Compressor Pressure guage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just acquired an MCH6 petrol driven compressor and am in the process of checking it out. It is second hand, clearly done quite a bit of work so I am going to give it a basic service and get the output tested.

I ran it up the other day after servicing the engine and it seemed ok and was pumping air, though I did not put any tanks on it. My focus on this point was the honda engine. I left it outside, it was a sunny day and when I went back the gromet on the guage had popped out and the oil in the guage had leaked out. I can order a new guage, not a problem but I am curious as to what the oil does. I am assuming it is 1. a damper and 2. an airspace filler in order to stop the space becoming pressurised with air in case of a leak and letting go stored energy. If so, and if there are no leaks can the oil be replaced as it will take some time for a replacement to arrive here. Thanks in advance.

As far as I know (which isn't a ton) it's for dampening the vibrations from reaching the needle.

New gauges are $15. Not sure why it "popped" though, that's interesting.

Quite a few of my gauges have "popped" over the years. Not always a problem. They can be run dry or refilled with glycerine(mostly), generally a sign of a leak in the gauge tho. I usually keep using them, if they seem to read consistently, until the replacement arrives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom