Computer back up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soakedlontra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I looked at previous threads but I was not able to find what I was looking for so here I am .

I have a small watch as a back up, but I find it hard to read it. I also would like to get rid of my console with compass, pressure and depth gauge to replace it with a simple pressure gauge, a wrist compass and a wrist timer/depth gauge to use instead of the watch.

Can I find a timer/depth gauge that is cheaper than a computer or would I be better off buying a second computer?

Any suggestions of brands in particular that I could investigate that are reliable and not too expensive?

Thank you

Cheers

Sherwood DDG

DDG stands for digital depth gauge. It's also a bottom timer. I got an extra one sitting on the shelf I've been looking to throw up on Ebay. I use two computers now.

It needs a couple of batteries though.

Maybe we can work something out.

Sherwood DDG

DDG stands for digital depth gauge. It's also a bottom timer. I got an extra one sitting on the shelf I've been looking to throw up on Ebay. I use two computers now.

It needs a couple of batteries though.

Maybe we can work something out.

Thank you!

I'll be in touch!

Hi

As far as suggestions go I like the Suunto range of dive computers but they are not cheap.

Sorry I dont really understand the rest of your post, but i would suggest air integrated computer as your primary.

Most people who are using plain depth gauges are using the Uwatec gauge. However, it is not inexpensive, and the battery is not replaceable. There are quite a few computers that can be purchased used for equal to or less than the cost of a Uwatec gauge, and which have user-replaceable batteries and sometimes other bells and whistles which are nice.

Hi

As far as suggestions go I like the Suunto range of dive computers but they are not cheap.

Mi dive computer is a Suunto Gekko and I am happy with it even if what I really want is a...:confused:I guess that's why I am not very good at writing these kind of posts...I never remember the name of gadgets unless I use them!:shakehead: anyway it is a computer that costs a lot and it is very bright at night.

I dont really understand the rest of your post,

I don't blame you, I have never considered myself a skilled technical writer!

i would suggest air integrated computer as your primary.

Right now I am not that interested in air integrated computers, I don't know exactly why...it is just a gut feeling, I guess.

Thanks anyway and good night!:coffee:

Most people who are using plain depth gauges are using the Uwatec gauge. However, it is not inexpensive, and the battery is not replaceable. There are quite a few computers that can be purchased used for equal to or less than the cost of a Uwatec gauge, and which have user-replaceable batteries and sometimes other bells and whistles which are nice.

That is exactly what Sam has told me.

That is exactly what Sam has told me.

As others have mentioned...it's cheaper to just get an inexpensive computer and make sure it has gauge mode...so at that point you have a digital bottomtime/depth gauge that also logs your dives and can be used as a computer if you should find that you need one. Just make sure that you can read it (big fonts) and replace the batteries yourself.

I use a Suunto D3 as my back up. Unfortunately, they do not make them anymore and the D4 is a full on computer. Which is okay but I like small watch like attributes of D3 and it was cheaper. You can still find used D3s here and there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom