Computer too? or Instead of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbteel

Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of a new reg setup and have a question regarding the utilization of dive computers. Are air integrated dive computers (ie. Suunto Cobra, etc.)intended to replace the typical analog dive console or should they be used in addition to? It seems to me there should be some redundancy in the event of a computer failure, etc. I am a recreational diver and redundancy is not typically mission critical but does seem sensible. On the other hand it is an extra hose hanging from the BC. Any users observations are appreciated.

You've hit the nail right on the head when it comes to air integrated computers: if they fail, you have no way of knowing how much air is left in your tank. That's the reason I gave up on the one I had in 97. When it blanked out in the midst of a dive, I had to abort the dive.

So I went back to using a regular dive computer that fits in my console along with my spg. (I also have a dive watch I wear as a backup timing device in case the PC fails; I generally plan out the dive in advance using the Wheel.)

I dont' disagree that the AI units are cool, but I don't want to go through that again! :(

~SubMariner~

If you blow a high pressure hose, you not only lose your spg, you lose your air as well - you'll definitely abort the dive. Pretty much any gear failure will cause you to abort the dive. How often have you seen an air integrated computer fail? I probably have more opportunity to see the results than most, and it's rare. I see more blown hoses, high or low pressure. As you say, you are a recreational diver, and it's not mission critical. If you are diving safely, you'll have a pretty good idea of what you have in your tank, and what your deco requirement is, if any, at any given time. You abort the dive and come back some other time. If I was running close enough to the edge on air for it to be of concern, I would be having a look at my diving skills and practices. Ditto if I was concerned about being able to do a safe abort without gauges.

dbteel...

Air integrated computers are great.... The way its suppose to work is you have the, lets say for example, Cobra in place of your analog console. In addition to your Cobra console for safety measure it is a good idea to carry a spg also. Computer fails at dept you are suppose to ascend for a decompression stop at 10-20 ft, for how ever long your air supply will keep you there or resonable amount of time, then your suppose to surface and not dive for 24 hours. Equipment failure will make you abort your dive no matter what you have for a console. I hope this helps.

Dive Safe...

Aardal
:peace:

Hey DBTeel & All,

I dive the Suunto Cobra, and I love it. I have very powerful legs, so when I want to ascend, I tend to just pop to the surface.... bad diver! My Cobra's alarms keep me in check. I like that. Now to be honest, I am very aware of how fast I surface, but now and then in the excitement of the dive ALL of us forget! Those little alarms can make all the diference!

Pete from Orlando...

I dive a wrist band computer - for one thing - I find it much more convenient to look at than a console. I have in the past thought of air integrated, but really, if you can't keep an eye on your gauges I don't see how the air integrated is going to help you, and I work enough with computers to know that they will fail, in that case we thne take the computer and the console as a backup... Now I have more sh** dangling from the rig and stirring up stuff.

I say go as simple as possible (not to mention that a brass pressure gauge is a lot cheaper than any air integrated computer).

Terkel

This is a question I continue to struggle with. My computer decision is going to be based on both the features of the computer as well as how I dive.

I am attracted to the air-integrated Cobra because: (1) I like the precision of a digital pressure gauge; (2) I like the ability to download my dive information to a computer, including air consumption at various points during the dive as well as my air remaining; (3) I like the compactness of the Cobra and the ability to have air/depth/compass all in one place; (4) I like the ability via the Cobra to monitor how fast my consumption rate is during the dive, potentially helping to better control my breathing rate; and (5) Suunto reliability and conservatism.

I am attracted to the Vyper (non-air intergrated version of the Cobra) because: (1) Ease of use of having computer on right wrist -- especially useful if free-ascending from deeper depths...use left arm to control BCD inflator/deflator/right arm to monitor depth/scent rate; (2) Provides all the same data as Cobra does, except for air (downloadable as well); (3) Easier to have redundancy with console and wrist computer (at least for depth info); (4) Lower potential for failure with SPG (big question mark on this one); (5) I have heard comments about Cobra hose being too short, making ease of use more difficult (this may be easily fixed by getting a longer hose); (6) Vyper is much cheaper ($285 via diveinn or simplyscuba.com); and (7) It's a Suunto.

You will not get a definitive answer on this -- some will say computers are subject to failure; others will say that computers are no more failure-prone than an SPG. Evaluate the choices as they pertain to your diving situation and choose what makes sense.

Hope this is helpful.

Originally posted by WetDane
I dive a wrist band computer - for one thing - I find it much more convenient to look at than a console. I have in the past thought of air integrated, but really, if you can't keep an eye on your gauges I don't see how the air integrated is going to help you, and I work enough with computers to know that they will fail, in that case we thne take the computer and the console as a backup... Now I have more sh** dangling from the rig and stirring up stuff.

I say go as simple as possible (not to mention that a brass pressure gauge is a lot cheaper than any air integrated computer).

Terkel

You hit the nail on the head there terkel.

I recently found a natty little guage thing that screws into the HP port of the first stage that lights up (and flashes I think) when someone gets below 50 Bar (they also do a version that is by the contents guage).

As some-one that DM's frequently, this is something I would like to see more often used, simply because I have a visible warning, and if I have a large group it makes it easier for meto keep an eye on peoples air condumption.

Jon T

I dont believe that a computer, air integrated or not, should replace a SPG or vice versa. In my humble opinion both are essential for a safe dive. If either fails then you have the other to back you up. Jon T - that natty little guage thing you mention sounds interesting, where did you see it? I think I would prefer it to flash at 70 bar though in order to extend the safety margin.

Originally posted by Maggie
I dont believe that a computer, air integrated or not, should replace a SPG or vice versa. In my humble opinion both are essential for a safe dive. If either fails then you have the other to back you up. Jon T - that natty little guage thing you mention sounds interesting, where did you see it? I think I would prefer it to flash at 70 bar though in order to extend the safety margin.

I origionally saw a review in Diver - but they had the SPG mounted light, I then went to my local place (Here in Lyon) which stocks Seac Sub, and they had them on the shelf. I think that you can change the pressure on them but I'm not sure.

Jon T

Back
Top Bottom