Compressor oil viscosity vs air temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm :nogin scratch:

Since you said you were using Coltri Oil I immediately tossed that out for your problem. But after cleaning and still getting stinky so fast, I am not so sure. The only other time I have had someone with a similar problem was in India where they substituted automotive oil for compressor oil.

I suggest purchasing some new oil from a compressor company you trust. Drain the old stuff and look at it closely. Check for any carbon chunks, metal shavings or anything else that could indicate compressor damage.

Also make sure that your drain valve on the separator is allowing the oil/water to drain.

hi ray,thanx for ur reply.the weather is fairly good here at the moment so i just needed to get to the bottom of this smelly air issue ,so i could just get back to divin asap.i didnt want to send my compressor to the main dealer,which is in england.so out with the tools and started wrenchin.ibroke it down to the bare block with just the 4 stages left on.i found alot of black carbon in coolin tube outlet side of stage 3 and 4.i took off cylinders 3,4 and the valves ,springs and all around that area was really caked up with smelly burned carbon.i cleaned up as best i could and put it all back together.i think i may have solved the problem now.fill rate is normal and the white milky mulch in the guage cylinder is back to normal levels.i filled a few tanks and the air seems fairly clean now.time will tell.taught i would share my results with the forum. for the record,the first time ur air gets bad even after you change ur carbon filter,check that the milky mulch build up is not excessive with tiny black carbon specks present,chances are ur valves in the 3rd an 4th stages ar very dirty and need cleaning.thanks again ray for ur input.

Last edited:
If you are packing your own filters you may need get new filter media. Also you may want to check that when you are opening your drains manually that you are getting moisture out of the valve if not the valve could be plugged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom