Compressor Oil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking for Anderol 500. It seems that this has been discontinued. I have found cross references, but none in less than 55 gal barrels or 5 gal drums.

I believe my SW 4 cfm compressor needs less than a quart. I can see buying a gallon assuming that it won't go bad (asorb moisture or something?), there is no way I can see using 5 gallons or more.

What is the current recommended oil for this? I think Pesky suggested Nuvair 455. I found Colrti 455 for $39/gallon, and it seems this includes ground shippong. That sounds really reasonable - but only if it is what I need.

Is that the same as Nuvair 455? Is that what I want. If not, can anyone provide me with a link or company that sells what I need, in quarts or gallon, for a reasonable price?

I suggest Mobil JET II for the high speed Stewart Warner. This oil is very superior in lubricity, anti wear and is non-toxic. As to Omnilube 455, I have recommended this advanced, 30W food grade oil for some compressors, those using NITROX, and slower rotating machines. My SW and Kidde compressors use Omnilube 32/46 (food grade) made by the same company because of the lower viscosity normally required in precision compressors like Kidde and Stewart Warner. JET II is the alternate. The military recommends an aircraft instrument oil (Chemlube 201) for arctic conditions. Except for JET II, these oils are made by Ultrachem and marketed under private labels. I doubt that Omnilube 455 would damage your compressor in any way and should perform well, especially in very hot climate. The same comment for Anderol 500 (now 555). JET II is available from Sacramento Air Ranch in qt quantities. Omnilube 455 is available from NUVAIR in gallon quantities. Omnilube 32/46 is available from Ultrachem dealers in 5 gal tin. Anderol is hard to find in the USA although some folks seem to have no problem. An alternate is Chemlube 501.

About your other questions; synthetic oils have a 30 year shelf life. The sump of the 4 cfm SW compressor holds one quart. As to the various private brands of oil, consult the vendor.

Some paintball folks posting on another blog said that they have been using Mobil 1 engine oil in their Kidde compressors. Also, I noticed that a Bauer compressor for sale on EBay, a unit with thousands of hours, had been lubed exclusively with Mobil 1. My understanding from the ad is that the compressor was given a clean bill of health in regular inspections.

Well, if one is going to use a synthetic engine oil then Mobil is the way to go. This is possibly the only true synthetic PAO (poly-alpha-olefin) on the market. The rest are fakes, specially refined petroleum. Chemically, and in terms of viscosity, Mobil oil base stock is similar to Omnilube 32/46 without the "food grade" status. I would not use Mobil 1 in a breathing air compressor for obvious reasons but it does seem to be a good lubricant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom