Computer help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hahah i know i know,
i actually led a dive yesterday though, my guide/slash guy who done my check dive last week, said i had excellent buoyancy control, a great buddy awareness/system, good air consumption, confidence in the water (haha ye right) and then he said i was a serious diver and that if i wanted i could go down with a buddy group unguided, he would let me because he thought i had the skills, most divers in eygpt have to be guided so people dont get hurt and damage the tourisim indusrty, i would imagine thats why anyway
but thats when the fun started haha the buddy "team" i ended up were crazy

your right though i will of course walk before i can run, but i think that with time and a ton of dives i can be quite a good diver, it just means not being afraid of the cold or perhaps buying a dry suit when i get back to ireland

I'm getting a bit confused now with your stories. The dive with the two Russians that you mention here and in your other thread were done with the operator you were not happy with - bad equipment and strange conduct, the way you describe it in the other thread. Your previous dives were with the other operator, the one that you thought was very professional, except for that they didn't tell you that you were in fact diving Nitrox. Right?

So who exactly told you that he had such confidence in your diving skills that he would be happy to violate Egyptian laws (it's actually like that, not that most divers have to be guided because of inferior skills...) and let you dive without a guide? If it was your professional instructor from last week - what was he doing there now at this crappy outfitter and why was he in a position to make decisions?
If it was the other one, the one whose equipment you mistrusted (and still dived with), how did you trust him to judge whether you and an (unfamiliar) buddy team should be diving alone?

I really don't mean any offense, but I find your posts more and more difficult to follow, partly because of your style of writing, partly because they are each spread out over several threads and partly because some things simply don't seem to add up.

With Nitrox, as well as understanding your MOD and oxygen exposure, you need to analyse your tanks. Even if the gas is banked, there can be variations. Also, if they do other fills for other people (like the couple diving 32%), there is a chance a tank could get mixed up. The consequences can be serious, so you should really know what you're diving. Is there any kind of label or sticker on the tank to show that it was analysed after being filled? It should have a date, and an O2 %. You should really verify it for yourself, or at least watch it being verified.

It's great that you are asking so many questions, and thinking about what's happening around you. Even experienced, responsible divers can make mistakes, or make plans you wouldn't be happy with, so it's always up to you to look out for your own safety and comfort (and your buddy's).

I'm getting a bit confused now with your stories. The dive with the two Russians that you mention here and in your other thread were done with the operator you were not happy with - bad equipment and strange conduct, the way you describe it in the other thread. Your previous dives were with the other operator, the one that you thought was very professional, except for that they didn't tell you that you were in fact diving Nitrox. Right?

So who exactly told you that he had such confidence in your diving skills that he would be happy to violate Egyptian laws (it's actually like that, not that most divers have to be guided because of inferior skills...) and let you dive without a guide? If it was your professional instructor from last week - what was he doing there now at this crappy outfitter and why was he in a position to make decisions?
If it was the other one, the one whose equipment you mistrusted (and still dived with), how did you trust him to judge whether you and an (unfamiliar) buddy team should be diving alone?

I really don't mean any offense, but I find your posts more and more difficult to follow, partly because of your style of writing, partly because they are each spread out over several threads and partly because some things simply don't seem to add up.

stepho2 probably isint even around anymore but i have to clear that up

these dives were on different days with different russians, the unprofessional dive op dive was done on a different day entirly in a diff area, that is also a totally different post as well, i dont mix stuff in posts and if i seem to do that i am sorry its just i was on a holiday in a close knit area with a lot of crazy russians in it so that threads might have similar things going in them, they are how ever completly different threads and the only reason the 2 threads got confused is because u and the other guy in the unprofessional dive op thread got them mixed up, no one else that posted did,

this was first posted in october or something but i still stand by what i said in the other thread about the dive op been obviously lacking in safety standards

SUBEX told me on the morning of the check dive that i was diving a mild nitrox mixture and i wouldnt imagine they would be allowed to just put people in the water with there tanks if they werent holding up to some sort of standards and practices of safety, SUBEX could have explained more to me i guess but they are a ssi operation as far as im aware and i am a padi diver i was thought very little about nitrox in open water, perhaps ssi have a better way of doing it and there open water divers have at least a basic understanding of nitrox, i think it would be very good for new divers to know about it anyway considering how usefull it is and seems to be, i would not dive with straight air again,and when i travel to the red sea in 2 weeks i will dive with air 28 and possibly do a nitrox course

as for the other post about the russian buddies that hadnt a clue and the fact that my instructor/guide allowed me to do the dive unguided ,who am i to say he was wrong, he took the risk by breaking the law (i had no idea he was breaking the law by the way and probably would have looked at it more seriously had i know that) but infact i guess i took also took the risj going un guided because i honestly didnt realise how difficult it can get when ur under water and things start to fall apart, at least the things that fell apart were not life treatening, it just turned out the guy who was leading was not able to navigate underwater and probably hadnt even listened to the breifing, i know anything can go wrong underwater but this dive was a dive with viz for 30 m or so with no real current except at the end but in a place we were told it was gonna be, i learned from that dive that im not ready to be going unguided, i survived and i enjoyed it too

just had to clear it up so if i decide to look at this post again in a few months i can be happy with what i read

ps.. u say style of writing, what am i doing wrong i get this all the time,, should have listened in my english class perhaps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom