computer intragrated air do you need a another air gauge as back up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Uwatec AirX Nitrox
Intergrated computer no messy hoses.
Also a Air2 on my inflator, so I only have two hoses form my first stage one to my second stage and the other to the Air2/Inflator.

and no I dont use a analouge SPG, never seen the point, if my computer fails I just surface, and alwasy carry a pony below 100Ft for redundency anyway and that has a spg on it

Cheers
Chris

divernva once bubbled...
I do like having AI, but I also think it adds an extra level of complexity and therefore a failure point. So I clip a SPG (which can also malfunction, but less likely than electronics) to my waist

I'm curious. Is there any actual data other than anecdotal showing that electronics are more prone to failure than mechanical devices, or is it just accepted dogma?

You're taught to turn the guage away from you when turning your air on. Is it becasue mechanical SPG's have a known failure rate and tend to blow out?

I dive a Cobra air integrated computer and have seen no factual data, or have no personally experience, that indicates the pressure reading on the Cobra is less accurate or reliable than an analog SPG. But I totally trust no dive equipment. I always plan for an alternate air source, be it my buddy, or below 50 feet my buddy and a pony bottle.

Adding a second SPG would allow you to dive more conservatively assuming that you always used the lower of the two pressure readings. IMO it would be a waste of money and add unnecessary complication to your equipment configuration. Additionally to make the backup worthwhile you need to check both and decide which reading is lower each time, increasing you task loading.

If you’re concern about the reliability of a quick release the simple solution is to not use one rather than adding more equipment.

Mike

:blfish:
I use a Suunto Cobra, air/nitrox integrated computer.
I also have a USD low profile, depth/pressure console,
and I wear a watch (Timex Ironman).

I have always worn the redundant gauges since I went to the integrated computer.
My reg (MR22 Abyss) has two HP ports.
I was concerned about loosing depth/pressure/time info in the event of a computer failure.

That being said, it is the analog SPG that failed on me not my computer. The way it failed pissed me off. Damn thing stuck at 1200 psi. during the dive. It was ok when I started the dive,
but didn't agree at the surface. When I disconnected from the tank, it still read 1200. I tapped the glass, and it dropped to zero. I have no recolection of bumping or dropping it.
I tossed the gauge (kept the HP hose though).

Mike D

Take this with a grain of salt, but to answer the question:
"Do you need a another air gauge as back up?"

You don't NEED one...having one is always an option and depending on your style of diving maybe a good idea. But you don't really need one because with air integrated you will (or should be) constantly looking at your computer so you should always know if it's working or not. If it fails, well... surface just like you would if your analog spg failed. There is only one thing in life that is guaranteed, but we won't talk about that.

Anyway, happy (and safe) diving to you.
Chris

FLL Diver once bubbled...

I'm curious. Is there any actual data other than anecdotal showing that electronics are more prone to failure than mechanical devices, or is it just accepted dogma?

You're taught to turn the guage away from you when turning your air on. Is it becasue mechanical SPG's have a known failure rate and tend to blow out?

That is a hard question, what mechanical device are you going to compare to what electronic device? I guess to make it fair one would have to use a mechanical device and an electronic one that have the same number of components, also the harshness (<--spelling?) of the environment should be taken into account.
I like simplicity when i go diving, the simpler my BC and all my other stuff the less things can break on me.

You dont look at your SPG when you turn on your tank because of the remote possibility that somethings blows.

It is always good to somewhat anticipate the unlikely :)

IMO, electronics are prone to be less reliable simply because of the additional level of complexity. On a digital gauge, you've got multiple electronic components to consider. The obvious are the sensor, computer and display. The sensor in itself probably has multiple failure points.

With an analog gauge, it's all mechanical. Yes the needle can get stuck, and the pin could possibly fall off or something. But for the most part, the pressure causes a Bourdon tube to contract or expand which causes translation to the pin.

If you carry both AI computer and SPG, you check the primary and go to the backup if things seem fishy. Generally, people check both at least once or twice during a dive for comparison, but not constantly and taking the lower.

I treat the SPG as primary when using AI. That way I'm used to it when I don't use AI. To me, AI is a nice statistical tool for the logbook.

Funny how we always say " electronics are unreliable, always use a spg as a backup"
In actual fact the AI electronic gauge is most likely more reliable than a standard bourdon tube or similar gauge.
Moving parts are what usually break down. There are many moving parts and mechanical parts in my VIP gauge but none in my EDI Air Int gauge.
So really, who is doing the backup???

(of course non of this includes the electronics vs water argument)

MNScuba: That was the point of my post. But what is your opinion on redunant depth gauge? Yes, I'd know I have enough air to get to the surface, but I'd like to be able to constantly know how fast I am ascending on my way to the surface.

tampascott once bubbled...
MNScuba: That was the point of my post. But what is your opinion on redunant depth gauge? Yes, I'd know I have enough air to get to the surface, but I'd like to be able to constantly know how fast I am ascending on my way to the surface.

My buddy is my backup :wink:

Back
Top Bottom