Compressor questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basicall, My thought on an Auto Stop function to me is just for a convenience if I need walk away from the system for whatever reasons when I am runing the compressor system. And usaully if I am in base on side of it during the operation I just use "manual mode" but not the auto mode.

Actually, we just hook it up to the off/on switch on a standard engine.

Ray.
Interesting, over here the standard Honda petrol engine is with oil alert, and without is a special order and costs $60 more!!! Another American oddment, were just exporting out this week 4 Lister TR3 diesel units 18.5Kw 24HP. There UK built motors yet came stickered up "Important Notice" This engine does not comply with US federal exhaust emission EPA Regulations. What's up? you guys getting a conscience or what? lol.

Ray.
Interesting, over here the standard Honda petrol engine is with oil alert, and without is a special order and costs $60 more!!! Another American oddment, were just exporting out this week 4 Lister TR3 diesel units 18.5Kw 24HP. There UK built motors yet came stickered up "Important Notice" This engine does not comply with US federal exhaust emission EPA Regulations. What's up? you guys getting a conscience or what? lol.

The USA was the first country to impose emission control regs for internal combustion engines. (automobiles, 1968). Europe resisted this for some time but had to comply in order to export. It eventually caused the demise of the SAAB two cycle and the VW boxer, air cooled engine. Porsche held on but with certain compromises. The American invention of the catalytic converter helped them comply. (LOL)

Your comment about these compressors not made for Diving is incorrect. I was a Navy officer who went through training at the U S Navy Underwater Swimmers School in Key West Florida in 1962 and then spent another 5 years in EOD. The compressor was standard equipment in the Navy in EOD, UDT and SEAL units. The compressors were also sold commercially to manufacturers for Breathing Air applications to fill Scott Air Pacs and also sold on contracts for flame throwers. The difference in the Breathing Air military applications was the addition of an "inline" air purification cartridge that was not present in the other versions. There is no difference in the compressors built then by Kidde, later by Noah Howden and today by Meggitt. The only item needed to be added to one of these surplus compressors after the moisture condensing unit, is a good air purification Filter. Most of these military compressors are far superior to any small commercial compressor made today. They are extremely well built of high quality materials and have a longer operating life than any small units produced today.
Jim Shelden
frogman62

Thanks Pesky and Jim and all,

I'm glad to hear these were made for breathing air. I'm not sure I'll ever use it for Nitrox, but thought I'd ask. If it's questionable, that is not a problem. I've found a local source for $3 air fills, and I think Nitrox is $10. It seems like a good price for a small portable compressor, and it has new filter appliance and filters. It's on it's way to me, and I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get it.

One I have now is regarding compressor oil. The owner suggested Anderol 500. Says it takes about 3/4 liter (of course he drained it before shipping). Is this the best (or proper) oil to use? I'm not doubting the owner, more wondering if there might be better oils (newer) that I should consider. Also, a source for this oil. I do plan on changing it often. He's sending the original Tech manual so I'll see what they recommend for that interval, but my experience with autos is that oil changes are cheap insurance.

Thanks for all the help.

There are several places to go to have your air tested so do it don't mess around.
Establish a baseline quality, change your oil every 50 hours at a minimum and test frequently. There is a huge difference between believing you have good air:no and knowing you do. :wink: Here is a secret but don't tell anyone. Sport Chalet or any good dive shop will have the ability to send your air in for analysis. many will do it for free. I might even ask the seller to provide you with a report.

Bow Wow
Dawgdirt

Waterskier1, I have used Anderol 500 oil for forty years and have very good service with it. In the last 3 years I have also used Summitt DSL-100 which is also a diester based oil and very good. I change oil about every 25-30 hours , because they both have a tendency to absorb water vapor which I believe is good. Change oil regularly because you will "pay now or pay me later for repairs"
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom