Computer Question- Does this seem normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
This is a deco-type question regarding the output of a dive computer.

First dive: 86 ft for 45 TDT, left the bottom with 16mins NDL left, very slow ascent to 18ft for a 3min SS. EAN32

1:06 SI

Entered the water for dive 2 with 3 segments on the TLBG (Oceanic Veo 100)

At 11ft (1min dive time), TLBG jumps to 7 segments, and at 13 mins of Dive time (80 ft), the TLBG jumped to 8 segments, and kicked me into a 10ft deco ceiling (no other deco stops indicated). Also EAN32

So the question is:

Can I load that much Nitrogen in 1 minute passing through 11 FSW?

The 11 ft bump sounds fishy. Call toll-free: (800) 435-3483 tomorrow. I bet they give you a RA# and ask you to send it in for replacement. Less than 2 years old is a free replacement with new battery. :cool: Over 2 years old is going to cost you around $100 replacement - still cool.

This is a deco-type question regarding the output of a dive computer.

First dive: 86 ft for 45 TDT, left the bottom with 16mins NDL left, very slow ascent to 18ft for a 3min SS. EAN32

1:06 SI

Entered the water for dive 2 with 3 segments on the TLBG (Oceanic Veo 100)

At 11ft (1min dive time), TLBG jumps to 7 segments, and at 13 mins of Dive time (80 ft), the TLBG jumped to 8 segments, and kicked me into a 10ft deco ceiling (no other deco stops indicated). Also EAN32

So the question is:

Can I load that much Nitrogen in 1 minute passing through 11 FSW?

I don't know anything about the Oceanic Veo but it's possible there's nothing wrong with your computer. The problem could be simply that the algorithm is really conservative on repets and slammed you. Did you notice what your no stop times at various depths were just before you started dive 2?

Your question was "can I load that much nitrogen in 1 minute..." The answer is no, but your computer may not know that. Dive computers don't know anything. They measure stuff and then do what they're told. That's the problem with computers. You have to think for them. Ever hear of the case of the nitrox computer that computed repet schedules assuming the diver breathed nitrox during the SI? The diver turned the thinking over to the computer, got bent and sued.

If Oceanic wants a $100 for another computer, you might say "no thanks" and invest the same amount in a bottom timer. You have to think for them, too, but at least they're honest about it.

The Oceanic/Aires computer line is no more conservative than the Padi RDP - considered "liberal" compared to the "conservative" brands that simply penalize you with less NDL. I've dived them for 7 years now, got a VEO and a Versa Pro I wear on every dive.

I agree, do your own thinking: know your computer well, study the manual, run SIM dives if your computer is qualified. No way the Oceanic computer can increase Nitrogen load that much at 11 ft. Should not increase at all; if anything, decrease.

If you want a Bottom Timer, I think you can change to that mode on your computer, altho I don't know that model well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom