computer intragrated air do you need a another air gauge as back up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
if you are using a air intracated computer do you use another air pressure gauge as back up or do you trust your computer

medic13 once bubbled...
if you are using a air intracated computer do you use another air pressure gauge as back up or do you trust your computer

Personally I would prefer to have an SPG as backup, but I didn't end up going with air integrated anyway. However there are many strong points regarding not adding extra points of failure.

Read this thread and see if you still have questions to ask to help you make up your mind...

g'luck!

Would you get a digital backup for your analog SPG? Things can go wrong with both... not sure I'd dive with both. If the digital failed I would surface and change to the analog.

Well wasnt the idea of an air integrated computer that you can get rid of a hose :confused: Using an SPG as a backup then defeats the purpose of having an airintegrated computer in the first place. Personally i dont use airintegrated computers because if they fail i loose both my computer and my pressure gauge, i think an analog gauge is much much simpler in design and far more reliable.

I use a Cobra, which is air integrated. It's not so much losing my pressure read out that would concern me, as I check my computer at depth regularly enough to have a fair idea in my mind what kind of air I have, and I am sure I'd have enough to get to surface, it more the loss of the depth gauge that would bother me. I may wind up buying a watch with depth.

well I agree with all but my next concern is the possiblity of the quick disconect coming loose as I dive a search and rescue and some times ponds looking for well you know anyway sometimes lots of branchs ect do any of you know of heard of any instances of same .

medic13 once bubbled...
well I agree with all but my next concern is the possiblity of the quick disconect coming loose as I dive a search and rescue and some times ponds looking for well you know anyway sometimes lots of branchs ect do any of you know of heard of any instances of same .

Well thats why i have a simple analog SPG clipped on my hip and a computer on my right wrist for non-decompression dives, so no quick disconnects to disconnect when i dont want them to not to mention eliminating another unneccessary failure point :D

This is getting away from medics original question..and maybe I misinterpreted some of the discussion……..But….

Has anyone ever had no less heard of an instance where a quick disconnect came apart while under pressure?????
At the very minimum at the end of your dive you will/should have a couple hundred psi exerting a force on that gauge locking it in place…..and if you don’t have any air left to hold the gauge in place you’ve got far bigger problems than losing that gauge.

thats what i thought too but a couple of other guys i dive with said they wear afraid of looseing it , but i was thinking the same under pressure it would be hard to I would think thanks

There are other benefits to air integration other than losing the SPG hose. Which is rarely the case unless you have a transmitter.

I do like having AI, but I also think it adds an extra level of complexity and therefore a failure point. I own a Cobra, and have recently invested in a Vytec. So I clip a SPG (which can also malfunction, but less likely than electronics) to my waist D-ring and will be putting the computer in AI when diving recreationally. Haven't used the transmitter yet, but expect to try soon.

As for quick disconnects. I liked the one on my Cobra, but yet another failure point. Pretty tough to get undone, but when the boat is rocking and Murphy's around, you never know what could fall off the boat. Especially when switching tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom