Computer suggestion for possible former Suunto user

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
My Vyper Air, stopped working, just out of warranty, and according to Suunto it isn't repairable. I'm not so sure how I feel about Suunto now. Although I've been using them for years, I've kind of lost confidence in them. Just about a year ago my Dad's Vyper stopped working. Not the same symptoms, but the same solution. Just out of warranty, and not serviceable. Only option was to buy a new computer.

I'm starting to beta test Dive Phone with an Android, which will very possibly become my new computer anyway, but I do at least need a real dive computer as a back up for testing. Any suggestions?

My Vyper Air, stopped working, just out of warranty, and according to Suunto it isn't repairable. I'm not so sure how I feel about Suunto now. Although I've been using them for years, I've kind of lost confidence in them. Just about a year ago my Dad's Vyper stopped working. Not the same symptoms, but the same solution. Just out of warranty, and not serviceable. Only option was to buy a new computer.

I'm starting to beta test Dive Phone with an Android, which will very possibly become my new computer anyway, but I do at least need a real dive computer as a back up for testing. Any suggestions?

The Galileo Sol/Luna is not a bad choice.

Hmm...now that I think about it. Since I'm going kind of minimalist these days, and really trying to streamline. If this Android dive computer thing doesn't work out, I think I may want to go with a wristwatch computer.

I need Nitrox, but could care less about air integration, gas switching, or dive log downloading.

I'm looking at maybe the Oceanic GEO 2.0. Small, good reviews overall, and really good price.

I've got 5, 4 are hoseless....Two Sunnto's [D9 & Vytec DS], two Oceanics [Atom 2.0 & VT3] and a Predator....The Predator I use for CCR......Of the other four I like the VT3 the best......Easy to use, easy to read, never had a problem w/it and DSS makes a bungee wrist mount for it....The two Sunnto's I rarely use any more....They're good quality but too finicky...They'll shut you out if you don't do everything just right.......

Yup! Suunto's annoying over conservatism is another reason I'm looking at other brands now that I'm forced to buy a new computer.

Shearwater gets my vote. Customer service (not that you will ever need it) is pretty damn impressive too.

Back
Top Bottom