Computer Selection for Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

45thParallel

Reaction score
Ok...here we go again.

I currently dive only on air, and I use a Genesis Resource for a divePC. It works great for what I use it for.

I plan to get into the tek diving this summer and am going to be mostly diving on air and Nitrox...so I decided to upgrade my PC to a nitrox capable. Problem is what to get. I do plan on going to Trimix eventually...but not for a cpl years anyways...get some exp on the Nitrox for a year or two first.

Question is ... can someone suggest a good divePC to get? If so...why that particular model? I'm currently leaning towards a Suunto Vytec w/ the transmitter (but I don't like the idea of a transmitter for some reason). Is that a good pc that would suit my purposes which is to dive nitrox and do multigas diving for deco stops?

-45th

45thParallel once bubbled...
Ok...here we go again.

I currently dive only on air, and I use a Genesis Resource for a divePC. It works great for what I use it for.

I plan to get into the tek diving this summer and am going to be mostly diving on air and Nitrox...so I decided to upgrade my PC to a nitrox capable. Problem is what to get. I do plan on going to Trimix eventually...but not for a cpl years anyways...get some exp on the Nitrox for a year or two first.

Question is ... can someone suggest a good divePC to get? If so...why that particular model? I'm currently leaning towards a Suunto Vytec w/ the transmitter (but I don't like the idea of a transmitter for some reason). Is that a good pc that would suit my purposes which is to dive nitrox and do multigas diving for deco stops?

-45th

A lot (if not most) of tech divers doing mixed gasses rely on decompression tables rather than computers for their diving. Tables are generated on PC software such as DecoPlanner, etc. and transferred to wrist slates, etc.

One of the main reasons for this is in the event of a computer malfunction/failure then you wouldnt be guessing at your deco stops and times.

Most of this type of diving is done using only depth gauge and bottom timer with gas switches and deco stops pre-planned.

In addition, by being comfortable with the planning and exectution of complicated dives like this, you will be much more comfortable in the event that something caused your dive plan to change while under water (loss of gas, etc.).

My advice: save the $$$ you would spend on a computer and get the training that teaches you how to do this type of diving without it.

Actually what MOST teks do is to dive a computer after planning with tables and cutting backup tables in case the 2 computers thay are wearing both break. Computers give too many advantages over tables on REAL dives (ie variable depth) to be ignored

Cant see what some folks have against wearing the algorythm on their wrist, they use the same model in the bedroom quite happily. As long as you plan the dive (and dive the plan) and make sure your arse is covered if something stops working.

Also if you are diving a rebreather, then tables are no where near as safe as a real time PPO2 monitered deco model

As for the Suunto Vytec, its a very good Nitrox and air machine but cannot do Trimix, Heliar or heliox.

Much better would be a VR3 which will do you very nicely for Nitrox and air now, has far more functionality and information than the Suunto (I own both). And in the future is upgradable to Mix and to rebreathers (o2 sensor cell can be added for real time deco). The software onboard is also updatable

I love my VR3 and the Suunto vytec and Stinger I have are now just backup bottom timers and data loggers. My Alladin Pro never gets wet any more (Not as easy to use as the Suunto's or VR3)

Other machines to check out are the HS and Abyss Explorers (similar but different models) and I believe Cochran have some models as do Uwatec

To sum up the Suunto Vytec is a great computer for you now and will do everything you need on Nitrox, BUT is not usable if you ever (and you will if you've any sense) stick Helium in the tank. Save the money you will be spending in 2 years time to replace the Suunto into getting a better machine now

Then in 2 years time you'll have some saved for the rebreather you'll be wanting :wink:

The VR3...is that a an air integrated pc? or is that a waste of time...the air integrated. Is it more worth the wild to just stick w/ the pc and a set of guages. The VR3 that I saw once didn't look very user friendly (i guess intimidating would be the right word).

Another question....don't you think that is a little overboard for just doing nitrox and air to depths of 150ish or so? And if not...wouldn't a Vytec be a good pc now, and a good backup later for when I eventually get into Mix and Helium....cause you said it yourself, most teks use a primary PC, and 1 or 2 backups plus the dive plan written out with them?

Air Integration is a nicety, its not essential. Personally I've never bothered. I use too many cylinders on a single dive for air integration to be of any use. Save your money here

As you are planning to be at 130ft/40m you will undoubtable be using deco stages etc. Whats the point of having a computer showing your back gas when you are breathing off of a stage. Normal SPG's are cheap and work fine

The VR3 has an Oxgen cell adapter. This is for rebreather divers and is fitted to the loop so the VR3 can see what O2 pressure you are breathing in real time and change the deco accordingly. This is a lot easier than having to swap mixes manually as you do on many CCR or SCR deco computers. It also adds safety by giving you a completely independant O2 monitor

The VR3 interface looks unbelievably complicated at first doesn't it?. But read the manual and press the buttons for 5 mins and it will click. Its actaully very consistant and easy to use. After all it only has 2 buttons!!!!! It has full simulation mode so you can practice using it at home

The Vytec now question is difficult. The Vytec cannot do MIX at all and so would be relegated to an expensive bottom timer and data logger then. (thats exactly the function mine firfills and is actually in a pocket when diving). I use a stinger watch as my backup bottom timer.

The VR3 is not overkill on 40m dives. in fact it struts its stuff really well below 30m, the inclusion of deep stops is great (Vytecs dont do that) and you will feel better after the dives. You can have up to 10 gas mixes preporgrammed (Vytec does 3) and can change them on the fly (Say if you steal a buddies stage). You can look up a lot more dive information on the fly for example

The Vytec tells you Time to surface and your ceiling. The VR3 tells you Time to surface and a list of ALL the stops and times. If you tell the VR3 what mixes you are carrying before hand it will remind you to swap on the way up. It also has a much better ascent rate guage. You can change the safety factors on the VR3 much more than the Vytec and it allows for true atmospheric pressure. The big bonus is you can play games at the stops if you are bored!!!!

Seriously the VR3 or any of the 2 Explorers are orders of magnitude more sophisticated than they Vytec. The VR3 is upgradable to meet your diving needs, very easy to change the battery on (and its a normal AA battery)

Feel free to ask any VR3 question to me and go download the VR3 manual and have a read on http://www.vr3.co.uk/

Good luck with a difficult decision, either way its $$$$ now or $$$$ later

I'm glad to see someone has good things to say about the VR3. I saw a couple of guys in Florida wearing them and they were very enthusiastic in their support, but since then I've heard reports of problems. Have you had any problems with yours, and have you also heard that there were serious problems. I seem to recall that it had something to do with the button on the VR3.

Dive Rite has a new computer that they began shipping last week, according to the Cave Diver Forum. It's the Nitek He, and will sell for $995, same as the Nitek3's old price, the 3 is now $895, according to the poster over there on CDF. I have friends with Nitek3's that love them and have never had any problems.

The Nitek He switches 10 gasses underwater and obviously does Helium.

Any comments?

When the new style VR3's (Silver) first come out there were some problems with the buttons sticking or ejecting. Some of the receievers of these units were very vocal

The design was fixed long ago and the current VR3's (gunmetal) dont seem to have a problem. Mine and all the folks I know with them have had no problems. Service from Delta P is good (although I hear OMS in the US is not so good)

Take a look at the Inspiration and VR3 forums on http://www.ccrinfo.com/forum/index.php for more views and all of the problems

Unfortunately Nitek computers are exceedingly rare in the UK so I have no experiance.

I love my VR3 and would buy another, they are extensively used by teh Inspiration MOB and very popular for deep diving. The deeps stops seem to work well, but those used to vpm will feel there is too large a gap between thedeep stops and the bend and mend stops. Many folks add there own in here, but I always have followed the VR3 and feel much better after long deep dives than I ever have, despite age and fat creeping up on me

I had a lot of button problems with my VR3, it had to go home to the UK twice. After the second repair, and the excellent advice I got on the forum Madmole mentioned, its now working very well. No more sticky buttons!

I personally use mine as a backup to tables, primarily because none of my buddies use a mix computer. It gives a good profile, very comparable to the better trimix software programs.

Tom

The last I checked on the VR3, price was around $2500 for the computer, software and link. Totally ridiculous. That was for the OC trimix version. As Delta-P will not sell direct to US customers, you have no choice but to go with OMS.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom