas when in trouble also seems to scare me for some reason too... :D

The dry suit discussion has been moved here.
Rick

:confused:

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to take a good computer and cripple its capability by setting it to run only in gauge mode.

It is, of course, extremely important for divers to have a good understanding of the basis of, function of, and usage of dive tables. It is also important to carry back-up tables for redundancy purposes.

No one, however, can sample all of the variables sampled by the modern computer and calculate their changing effect on a diver's decompression requirements as rapidly as a computer can! (Well perhaps the "Rain Man" could, but...)

The net effect of using a computer in the suggested manner would be akin to putting a blade with no teeth in a power saw. I suppose one could, but why in the heck would you want to? :confused:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to take a good computer and cripple its capability by setting it to run only in gauge mode.

It is, of course, extremely important for divers to have a good understanding of the basis of, function of, and usage of dive tables. It is also important to carry back-up tables for redundancy purposes.

No one, however, can sample all of the variables sampled by the modern computer and calculate their changing effect on a diver's decompression requirements as rapidly as a computer can! (Well perhaps the "Rain Man" could, but...)

The net effect of using a computer in the suggested manner would be akin to putting a blade with no teeth in a power saw. I suppose one could, but why in the heck would you want to? :confused:

Excellent question, BigJet, which I am happy to answer.

1) Decompression is a much less exact science than we are led to believe.

2) Your brain is a much more powerful computer than the one on your wrist.

3) If someone keeps giving you the answer you'll never learn for yourself.

4) The computer bases it's decisions on algorithms that are antiquated and less accurate then more current theories

5) You are smarter than your computer (again).

6) If your computer craps out it doesn't matter, because you know what you did, why you did it, and how to proceed.

7) We should not let machines run our lives and ...

Hey, wait a sec., look at the time, my tv show is on...gotta run.

With apologies to Bill Watterson

I thought I'd throw this in as well, although most of you have probably read these reasons before. (whether you agree with them or not)

-ARW

Baker's Dozen for not using a Dive Computer By Jarrod Jablonski

1) Dive computers tend to induce significant levels of diver dependance,
eliminating the awareness so common and essential to all diving but
particularly obvious when diving tables

2) Dive computers do not allow proper planning as divers can't properly
"study" the impact of various mixture and decompression choices.

3) Dive computers are of very limited educational benefit as they do not
induce questioning, or proper planning discussions as can be found with
tables and most particularly with deco programs

4) Dive computer programmers often play games with computational process
so that they can take insulate themselves from the risk of taking
largely square profile data and utilizing it on a multilevel dive. These
games tend to result in odd and often ridiculous levels of conservation.

5) Dive computers are expensive and in some cases leave divers with
limited resources carrying equipment that is of far less benefit than
other equipment that may have been purchased.

6) Dive computers significantly limit the likelihood that divers will
track their residual nitrogen groups.

7) Dive computers do not allow for Helium diving in any formats but the
bulkiest and most questionable format.

8) Dive computers will often generate longer decompressions than could
be figured by an astute, well educated diver with experience.

9) Dive computers often create confusion by giving the user to much
useless information, sometimes even obscuring depth and time in favor of
blinking CNS and/or deco limitations.

10) Dive computers can become very difficult to properly if a deco stop
has been violated. Some computers lock up completely while others just
beep or generate erroneous and distracting information. Divers using
mixed gasses are likely to often violate computer profiles.

11) Dive computers do not allow for the educated diver to properly
modify their decompression to account for advancing knowledge such as
the use of deeper stops in a decompression profile.

12) Dive computers do not offer divers as much flexibility in the
generation of profiles with varying conservation. For example the right
mix would allow 100 min at 60 vs 60 at 60 but I might prefer to do one
or the other and indeed might like a compromise. Computers confuse this
issue by not providing divers with the proper information.

13) Dive computers users often ignore table proficiency and therefore do
not learn tables properly. When confronted with a situation where they
can't dive the computer (failure, loss, travel etc) these divers are at
a serious handicap.

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

As mentioned previously, I use mine for the ability to download the profiles onto my home computer afterwards. You can't do that with any bottom timer (that I know of).

I originally used it before I knew any better, but I'm glad I bought it for the above reason.

awarner once bubbled...
I thought I'd throw this in as well, although most of you have probably read these reasons before. (whether you agree with them or not)

Thought I'd throw in a rebuttle from the puddlestompers perspective.

1) Dive computers tend to induce significant levels of diver dependance, eliminating the awareness so common and essential to all diving but particularly obvious when diving tables

nothing to disagree with there. (sorry, must be my first rebuttle :) )

2) Dive computers do not allow proper planning as divers can't properly "study" the impact of various mixture and decompression choices.

Doesn't apply. Puddlestompers don't do mix and they don't do deco.

3) Dive computers are of very limited educational benefit as they do not induce questioning, or proper planning discussions as can be found with tables and most particularly with deco programs

Who cares? Puddlestompers want to have fun. And what's all this about "proper planning"..... you get in the water, you swim around and you come out at 50bar. That sounds like a plan to me. It might not work for JJ but it works for millions of other divers.

4) Dive computer programmers often play games with computational process so that they can take insulate themselves from the risk of taking largely square profile data and utilizing it on a multilevel dive. These games tend to result in odd and often ridiculous levels of conservation.

Better safe than sorry. I don't see the problem here.

5) Dive computers are expensive and in some cases leave divers with limited resources carrying equipment that is of far less benefit than other equipment that may have been purchased.

How much does that fancy Halcyon rebreather cost that JJ rides? And all those scooters? Jeeez. For the money he spends on *fills* a typical diver could buy a new set of gear every year. A computer is a drop in the bucket. And frankly if someone want to spend money on a computer instead of fancy tekky-toys, who is JJ to judge?

So what? The computer tracks them. That's what a computer is *for*. To take your mind off of these details.

7) Dive computers do not allow for Helium diving in any formats but the bulkiest and most questionable format.

And that's a damned good thing too because if it accounted for helium most divers would be paying functionality they *really* don't need.

8) Dive computers will often generate longer decompressions than could be figured by an astute, well educated diver with experience.

Who cares. PUddlestompers don't do deco.

9) Dive computers often create confusion by giving the user to much useless information, sometimes even obscuring depth and time in favor of blinking CNS and/or deco limitations.

No they don't. Maybe some of them do but not the good ones. This is simply untrue. Maybe JJ has trouble with them because in terms of computers he's a newbie.

10) Dive computers can become very difficult to properly if a deco stop has been violated. Some computers lock up completely while others just beep or generate erroneous and distracting information. Divers using mixed gasses are likely to often violate computer profiles.

Refer to question 8

11) Dive computers do not allow for the educated diver to properly modify their decompression to account for advancing knowledge such as the use of deeper stops in a decompression profile.

Refer to question 8

generation of profiles with varying conservation. For example the right mix would allow 100 min at 60 vs 60 at 60 but I might prefer to do one or the other and indeed might like a compromise. Computers confuse this issue by not providing divers with the proper information.

Mix? What's that? is like Air because that's what puddlestopmers dive with. Who cares about all these bells and whistles. Most divers don't need or want them.

13) Dive computers users often ignore table proficiency and therefore do not learn tables properly. When confronted with a situation where they can't dive the computer (failure, loss, travel etc) these divers are at a serious handicap.

Table proficiency? Many puddlestompers don't learn the tables well enough to use them a month after they're certified. For better or for worse the computer has become and will remain an essential piece of dive gear. It's like a buoyancy controller. BCD's never used to be standard gear either but people adopted them because they work and it makes diving easier and more fun. Anyone out there still dive without one? I see JJ has one.

The point is (yes, I am going to spell it out) is that JJ (et al) take their paradigm and project it onto everything and everybody but their paradigm doesn't fit everything and everybody. Doing so sounds as rediculous to me as saying "oh. just take your al80 and swim 5km into a cave with it. You should be ok as long as you're out with 50 bar". The puddlestomper paradigm doesn't fit JJ either. These are two different worlds with two very different sets of rules.

R..

I'll add a rebuttal to your rebuttal. Soon we'll be swimming in butts.

Just kidding, thought I'd elaborate on a few points:

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Thought I'd throw in a rebuttle from the puddlestompers perspective.

2) Dive computers do not allow proper planning as divers can't properly "study" the impact of various mixture and decompression choices.

Doesn't apply. Puddlestompers don't do mix and they don't do deco.

Every single dive you do is a deco dive. If you are not stopping at all, then you are decompressing on ascent. If you do a safety stop...you are doing a DECO stop. Even rec divers can benefit from understanding how deco works, and how to properly ascend from any dive. As for mix, plently of recreational divers use nitrox. Some even use trimix.

3) Dive computers are of very limited educational benefit as they do not induce questioning, or proper planning discussions as can be found with tables and most particularly with deco programs

Who cares? Puddlestompers want to have fun. And what's all this about "proper planning"..... you get in the water, you swim around and you come out at 50bar. That sounds like a plan to me. It might not work for JJ but it works for millions of other divers.

That works fine, until you are on a liveaboard and doing 5 dives a day. Every diver will eventually want to plan a dive. Even if you don't plan, the simple fact is that your brain is a much better computer than the one on your wrist.

4) Dive computer programmers often play games with computational process so that they can take insulate themselves from the risk of taking largely square profile data and utilizing it on a multilevel dive. These games tend to result in odd and often ridiculous levels of conservation.

Better safe than sorry. I don't see the problem here.

There is no problem as long as you don't have any reason to push things. However, when you go on that liveaboard trip, you'll want to maximize your diving. It's far better to know where to stand, than to push against some invisible line somwhere.

5) Dive computers are expensive and in some cases leave divers with limited resources carrying equipment that is of far less benefit than other equipment that may have been purchased.

How much does that fancy Halcyon rebreather cost that JJ rides? And all those scooters? Jeeez. For the money he spends on *fills* a typical diver could buy a new set of gear every year. A computer is a drop in the bucket. And frankly if someone want to spend money on a computer instead of fancy tekky-toys, who is JJ to judge?

I think you are being a little bit disingenous here, so I'll just let it go.

So what? The computer tracks them. That's what a computer is *for*. To take your mind off of these details.

Until your computer fails, and you sit out for 2 days, or worse, your battery contacts have a poor connection and after 4 days of heavy diving your computer thinks it's the FIRST dive again. This actually happened to a buddy of mine, but because he's an exceptional diver he immediately noticed that the times the computer were giving him were unrealistic. Don't stake your health on some electronics surrounded by salt water.

I don't know if I would call this "details", but if it is, then 'the devil is in the details'

7) Dive computers do not allow for Helium diving in any formats but the bulkiest and most questionable format.

And that's a damned good thing too because if it accounted for helium most divers would be paying functionality they *really* don't need.

Yes, no one needs a computer that can do helium. However, anyone diving below 80 fsw or so should definitely dive Helium. Just my opinion, you understand.

8) Dive computers will often generate longer decompressions than could be figured by an astute, well educated diver with experience.

Who cares. PUddlestompers don't do deco.

Yeah, until they get in trouble somehow and end up having 8 minutes of deco showing on the computer. More likely than not they'll race for the first stop that the computer indicates, which is at 20 fsw. Now that's REAL healthy.

9) Dive computers often create confusion by giving the user to much useless information, sometimes even obscuring depth and time in favor of blinking CNS and/or deco limitations.

No they don't. Maybe some of them do but not the good ones. This is simply untrue. Maybe JJ has trouble with them because in terms of computers he's a newbie.

That's really funny, I almost drenched my monitor! Actually, most computers that I know of display the NDL time in much larger numbers than the dive time, so I'd have to say JJ is right on this one

generation of profiles with varying conservation. For example the right mix would allow 100 min at 60 vs 60 at 60 but I might prefer to do one or the other and indeed might like a compromise. Computers confuse this issue by not providing divers with the proper information.

Mix? What's that? is like Air because that's what puddlestopmers dive with. Who cares about all these bells and whistles. Most divers don't need or want them.

Plenty of divers use nitrox. Air is great though, it gets me to the dive site. I put it in my tires.

13) Dive computers users often ignore table proficiency and therefore do not learn tables properly. When confronted with a situation where they can't dive the computer (failure, loss, travel etc) these divers are at a serious handicap.

Table proficiency? Many puddlestompers don't learn the tables well enough to use them a month after they're certified. For better or for worse the computer has become and will remain an essential piece of dive gear. It's like a buoyancy controller. BCD's never used to be standard gear either but people adopted them because they work and it makes diving easier and more fun. Anyone out there still dive without one? I see JJ has one.

The point is (yes, I am going to spell it out) is that JJ (et al) take their paradigm and project it onto everything and everybody but their paradigm doesn't fit everything and everybody. Doing so sounds as rediculous to me as saying "oh. just take your al80 and swim 5km into a cave with it. You should be ok as long as you're out with 50 bar". The puddlestomper paradigm doesn't fit JJ either. These are two different worlds with two very different sets of rules.

R.. [/B]

The difference is that if you listen to JJ you will have more fun, you will dive more, and you will have less fear in the water. It's not about forcing everyone to become a cave diver. It's about common sense.

For example, being horizontal in the water makes more sense than being vertical. Why? Well, when you are diving you want to minimze up and down movement, while encouraging forward movement. When you are vertical in the water, it's really easy to go up and down, there is no resistance. Going forward, however, offers lots of surface area for the water to push against. Being horizontal in the water isn't just about silting out a cave or not....it's EASIER!

Using a long hose on your primary, and dontating it in case of trouble, is the same thing again. Yes, it's very useful in a cave, when you have a restriction and have to go single file, blah blah blah. But guess what, when you're out of air it's much nicer to have a nice long 7 ft hose that you KNOW has got a working reg on it offered to you, as opposed to a 30" hose with a piece of &$^$ at the end that is probably full of sand. It doesn't matter if you're in a cave or not.

Knowing how to clear your mask is very important in a cave, but next time you buddy up with a moron and he kicks the mask right off your face, you'll be glad you learned that skill.

Etc. etc. etc.

PS No offense, everyone can dive the way they want to, I really don't care. But the arguments for diving the way JJ outlines are solid. Ignore them if you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom