Computer that won't leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl Marx

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a couple of Tusa IQ800s. Like the model very much; however, they both leaked after I changed the batteries. I have to assume that I just didn't do it right. Either I didn't tighten the screw-cap enough, didn't grease the o-ring. Whatever. Anyway, I can't afford my user errors.

I'd like any suggestions on makes/models anybody can suggest I should look at so that I won't be left with a leaked-computer. The possibilities that occur to me include:

- models where only the manufacturer can change the battery (I can't screw it up myself)
- models with an especially robust mechanism for screwing the case closed (e.g., really big seal held down by
many screws that can be set with a torque wrench)
- models with no open path between the battery compartment and the computer itself
I can accept that the battery compartment leaks and my computer fails on that dive;
provided that water can't ruin the computer itself. I only lose the battery.
- battery that charges inductively (like a rechargeable toothbrush)
- computer that I might be able to dis-assemble and re-mount in a case of my own design
in such a scenario I could "pot" the computer itself in epoxy so no water could ever get inside
with a separate battery compartment which might have 2 or 3 separate seals; which I could still
screw up but would flood only the battery compartment but not flood the computer
- anything else?

Thanks

Although they are expensive, none of the Liquivision computers will flood the computer works with a battery problem. The X1 is totally sealed -- it doesn't even have buttons. The Xen and Xeo have a user-changeable battery, but only the battery compartment floods if there is a leak, and it doesn't affect the long-term function of the computer.

TSandMs advice is good as always. If you are not confident in replacing your own battery, which is convenient, then buy a computer that is completely sealed as TSandM suggests. Or one that uses a rechargeable fitted battery. Or one that requires it being sent to factory/dealer, not as convenient and adds to cost but if it leaks after a battery change the responsibility becomes the factory/dealers. FWIW I have always owned Suuntos, user replaceable models, and have never had any issues when changing batteries. As I travel a lot I would not consider a computer that required a factory/dealer battery change. Good luck with your search.

TSandMs advice is good as always. If you are not confident in replacing your own battery, which is convenient, then buy a computer that is completely sealed as TSandM suggests. Or one that uses a rechargeable fitted battery. Or one that requires it being sent to factory/dealer, not as convenient and adds to cost but if it leaks after a battery change the responsibility becomes the factory/dealers. FWIW I have always owned Suuntos, user replaceable models, and have never had any issues when changing batteries. As I travel a lot I would not consider a computer that required a factory/dealer battery change. Good luck with your search.

I'll second Budda's Suunto recommendation. One reason why people don't usually have issues with Suuntos is because their battery kits come with a new "battery door" with a new o-ring already in place. It's a pretty dead-simple system. Uwatec used to use the "sealed system" the OP wondered about, but I believe they have a different user-replaceable system now, and I have no experience with that. Anyone?

Hi guys,
I have to assume that I just didn't do it right. Either I didn't tighten the screw-cap enough, didn't grease the o-ring. Whatever. Anyway, I can't afford my user errors.

Thanks

First, great call not blaming the computer. O rings and water pressure are a street without joy. Fully rigged, my camera/housing/strobe has 7 rings I have to service before each dive. Just one minor leak over the last 7 years (knock on wood).

I would buy 30 minutes of time from my LDS and learn the proper way to replace an O ring. Not a big deal to replace a tank/regulator O ring, but a bit more involved (clean, inspect, clean, fit, inspect, inspect, seal, inspect, etc..) when electronics are involved. No damage to any of the surfaces of the housing. A perfect O ring that is lightly greased. Not a single hair, dirt or grain of sand on any part. Yes, I use a magnifying glass and clean fingers on the O ring. Once that is done, you look for an even seal. Any variation, start over again. It takes me between 3 or 5 minutes per O ring

BTW, water under pressure beats grease every time.

The X1's aren't just sealed - they are potted (i.e. filled with a non-compressible gel.) There are are no air spaces to flood.

Back
Top Bottom