computer useage in DIR ? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffyjak once bubbled...
thank you, I feel you've given good advice :wink:
I am looking at the aeris atmos 2, it has all of the requirements you suggested..... & the price is right for me....
thanks again!
jeff

Make sure you look at the warranty. I bought a suunto Stinger, and it malfunctioned several times. Now I don't feel comfortable using it, or selling it. Basically I'm out 600 bucks and I have a very heavy watch.

Come to think of it, it's time to contact SUUNTO about this and see what they have to say.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

Regulator is definitely the first thing. After that I'd get a suit, because an ill-fitting suit is the pits, and then a BC. Of course I would recommend a backplate and wings.

If you are serious about diving, don't buy a wet suit. You'll want a drysuit soon enough, so hold off until you have money for a drysuit.

That's the wierdest advice that I've seen in awhile. hmm...I guess you can dive in your underwear while you're saving up for that drysuit.

Decide where you are going to be diving most and then get the appropriate exposure protection. Here in AZ a shorty and a 6mil will let you dive year round and will take you places from the Channel islands to Coz. You can get a lot of "serious" diving in before you go dry.

You should come down to Phoenix, Jeff. We can go to Lake Pleasant and get some dives in. (You can watch me sweat like a pig, as I try to get in the water before my drysuit sucks the life out of me.) We can talk gear and/or DIR.

SA

I'd love to come down & dive pleasant! or, you can come up & we'll go dive in willow spgs! it's above payson, definitely cold there! not a lot to see, but it is blowing bubbles...

actually, I have had no problem at all so far w/ renting my wetsuit.... maybe I've just been lucky... but figured I'd keep renting, & in meantime save up for a dry suit... we had an instructor in flagstaff who used & owned nothing but a drysuit....
even for rocky point mexico!

jeffyjak once bubbled...
actually, I have had no problem at all so far w/ renting my wetsuit.... maybe I've just been lucky... but figured I'd keep renting, & in meantime save up for a dry suit... we had an instructor in flagstaff who used & owned nothing but a drysuit....
even for rocky point mexico!

That was exactly what I was suggesting! Diving CA you'll want a drysuit eventually anyway, so why blow your wad on a wetsuit. A wetsuit is a nice thing to have, but I have two haning in the basement that I haven't worn for years. Why be cold if you don't have to?

Looks like you're definitely going in the right direction. More fun ahead!

All my personal diving is DIR, and I also am an instructor, so having a computer is important, and poses no violation to DIR as long as it is in Gauge mode when used for that specific type of diving. SUUNTO is by far the best computer to get, but I agree with sticking with the Vyper or Vytec. The Vytec allows you to use multiple EANx mixtures, but if you are doing that sort of diving, you should be using gauge mode anyway, so the Vyper is the best buy. The ability to download your profiles is very important. This is how we analyze our profiles, decompression and understand what is happening on every step of the dive. As you become fully aware of this, the need for the profile deminishes and then you can go with the bottom timer such as the UWATEC.

For the Regs, Apeks are definitely the best choice, but be aware of the ATX50 with the swivel. That will wear in time, and then you will have an issue with the O-Ring. I know from experience because before I became a competent tech diver, I purchased those, and I learned the hard way. You don't want any potential failure points in your equipment, so go with the ATX 100 or ATX 200.

Now for exposure protection. If you do any type of technical diving a 6mm wetsuit is unforgivable. Get a drysuit as was already mentioned previously. There is a big misconception that a drysuit if only for cold waters. Very wrong. The drysuit is the suit of choice not only for exposure protection, but for proper buoyancy, trim, balance, safety and comfort. Even when I have surface temperatures of 40c I use my TLS350 and 200g Thinsulate, and I am not overheated in any way during the dive, and staying warm and comfortable is the key to effective decompression. Using a wetsuit only leads to problems not solutions.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
All my personal diving is DIR, and I also am an instructor, so having a computer is important, and poses no violation to DIR as long as it is in Gauge mode when used for that specific type of diving. SUUNTO is by far the best computer to get, but I agree with sticking with the Vyper or Vytec. The Vytec allows you to use multiple EANx mixtures, but if you are doing that sort of diving, you should be using gauge mode anyway, so the Vyper is the best buy. The ability to download your profiles is very important. This is how we analyze our profiles, decompression and understand what is happening on every step of the dive. As you become fully aware of this, the need for the profile deminishes and then you can go with the bottom timer such as the UWATEC.

For the Regs, Apeks are definitely the best choice, but be aware of the ATX50 with the swivel. That will wear in time, and then you will have an issue with the O-Ring. I know from experience because before I became a competent tech diver, I purchased those, and I learned the hard way. You don't want any potential failure points in your equipment, so go with the ATX 100 or ATX 200.

Now for exposure protection. If you do any type of technical diving a 6mm wetsuit is unforgivable. Get a drysuit as was already mentioned previously. There is a big misconception that a drysuit if only for cold waters. Very wrong. The drysuit is the suit of choice not only for exposure protection, but for proper buoyancy, trim, balance, safety and comfort. Even when I have surface temperatures of 40c I use my TLS350 and 200g Thinsulate, and I am not overheated in any way during the dive, and staying warm and comfortable is the key to effective decompression. Using a wetsuit only leads to problems not solutions.
My BS meter is pegged!
E. itajara

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Now for exposure protection. If you do any type of technical diving a 6mm wetsuit is unforgivable... The drysuit is the suit of choice not only for exposure protection, but for proper buoyancy, trim, balance, safety and comfort. Even when I have surface temperatures of 40c ... Using a wetsuit only leads to problems not solutions.

Interesting take. Could you explain how "a wetsuit only leads to problems"?

Also where are you diving with surface temps of 104°F that you still wear a drysuit?

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom