Compression of fruit at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silly me, I thought lowviz' "Eggplant!" resulted from him somehow misspelling "Elegant!" and spell checker "fixing" it.

But so what? Adding eggplant to the mix sounds fun.

Amazing thread!!!
The videos are beautiful.

I am wondering why the tomato expanded during pressurization.
How fast was the pressure gradient?
d(pressure)/dt?

Might it be related to different diffusion of molecules through the semipermeable skin and related partial pressure differential?

Truly the dullest video on youtube.... I wonder what would happen if you left it in there for a while under pressure? Would it get narc'd? could you get it bent if you leave it in over night and then do a rapid decompression? how would a banana do? kind of curious to see a narc'd banana... Peeps (a little marshmallow animal) would be cool to compress and then see if it would get bent..... I think you would have a really great series of videos showing nothing happening to all sorts of different objects... people clamoring to all see the effects of pressure on a variety of the unrelated objects... After two years of US political ads, America scream for non-political content. I wonder if they make Obama and Romney peeps.

Okay having read a lot of this thread, a couple of thoughts. First, a tomato is alive and it does respire, therefore it will absorb gas over time. if you leave it out to warm to room temp it should improve your results, you will also need to keep it under pressure to get it past the NDL for a tomato (Consult the US Dept of Agriculture No Decompression Tables for fruits and salads, just keep in mind the NDL for vegitables may vary based on gas mixture used, duration, depth, physical exertion of the tomato and tissue type (e.g. seed vs pulp)). Second, a tomato from the store will have a waxy coating on it that will inhibit gas exchange through the surface of the tomato, either use a organic (uncoated) tomato or one that was home grown. Third, don't do a mouse... it will give you nightmares and you will feel like a total sh!t*. forth, I have seen styrofoam cups that were tied to the outside of submarines. they turn into thimbles. I doubt you will get satisfactory results with your home brew chamber. However you were entertained by doing a tomato, so a cup should be absolutely F**king amazing by comparison.

*don't ask how I know about the mouse

This is so weird!

I was just sitting here, thinking about nothing in particular.. and then I found myself wondering if I went Scuba Diving with a tomato in my BCD pocket what would happen, and then I clicked on "New Posts" and here it is!

What are the odds
I once dived boiled eggs in my pockets and nothing happened to them.

I have about 50 pounds of extra eggplants here if anybody wants to experiment. They seem to just keep growing and growing. I can't figure out what to do with them all.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom