computer intragrated air do you need a another air gauge as back up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tampascott once bubbled...
but I'd like to be able to constantly know how fast I am ascending on my way to the surface.
Please excuse my late intrusion into this thread... but I would like to offer a tip on how to effectively monitor your ascent without a depth gauge...

No... No... that is not fair... I came to this thread late...
I'll just go start my own thread... in general scuba discussions.

All,

I've used a Uwatec Air Z for some time now and only have a few issues with it that are related to teaching...

1/ Demonstrating air depleation is a real PITA as the update on the Uwatec isn't frequent enough to demonstrate 0 tank pressure before needing another breath - I've sucked the thing dry and sat there waiting for it to show zero before giving the OOA signal, lets just say I turned blue before the Uwatec updated.

2/ Pointing to your wrist or even giving a pre-taught signal for asking students what their pressure gauge is showing always results in confusion!

As a result of the above I always teach pool sessions with an SPG (admittedly I sometimes forget to switch for Open Water).

Just my experiences - Dave.

I say lose the analog SPG.

If the computer ceases to function, you're calling the dive, air integrated or not. If the analog SPG ceases to function (and you have no air integrated computer), you're calling the dive.

There should be no issue if the only indication of tank pressure you have is the computer. You should always know that you have at least enough to get you and your buddy to the surface, so if it fails, head for the surface.

You have a secondary timing device, right? You planned the dive, right? So there should be no problem. If you're doing more dives that day, switch back to the analog SPG and pull out your analog depth guage, you're good to go again.

So leave the analog SPG on the surface, it's just one more o-ring that can blow at 90 feet.

My battery went out in the middle of a dive with out any low battery warning. With know back up I had know idea how much gas I had left. :boom:

FWIW I was diving on rental equipment over the weekend, including an analog SPG, on e the first day, I was stunned by the over fill I got at the dive store.
When I got a similar overfill on the second day I checked the gauge against my buddies, it was reading over 400psi high, I'm just glad I wasn't pushing my air.

I think both Analog and digital devices have there fail points there are less moving parts in a digital device but they are more prone to failure through water exposure etc.

Personally I intend to use an air integrated computer (Cobra) and carry a non air integrated (Viper) as a backup so I only loose the SPG in the case of failure.

I have yet to get certified but found this discussion rather interesting. I take my OW test next weekend and then going to start buying the rest of my equipment. The family and I already have our BC’s, it hurts the bank account when you have four to buy for.

Electronics versus Mechanical I think is a not much of an issue. I work on electronic equipment which also has mechanics involved too. It is almost always the mechanical side that goes first. I’m not saying that AI won’t fail but I trust electronics more than Mechanics. Mainly comes down to personal feeling about electronics version mechanical.

I would never wait for a low battery warning to replace a battery.

i have always dove, and will continue to do so, an analog SPG and never even considered a backup. In 600 dives i have NEVER had an SPG fail. Personally i think a mechanical SPG is less likely to fail than a computer. No batteries to go dead.
no air integrated or hoseless stuff for me, thanks :D

Back
Top Bottom