Compressor for small dive operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

straka3

New
Reaction score
I work for a small dive operation in St. John, we have a 6 person boat and we also do training from shore. We are expanding and are looking into buying our own compressor. We use anywhere from 6-20 tanks a day 6-7 days a week. We were hoping to obtain some information regarding the reliability, service, warranty, and efficiency of different systems to meet these needs. We are currently considering airetex, and I was hoping to get some feedback from their customers. Were you satisfied, and if you had it to do over would you buy from them again? Thanks so much for your help.

Sincerely,
Chris

You can't go by brand alone unless you tell us which model/size you are looking at. For instance, I import some compressor from Europe and while the line is broad and priced right, there are three or four models that just wouldn't work for you. I am sure that Airtex has the same thing going on.

You need to decide how much time per day you can spend filling tanks. You also need to know what kind of driver you need (single phase, three phase, gas or diesel). Set your compressor size according to those restrictions. For instance, to fill 20 tanks within three hours will require an 8 or 9 SCFM machine.

Additionally, you are going to need to add a separate filtration system. Most compact compressors come with a standard filter that processes about 3000-4000 cubic feet of air per cartridge. For your use, that means changing filters every other day! If AirTex, or any other supplier for that matter, doesn't tell you about the limitations of their compressor system, then just walk away.

And, as far as service is concerned, every manufacturer of compressor has spare parts available. However, it is your compressor mechanic that is going to have to be taking care of your investment. Any warranty will require that you bring/send your machine in, along with it's run time/service log, for any warranty work. In most cases, that is cost prohibitive, so it behooves your mechanic to keep it cool, clean and maintained to avoid any problems.

Call Bruce at Airetex 1 888 712 1588. I'm sure he can give you a list of clients that own Airetex compressors. The w32 8cfm is one nice compressor, quiet as can be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom