Completely new to underwater videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9supratt4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As the subject states, I am completely new to underwater videography. I have used cameras out of water though.

I am wondering if there was a book or a website that I can use to research how to, and perfect shooting underwater.

I will be using a JVC Everio HD camera with Equinox HD6 housing.

As the subject states, I am completely new to underwater videography. I have used cameras out of water though.

I am wondering if there was a book or a website that I can use to research how to, and perfect shooting underwater.

I will be using a JVC Everio HD camera with Equinox HD6 housing.

You have come to a very good source of information! ScubaBoard Video Forum !:D
Read all the posts and watch everyone's videos, ask questions, and dive!

My first suggestion would be to put in some dive time, take some bouyancy classes and perfect your diving before grabbing a camera. (I am assuming the 0-24 dives on your profile is correct) I understand your desire to grab the camera but UW photography and videography demand exceptional diving skills, skills that do not come overnight but require a lot of practice. Once you can hover dead still, move forward, backward and rotate with just your fins, move along keeping a constant depth and fin without kicking up a cloud of silt behind without thinking about it, then is the time to grab the camera. Become an excellent diver first, it will show later in your camera work.

My first suggestion would be to put in some dive time, take some bouyancy classes and perfect your diving before grabbing a camera. (I am assuming the 0-24 dives on your profile is correct) I understand your desire to grab the camera but UW photography and videography demand exceptional diving skills, skills that do not come overnight but require a lot of practice. Once you can hover dead still, move forward, backward and rotate with just your fins, move along keeping a constant depth and fin without kicking up a cloud of silt behind without thinking about it, then is the time to grab the camera. Become an excellent diver first, it will show later in your camera work.

Thanks herman!! You are correct in that I have 15-20 divs under my belt so far and I just completed the AOW Cert. I do have to say though, that my bouyancy is exceptional for a beginner. My instructors have said so and my girlfriend yells at me because I can hover in one place while watching her go up and down and around...lol. I will continue to practice until I get in the water with the camera, which will be in April.

You have come to a very good source of information! ScubaBoard Video Forum !:D
Read all the posts and watch everyone's videos, ask questions, and dive!

I will certainly do that!! Thanks!!

Thanks herman!! You are correct in that I have 15-20 divs under my belt so far and I just completed the AOW Cert. I do have to say though, that my bouyancy is exceptional for a beginner. My instructors have said so and my girlfriend yells at me because I can hover in one place while watching her go up and down and around...lol. I will continue to practice until I get in the water with the camera, which will be in April.

You will be surprized at the task loading a camera brings. I have seen good divers go totally to pieces once they had a camera in their hands. Your skills have to be instinctive once you take on a camera, wheather you realize it or not, my bet is you are still doing a lot of "thinking" about buoyancy. While not exactly for video, here is the "Am I ready for photography" test I recommend.
In a safe place (pool- quarry- somewhere you can't hurt yourself or the enviroment) find a small object on a post/wall/rock to be your photo subject. Hold your hands out at arms length in frount of you and form a square with both hands- this is your imaginary camera's viewfinder. Center the object in your "fiewfinder", while in mid water hovering, swim up to within 6 inches of it, hold that postion for at least 15 seconds while you focus, take the photo then back away without using your hands (they are holding the camera), turn using your fins then swim off. Once you can do that with ease, you are ready to pick up a camera. Concentrate on the "camera" in your hands and forget about diving, your bouyancy should be instinctive at this point. If you accend, decend (crash into the bottom :) )or can't hold position without thinking about it, you need to practice your diving skills more.
While I am at it, you also need to have an instinctive feel for you air pressure and where your dive buddy is. As photographers/videographers we tend to be horrible buddies. It is way too easy to get caught up in the camera and forget about everything else.

Some links:

Annie Crawley's DVD - she's the "Camera Coach" referred to in the forum above this one:
diveintoyourimagination.com - The Camera Coach®

Underwater Video Basics - Home - Steve Miller's DVD

Hammerhead Press has a fairly recent book: Underwater Digital Video Made Easy - from Hammerhead Press

There's also the Jim Church book - Essential Guide to Underwater Video. But it was written in the mid-80's so any of the technology is very dated now. There is a good chapter on composition - you can find it cheap on Amazon.

I learned quite a bit when starting out on Wetpixel also. Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums -> Video Gear and Technique More pro shooters hang out there though so sometimes the topics are a little esoteric.

That's a very good test Herman.

A few easy things that I find make a big difference:

- let the subject do the moving, you and the camcorder stay still (no panning)
- let the subject enter and leave the frame, subject does not always need to be centered
- keep the sun at your back whenever possible

You will be surprized at the task loading a camera brings. I have seen good divers go totally to pieces once they had a camera in their hands. Your skills have to be instinctive once you take on a camera, wheather you realize it or not, my bet is you are still doing a lot of "thinking" about buoyancy. While not exactly for video, here is the "Am I ready for photography" test I recommend.
In a safe place (pool- quarry- somewhere you can't hurt yourself or the enviroment) find a small object on a post/wall/rock to be your photo subject. Hold your hands out at arms length in frount of you and form a square with both hands- this is your imaginary camera's viewfinder. Center the object in your "fiewfinder", while in mid water hovering, swim up to within 6 inches of it, hold that postion for at least 15 seconds while you focus, take the photo then back away without using your hands (they are holding the camera), turn using your fins then swim off. Once you can do that with ease, you are ready to pick up a camera. Concentrate on the "camera" in your hands and forget about diving, your bouyancy should be instinctive at this point. If you accend, decend (crash into the bottom :) )or can't hold position without thinking about it, you need to practice your diving skills more.
While I am at it, you also need to have an instinctive feel for you air pressure and where your dive buddy is. As photographers/videographers we tend to be horrible buddies. It is way too easy to get caught up in the camera and forget about everything else.

It's funny you bring that up!! During my peak performance bouyancy dive this past weekend my instructor had us do the same thing with the arms and the square (camera). I actually was able to do that. I agree that I still need more experience diving and I have between now and April before I take a camera in the water with me. I'm really trying to learn the technicals, the filters, the lighting, white balance at depth, etc. so that I am prepared when the time comes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom