Computer: Right/Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For OC diving I put both computers on the RH wrist. Thus it's easier to monitor both computers and change gasses on both as they're in the same place. Have never dumped from the elephant's trunk aside from a "unconscious diver" drill ascent; dump all my gas and control the ascent on their wing (if it all goes horribly wrong, they'll end up on the surface and I can sort my own buoyancy out). I always dump the wing from the LH hip, even on the surface when descending.

For CCR I have my controller on the RH wrist and the Nerd backup under my RH eye. That way I can easily compare computers at a glance (far more important on CCR than OC).

Would consider a second backup Perdix for very deep dives, purely as a backup on bailout as the Nerd's hard to monitor when off the loop. Haven't put enormous thought into this, but would consider setting it to aggressive gradient factors for the OMG bailout ascents. Would probably put this on the LH wrist so it's out of the way and can't be confused.

Nobody gets more intelligent when underwater; I'll freely admit to loosing tens of IQ points!

Both wrists now.

The shop owner/instructor was explaining to me that the computer on the left wrist/forearm puts it above the head while ascending and venting via the corrugated hose which helps contribute to keeping the airway open. He stated that with the computer on the right wrist the tendency is to look down which could lead to blocking the airway which can lead to pulmonary injury.

When I asked him where he learned/read that having the computer on the right arm increase risk of pulmonary injury, he pointed to one of his former students coming out of the water wearing a suit with a velcro tab on the left wrist to help hold a computer in place and tried to use that to further rationalize his statement.

Joining this party late I know but WTF, seriously, WTF did I just read?

My computer is at chest level on my ascent as I watch it to make sure I am not ascending too fast..

I'd like to know what that shop owner was smoking.

For OC diving I put both computers on the RH wrist. Thus it's easier to monitor both computers and change gasses on both as they're in the same place. Have never dumped from the elephant's trunk aside from a "unconscious diver" drill ascent; dump all my gas and control the ascent on their wing (if it all goes horribly wrong, they'll end up on the surface and I can sort my own buoyancy out). I always dump the wing from the LH hip, even on the surface when descending.

For CCR I have my controller on the RH wrist and the Nerd backup under my RH eye. That way I can easily compare computers at a glance (far more important on CCR than OC).

Would consider a second backup Perdix for very deep dives, purely as a backup on bailout as the Nerd's hard to monitor when off the loop. Haven't put enormous thought into this, but would consider setting it to aggressive gradient factors for the OMG bailout ascents. Would probably put this on the LH wrist so it's out of the way and can't be confused.

Nobody gets more intelligent when underwater; I'll freely admit to loosing tens of IQ points!

For CCR I can't do NERD and Petrel (controller) on the same side. I generally check the Petrel out of the corner of my eye, right where the NERD is parked. This means I need to make extra effort to see the controller. One eye for each.

Also came in handy when I was doing some mask drills and got something in an eye that irritated it. Or just get a bad day and fog one lens. I can keep track of vital info with either eye easily.

We have always done this. Typically we have our reg on a necklace but sometimes when we just have it attached to the BC we have never had an issue with any interference. When I have a wrist computer then I wear that on my right wrist. If I am not wearing a wrist computer then the console goes on the right side. Usually even with the redundancy wrist computer the console will go on the right side. With redundancy some of the divers would put the console back over to the left side. We saw divers trying to maintain their buoyancy and struggling while trying to read their console computers. As an assistant instructor and boat captain we would have them try it to the right and they loved it! YMMV
Also when you put the snorkel keeper through your thumb you still have complete use of your hand instead of holding on to the console...makes a huge difference

Do you by chance have a modern BCD? Mine has slots for the console\puck assembly and the regulator. Even has pictures. The left slot is for the console and the right is for the backup regulator. It really doesn’t matter but my octo is set up for the the console to be on the left and both regulators on the right. Do you have to switch hose positions when your console is reversed?

Glenn

Do you by chance have a modern BCD? Mine has slots for the console\puck assembly and the regulator. Even has pictures. The left slot is for the console and the right is for the backup regulator. It really doesn’t matter but my octo is set up for the the console to be on the left and both regulators on the right. Do you have to switch hose positions when your console is reversed?

Glenn
I dive with a Zeagle and a OMS...both are new BC's...I just put the high pressure hose onto the HP port on the right side. I wear a necklace octo and the console goes on the lower right side D ring...

For CCR I can't do NERD and Petrel (controller) on the same side. I generally check the Petrel out of the corner of my eye, right where the NERD is parked. This means I need to make extra effort to see the controller. One eye for each.

Also came in handy when I was doing some mask drills and got something in an eye that irritated it. Or just get a bad day and fog one lens. I can keep track of vital info with either eye easily.
I have the Nerd adjusted so it’s in the lower left of my view leaving the top and right pretty clear. I can then look centre left at the Nerd and centre right at the Petrel on my wrist. I’ve really liked the Nerd + Petrel especially as the Revo has five O2 sensors, three on the Petrel and two on the Nerd. Add in the Air Integration on the Nerd, plus its built in compass and it’s quite the star of the show.

One AI on the right and one AI on the left, same transmitter. My butt dump is on the right, that's all I ever use. I generally use the the AI on my left wrist for a quick check. I've been using that computer for 10 1/2 years. The one on my right wrist, for less than 2 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom