Computer sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why? you'd be surprised at how few OEM's there actually are for computers.

One of the easy ones is the old Seiko design, Dive Rite Nitek Duo, Cressi Archimede II, Apeks Quantum etc were all the exact same computer, just a different name on it. Now there are a few exclusive designs with companies moving towards their own production, Nitek Q, Petrel, Eon Steel etc. Be interesting to see the data, but not sure what you would actually get out of it

why? you'd be surprised at how few OEM's there actually are for computers.

One of the easy ones is the old Seiko design, Dive Rite Nitek Duo, Cressi Archimede II, Apeks Quantum etc were all the exact same computer, just a different name on it. Now there are a few exclusive designs with companies moving towards their own production, Nitek Q, Petrel, Eon Steel etc. Be interesting to see the data, but not sure what you would actually get out of it

I'd be interested, even if you would not be. I dived a Nitek Duo, I'm well aware of the OEM story. There is still AUP, Suunto, Uwatec, Shearwater, Liquivision, Mares, Cressi.......

no, i'd be interested too, just curious what you are looking to gain from it. Information is never a bad thing, even if it doesn't necessarily get you anything useful, i.e. go watch Sports Center on ESPN, but didn't know if you had any specific interest.

Add Dive Rite back to that since they are doing their own production now. I think Suunto is probably the market leader with AUP behind them at least in the US.

no, i'd be interested too, just curious what you are looking to gain from it. Information is never a bad thing, even if it doesn't necessarily get you anything useful, i.e. go watch Sports Center on ESPN, but didn't know if you had any specific interest.

Add Dive Rite back to that since they are doing their own production now. I think Suunto is probably the market leader with AUP behind them at least in the US.

I'm not only interested in the manufacturer chosen but the decompression algorithm(s) they represent. I'm not sure about the rank order of AUP and Suunto, I'd love to see data.

ahh hah, that's useful info right there, cross check that against DCS incidents etc. I would argue though that for most recreational computers purchases the brand and computer design itself was more of a factor than what algorithm it was running.

Never going to get it, there is no way that the manufacturers (especially the big ones) will let their competitors know how many they sell.

I would love to have this data as well. Having the information to determine how many accidents occurred while individuals were waring a certain brand / model of computer could be very damaging to some of the larger names in the industry. It has the potential be a straw-man argument though. If 100 individuals went diving with a Shearwater Petrel and 10 of them had an incident, the feeling I get is that those 10 folks did something a bit off. It would be very interesting to see a compilation of the information though. I feel that Clownfish is correct in that it just is not out there. If it does exist, it must not be dramatic enough for someone to leak.

I would love to have this data as well. Having the information to determine how many accidents occurred while individuals were waring a certain brand / model of computer could be very damaging to some of the larger names in the industry.

Even if you knew how many computers were sold... you'd have no idea how many dives were conducted with each one, much less what computer was worn during an accident.

That said - what would be "damaging" to the manufacturer if someone got themselves bent while diving "Brand X" computer? You say you "get the feeling" that if a diver got hurt it may have been something "a bit off" that they did... rather than a problem with the computer? Other than a catastrophic error in the employed algorithm - which would have been detected on first use - I can't imagine ANYTHING a computer could do to be the cause of an incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom