Complete Confusion W/ Reg Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks RTee, that actually answers a question I have ref. DIV v. Yoke regs. I really want to go about this the right way, and educating myself before I make purchases down the road. Much appreciated again!

....if you think reg choices are confusing, just wait until you begin to research BCs/wings......dive computers....lights. Regs are pretty idiot-proof and simple with minor variations between them, picking out appropriate BCs/wings......dive computers....lights is vastly more involved than researching regs!

I have both a DIN to yoke adapters to mount my DIN regs on yoke valves (the Poseidon Cyclon 300 comes with one) as well as a DIN filling adapter just in case I have trouble (rare, but happens) on the filling end.

One note on DIN-to-yoke adapters (the spin-on type, not an internal conversion): They will make the regulator protrude a bit more from the tank valve -- toward your head. This may or may not be an issue for you, depending on your set-up and your physical attributes.

@Jim Lapenta: The content of my previous post was accurate. It was not "sour grapes" or "BS." Not sure why you've chosen to use that sort of language to characterize what I've written. You carry HOG gear. You sell it to recreational divers, despite the manufacturer's marketing bias -- that's your prerogative. The HOG line of gear is marketed toward tech divers, whereas the Edge line of gear is marketed towards recreational divers. It's disingenuous to try to sell a recreational diver (or non-certified diver) a HOG reg set and tell him that the HOG reg repair course is open to him. It is not. The diver will only be allowed to take the reg repair class if he holds a tech certification or has taken some sort of "approved" tech diving class. As I specifically stated in my post, the nature of the OP's eventual training may qualify him to take the class.

Since you've become a HOG dealer and written your book, it has become difficult to tell whether the primary intent of your posts is to answer the OP's question or sell him some of your stuff. It's unfortunate because I think you have a lot of wisdom to share with novices regarding diver safety.

Please make it clear in any of your posts containing HOG gear solicitations what the prerequisites for the HOG reg repair course are. This is simply being up front with the consumer. In fact, if you think about it, this protects you in the event that a recreational diver buys HOG regs and then becomes frustrated that he cannot enroll in the HOG reg repair class.

Have a nice weekend...

DIN vs Yoke...do not sweat the small stuff. You can easily use a DIN to Yoke adaptor when diving Yoke configured tank or use it as such when using HP tank. To the best of my knowledge, the reverse is not yet possible. In fact, purchasing a DIN reg assembly and an adaptor will provide you with max flexibility to support present and future rec and even tech diving should you become interested in the latter.

This is, unfortunately, a misleading statement. Using a DIN/yoke converter has a very real problem in that it pushes the reg at least an inch off the tank valve; that one inch often results in the reg banging against your head when you look up. It is NOT comfortable for most divers, and has a much more noticeable impact on diving enjoyment than the performance differences between any decent quality reg, which mostly are a matter of adjustment and quality service anyway. The only decent solution for someone who regularly dives yoke and DIN tanks (like me) is to have separate regs for each. And since in the U.S. the vast majority of the OW classes, charters, rentals, geared towards new divers are yoke tanks...

When HOG comes out with a yoke conversion, then they're appropriate for someone in the OP's position. I'm not anti-HOG, as I'm not in the business at all and have zero interest in what someone decides to buy. The prices for those regs are a huge improvement over the typical bloated retail ($1500 for a titanium atomic?) and the company's attitude toward self service is a great step in the right direction. But that still doesn't make DIN regs a smart purchase for someone using yoke tanks.

Fine, if HOG is a "tech diver" issue (and I can't imagine that a public safety diver, as an actual professional, would not be included in the repair deal) go Edge. I don't get this tech vs. rec thing anyway.

On another note, I have no problem with a yoke adapter on a DIN regulator. If you do, might I suggest that you tank is way too high in whatever sort of pack you are using, the regulator should be at low neck level, not head level.

As far as Jim's possible conflict of interest, I just don't see it here. Jim sells stuff that he believes in and there are plenty other places to buy HOG of EDGE gear.

I don't get this tech vs. rec thing anyway.
You know, I don't get it either. Regs are regs. All divers want a reliable, reasonably priced reg that is easy to service and performs well.

On a side note, I kind of wonder why the company didn't just offer one product line, at least with regard to regs. From the very beginning, the HOG regs could have easily been sold in a DIN or yoke configuration, with the parts to convert from one to the other sold separately. And, frankly, I still don't understand the reluctance to open up the reg repair class to recreational divers with no aspirations in tech diving. All divers should know how their gear works and how to troubleshoot minor reg issues. If they want to learn how to service their regs, more power to them. Interest should be the only prerequisite for the course.
On another note, I have no problem with a yoke adapter on a DIN regulator. If you do, might I suggest that you tank is way too high in whatever sort of pack you are using, the regulator should be at low neck level, not head level.
I agree. On several occasions, I've used my DIN-configured regs with a spin-on DIN-to-yoke adapter without any issue.
I have, however, heard of other divers complain of the issue of the adapter causing the first stage to protrude so much that it touches the back of their head. As you mentioned, it most likely has to do with positioning of the tank relative to BC. It may also have something to do with the reg design -- a linear first stage configuration (like the MK2) may protrude more than the "right angle" design of diaphragm HOG/Apeks/Zeagle/Aqualung/etc. regs. :idk:

If the OP intends on diving exclusively with yoke tanks (most rental tanks, most tanks at warm water destinations), I'd recommend getting a yoke-configured reg.
If the OP intends on diving with a mix of both DIN and yoke tanks, then the reg should be configured in DIN.
If using the spin-on DIN-to-yoke adapter makes the rig uncomfortable, it is fairly easy to do the outright conversion to yoke configuration, given the proper parts, tools, torque specs, and a little knowledge.

I can guarantee you that my reg placed not too high, it's just where I want it. For me and MANY, MANY other recreational divers, a DIN/yoke adapter as a permanent or ongoing solution is a poor idea that impacts dive comfort. That's just a fact, and I'm getting a little tired of arguing over something so obvious. (I guess that's the nature of SB :D ) As a necessary occasional fix or a way for someone who owns DIN tanks to use yoke, fine, but to recommend someone buy a DIN reg when they're primarily using yoke tanks, given the fact that there are dozens of excellent choices among yoke regs, is just not smart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom