Compressor theory--is there an ME in the house?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetCell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As an EE, my knowledge of air pressure and it's compression aspects are weak. My interest is in a very inexpensive (<$1K) scuba air compressor that would be safe. From what I can gather, the expense of the compressor is in the multi-stage head and to some extent the motor. All of the compressors that I have seen (Bauer Junior, Mako, etc.) tout how FAST they can fill a tank. Forget pressure for a moment and think CFM. The faster a compressor fills a tank, the hotter it and the system gets, the stronger the motor needs to be, etc. But what if you didn't care how fast the tank filled. Let's say you hook everything up and go to bed. What if the compressor chugged away for a couple of hours? Would that gain you anything in terms of a cheaper system?

From the physics, the compressor needs to push a volume of air past a backup valve. At some point that pressure becomes 3000 PSI. If that volume were small, say a few ounces, would that gain you anything in compressor head cost?

First I know of no breathing air compressors with that low a cfm being made, probably because no one would want them. There are some small military compressors but any you could get would more than likely be used and then it would have to be converted to breathing air use with the appropriate filters and also re powered to run with either a gas engine or standard electric motor. High pressure breathing air compressors of any size are expensive. Less than 1K may be possible if you have the skills to put together a system of used components, compressor, motor filter, dryer, etc.

If you are looking for cheap, DIY, go the military surplus route. These guys are into rehabbing to save money and gain experience:

Compressor_Team : Compressor

If you are thinking about building from scratch, like starting a compressor fab, that is not a good idea. Building small, efficient compressors requires a large capital investment and substantial labor. Scaling down the size and weight of a HP air compressor has already been done for special military aps, primarily aircraft. To do so, unique designs, machining and exotic materials are required, and government contracts. These are the machines which form the basis for DIY compressors.

Somewhere, in industry, there may exist some surplus, very low capacity, high pressure compressors used for oxygen transfer, primarily for medical purposes. Also, there are the very small, military compressors built by the Cornelius company. Some of these are rated 0.5 cfm @ 1500 psi but are used to compress air at somewhat higher press.

The surplus compressor market is drying up. I heard about one outfit that has sold about 20, 2.0 cfm Walter Kidde units to interests in Australia. However, it is still cost effective to buy the "flame thrower" compressors on govliquidation.com for pennies on the dollar. Often, these are brand new, surplus Stewart Warner units which have about the same output as the Junior mentioned in your post. Many other opportunities arise and differing combinations assembled on a fairly continuous basis by the DIY people.

The compressors are multi stage because it's simply not efficient to try and boost too much pressure in a single stage due to mechanical (material strength and vibration) issues and due to heating of the gas. This is why all high pressure compressors use 3 or 4 stages to get to 4500 or 5000 psi with cooling coils in between (to allow the gas to cool before being boosted again).

Finding a compressor for 1K or less is possible if your handy and can work with used parts. It's not just the pump you need, but a suitable motor, and filter components as well. There various used compressors on e-bay all the time, but be wary of the ones selling a compressor with little or no feedback ratings...

Mat.

I have one of the little military surplus compressors and I am very close to being able to fill my tanks with it.
When I bought it, I got it with two filter housings, some fittings, and a fill whip. I could have just slapped/taped/wired everything together and started pumping "E" grade air right away.

After seeing the quality and condition of the compressor and the little two cylinder engine, I elected to take the time to do the job right. I picked up a high pressure coalescer (air/water separator), a used hydraulic accumulator, a 37 degree flaring tool, some seamless 1/4 inch stainless tubing, many more fittings, a nice oil filled gauge, and some other odds and ends.

The old military frame was pretty scabby. I am about to build a new frame and when it is finished, I will put everything together and have a very nice compressor that should last for many years to come. I will also be converting that little engine (made by Colt industries) to run on propane.

It hasn't exactly been cheap, there has been a lot of time involved in sourcing parts, and there is yet some labor involved. However, in the end, I will have about $2,000 in a compressor that is lighter than anything comparable on the market and vastly better made.

I could have done it on the cheap and made it work. Instead, I decided to put something together that I would be proud of and that would deliver better than grade "E" air.

I absolutely love projects and this one has been great fun so far. If you aren't in to projects, join the compressor group (link in a post above mine) and contact James Shelden. He has a few of these little units for sale and Jim has set them up right. They certainly won't be less than $1,000 but you will get a quality unit for substantially less than you would have to pay for a new Bauer, Alkin, Max Air, or similar.

By the way, I am a manufacturing engineer and if you tried to build a high pressure compressor from scratch, you could buy a truckload of Bauers or Alkins for what it would cost. This is one of those places where scaling down is going to cost cubic dollars. Compressors aren't sold by the pound.

Bill.

Compressor life is measured in run time. A compressor of small physical size and capacity chugging away to fill a given volume and pressure will naturally incur more hours and potentially more wear than a large compressor doing the same job. Stepping up the output and reducing potential wear is possible but involves substantial costs usually associated with military equipment.

Hypothetically, a large compressor could be used to jam tanks at a slow rate but there are practical problems with things like lubrication at low rpm's. Also, the initial cost would not be substantially less than any other large compressor.

It seems a lot of your concern is about a "HOT" tank fill, the simple reality of the situation is you will not get a true HOT fill from any small portable compressor, these units are rated at 3-5 CFM, which means 15-25 minutes to fill a typical 80 CF tank. Sure the air is a bit warm since it has had no time cool in a storage bank, but hot inlet air is not the main source of heating we tend to worry about, instead the worry is caused by the good old gas pressure laws. Now when you should worry is when you are dealing with a BIG fill operation, with BIG compressors, and BIG storage banks, particularly when they are rushed, as it is possible in those situations to fill a tank in a couple of minutes, with the valve opening being the only thing slowing down airflow, making it too hot to touch, even in a water bath. IF you still worry about about heating caused by a small portable compressor, the cheapest soluation is to add another fill whip and fill 2 tanks at a time, halving the effective fill rate.

Ike

It seems a lot of your concern is about a "HOT" tank fill, the simple reality of the situation is you will not get a true HOT fill from any small portable compressor, these units are rated at 3-5 CFM, which means 15-25 minutes to fill a typical 80 CF tank. Sure the air is a bit warm since it has had no time cool in a storage bank, but hot inlet air is not the main source of heating we tend to worry about, instead the worry is caused by the good old gas pressure laws. Now when you should worry is when you are dealing with a BIG fill operation, with BIG compressors, and BIG storage banks, particularly when they are rushed, as it is possible in those situations to fill a tank in a couple of minutes, with the valve opening being the only thing slowing down airflow, making it too hot to touch, even in a water bath. IF you still worry about about heating caused by a small portable compressor, the cheapest soluation is to add another fill whip and fill 2 tanks at a time, halving the effective fill rate.

Ike

My concern is not about a hot tank--but that is a concern with many of the commercial scuba cylinder compressor companies. Let me clarify it for you:

In my (dream) world you hook this relatively small unit up to your 3000 PSI, 80 CF scuba tank, in your garage, and plug it in before you go to bed. It chugs away. How long? I don't know, that's why I am looking for an ME, they know these kinds of things. When you wake up in the morning, your tank is full of breathable air and you can head out to the water.

You bought this system because you did not want to spend over $1K (otherwise you might as well head down to the shop for fills) and you didn't care that it took hours instead of minutes to fill your tank--you are sleeping. The latter is why heating is not a problem. Compression spread over hours rather than minutes means less accumulated heat or easier dissipation of what does accumulate.

Even a non-engineer will see that the usefulness (and marketability!) of such as system will depend on three more things. 1) the amount of electric power (forget gas, NG, propane, etc.) needed to fill a tank, 2) the MTBF for the moving components, since the thing runs for a while and 3) the consumables--filters, gaskets, etc.

With new technology; i.e., ceramics, metals, etc. as well as more efficient motors, lubricants, filters, etc. I say such a device should be doable.

There are new materials and lubricants, etc. However, the few that are practical are, or have been, exploited in current systems. New technologies such as composites and ceramics exist but applications in high pressure compressors are few and far between because they either have the wrong expansion characteristic, wrong wear patterns, heat sensitivity, cost, heat dissipation, etc. Compressors that are 50 years old, obtained from the military are still in use today. Let's take a look at what they were made of; Materials used in these machines include magnesium blocks, aluminum bronze connecting rods, heat treated stainless steel crankshafts, stainless valves and springs, heat treated inconel pistons, various aluminum and copper parts, brass heads, aluminum heads, heat treated steel barrels, teflon and butyl seals, copper seals, stainless bolts, brass gears, and so forth. All that is in one compressor block which weighs 15 pounds and has a real output of 4.2 cfm at pressures well above 3000 psi. I've seen these operated at 8000 psi for test purposes.

There is no free lunch. The energy required to fill a SCUBA tank is fixed by the law of physics. All compressors, regardless of size, are about 90% efficient and cost of ownership would not be appreciably affected by scaling down. A smaller compressor which is also smaller in output capacity could employ less material by weight and lower cost materials but the main cost of the compressor is tooling, labor, marketing, liability and other non tangibles. Some costs can be made up on volume and cheaper materials which can survive slower rotational speeds only. However, mass production could never be there because nobody would want the mini compressor. Most of this cost of production has already been resolved for the commercial market. It was accomplished by economies inherent in the production process, not alternative materials except where cheaper, less durable materials can be included. In other words, production tolerances, production processes and unit volume are factored into a cheaper machine. That is why one can buy a Coltri or Alkin for 3 grand as opposed to 20 thousand(in today's money) for the small military compressor described above. The commercial units weigh a lot more and cost a lot less.

There is no technology which can scale down these machines without exorbitant cost, even should output be reduced because one is dealing with high pressure air/gas. Compressors are not like watches, there is no disruptive technology such as a micro chip which can reduce the size and cost. In a very small compressor, all the moving parts would be there, just smaller. Such things as the Wankel engine have been tried in the automotive world. This engine is very compact, simpler and powerful but the need to control high pressure gasses is a problem that required untold hours of (expensive) engineering time with questionable results. That is to say that efficiency of the Wankel never really over took the reciprocating engine regardless of the level of sophistication used in the chamber and gas seals.

Most of this has been explicitly stated or implied in the above posts already so this is just a courtesy which puts some emphasis on what has already been explained.

Last edited:
12 years ago I owned a Pontiac station-wagon that was running on natural gas (methane). The gas distributor had fill stations set up at various Shell stations in town. They were talking about selling small compressors to be used at home. You could hook up your car in the evening and the cylinder would be full the next morning. It did not happen, the thing did not catch on and they stopped supplying us. It cost about 40% less to run a car on methane.

I don't know if the compressors were ever made or what happened with the program, I don't even know if cars are still running on natural gas. The pressure in the cylinder was about 3500 psi when full.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom