competition on curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, our biggest issue was that they won't run their boat if they don't have at least 4 divers. I was concerned about this because we wanted to boat dive every day and fill in with shore dives. I know some people are all about shore diving when they can but we prefer boats. I'd heard from someone who said there was no boat (out of service) the whole time they were there except one day they sent a boat from the other shop. I have an email from the shop claiming that never happened. (I know who I believe now!) I had a number of emails back and forth with them making it clear we wanted to boat dive every day and the last response I got was that she was sure they would be able to accomodate us. Well we got there, had boat dives for a few days, and one day we got off the boat and one of the DMs said there was a "problem" check at the office. Well, the problem was that they did not have enough divers and wouldn't be running their boat for the rest of the time we were supposed to be there! (another week.)

Apparently their definition of "accommodate" was that if they weren't running their boat on a given day we could commute an hour in the morning to their other shop and hop on the likely cattleboat there to go to sites that aren't as good as the west end. Even though I had made it quite clear in email we were not interested in that, we were specifically coming there to dive from there and visit various sites in that area. We also discovered they seem to consider driving you to a beach for a guided shore dive an adequate replacement for the boat and they schedule these on some days. They were going to offer that up for the next day, except oops they didn't have enough staff for some reason and weren't doing it anyway. Not that we were interested anyway, I can drive to a beach and dive myself just fine if I want to do that. (Now I don't know the whole truth of this, but one of the DMs mentioned they didn't have a captain the next day. And that the captain they had was actually filling in, the regular one had quit. So I don't know if they would have run the boat even if they had more people.)

Another annoyance was that when we checked out, they would not honor their dive rates posted on the lodge website. It happened that I had printed that and taken it with me. The girl checking us out called the main shop to ask about this, and they refused. They said those were low season rates and it was now high season. Now this was August and very much low season, and the page didn't give dates anyway. Never mind that at one point the shop manager told us "it's low season so it's a crapshoot." (Yes, he actually said crapshoot.) Now, mistakes happen. But in my opinion you honor the posted rates, make a joke about the good deal I got, then fix the website. It was only like 10%, but that was just wrong.

Good description of the shore diving setup in earlier post. All the stuff about it not being quite as handy for shore diving as Habitat with the locker and hours situation is too bad, not the end of the world but something that would be easy enough to solve if they "got it" or thought it mattered. Or most likely, were willing to spend the money to do it. The first day we were diving, they closed the shop at 3 because they all had to go to a meeting at the other shop. Not such a big deal by itself, but in the grand scheme of things just another place it seems you can't count on them.

I can understand something like no afternoon boats if there's not enough people, but I think a serious operation has to guarantee some level of service like everyplace else I've been has done. Otherwise some people won't come there and they won't build the business to the point where they do reliably have more people. Basically, sometimes you have to invest in the future a bit. OE simply don't seem to understand this. Apparently the managers at the OE West shop are under pressure from the main shop to make money on a day to day basis rather than worrying about silly things like the long term. (I heard comments to this effect multiple times.) I would have felt better about it I at least got the impression the manager understood and sympathized a bit, but I didn't. Rather he gave the impression he didn't give a damn. Basically an unfriendly guy with no clue of customer service. I've heard a few times what nice folks the new managers are, but that's sure not what we got when something went wrong.

All the things about easier diving after hours, running boats reliably, and any other comments we had, one of the DMs said they'd made all the same suggestions the first week they worked there but I got the impression they were pretty much blown off.

When we told the hotel we were checking out early, the supervisor I talked to that afternoon was very nice about it and just wanted to understand why so they could fix it. It sounded like that would be a longer term negotiation with the shop. But we got a call that evening from the hotel manager saying he had talked to OE and they would run the boat after all. (I didn't think there was any association between the shop and the hotel, but turns out the hotel rents the property to the shop so they do have some pull.) Unfortunately by that time we had already checked out of the shop, hauled all our gear back to the room and packed everything and had reservations at Habitat the next day. (My husband took the call, if I was there I might have decided it was worth unpacking for that nice reef and hotel, but it was too late for him and he had no desire to do business with OE.) The next day when we were checking out, I spoke with the manager and he said we should book the dive package with the hotel, and then they would guarantee boats. I don't know if that was a new policy made that day, it didn't sound like it - just not advertised anyplace. But if it was a standing policy OEW certainly made no effort to let us know about it. Looking at the whole email thread in hindsight, it seems they would weasel around stuff and say just enough of the right thing when pressed, to get you to come - but not actually live up to the spirit of things if it would hurt their bottom line.

The moral of this story is, book your diving through the hotel and tell them what you want. If you don't get it, or have suggestions, talk to the manager of the hotel. Everyone at the Lodge bends over backwards to please.

If Habitat ran the dive shop at this place it would be heaven ...

Guess I'll be sticking with Habitat, which isn't a bad thing. I found the service at the restaurant fine and while the accomodations are by no means fancy, they were totally acceptable.

Well I can certainly understand why you had such a bad impression of the shop. I would have felt the same. Since we came strictly to shore dive, and just planned to do the mushroom forest/watamula on the boat (we ended up also doing one other day on the boat), we were very happy with them other than the shop closing at 5PM. They never closed early on us - a good thing since we often went out at 4:45PM to grab tanks for that night - and the managers all all the DMs were very pleasant all the time. In the 10 days we have been here, the boat was running for 8 of the days, but they have cancelled it twice due to lack of divers. I can't really blame them for not wanting to take the boat out for less than four people, but I can certainly understand your disappointment. If their normal policy is to not take it out for less than 4, they definitely should have warned you of that in advance.

I totally agree with the assessment that Habitat is a Divers Resort, whereas the Lodge is a resort where you can dive. We found the accomodations and service at the lodge to be so much better that we will definitely come back. I have to admit, it's nice to have a bit of luxury when I dive.

By the way, thanks for the warning on the dive rates. I haven't settled the bill yet, but I will make note of the rates posted on the lodge's website before we go down there tomorrow. We've also made some suggestions about things they could do to make things better. It will be interesting to see if they listen.

I mentioned the rate thing to the hotel manager and he said he would check into it. I still have that sheet but the lodge website seems to be down right now so I can't check if anything changed. Now, I did just notice fine print at the bottom of the page "prices subject to change without notice" so I suppose that would cover them to do whatever they want anyway. I also found something on the OE main site which I had not seen before which says-

SEASONAL SURCHARGE:
20% Dec 20/06 through Jan 8/07
10% Jan 9th through Apr 15th
10% Jun 16th through Aug 19th (we left there on the 18th)

They should really put this info on the rates page on the Lodge site. Seems odd to have a surcharge at a time of year when there seems to be few people there however, it's more typical to lower rates to encourage people to come, as the lodge did.

I think I did see something that said they only run the boat with 4, though I actually can't find it now. Or maybe it was just that someone else told me that, but that's why I asked to begin with. But we had a bunch of emails and in the last couple I was left with the impression that they would run, either because they had enough reservations, or would take the chance of committing to get people to come. There were some other details that aren't worth getting into, but they add up to my feeling I was intentionally misled.

I agree the DMs were great.

Just wrapping up a stay at the Marriott. They have onsite diveshop, with DMs and Instructors and tanks for the taking for shore dives (both air and nitrox 32ean and 36ean) the resturants are great, the house reef is great and the rooms are great. I used my Marriott points to stay but they also have an all inclusive package.

Mike

Just wanted to say that we had no problems at all when settling our bill. In fact Eni, one of the managers went out of her way to charge us the least amount possible based on the number of tanks that we used each day.

Overall, except for the after hours access issue, we had no complaints at all and are looking forward to returning to Lodge Kura Hulanda the next time we go back to Curacao. For us, at least, it's nice to finally have more of a luxury option that's got the bonus of being on a great house reef.

JenM:
Overall, except for the after hours access issue, we had no complaints at all and are looking forward to returning to Lodge Kura Hulanda the next time we go back to Curacao. For us, at least, it's nice to finally have more of a luxury option that's got the bonus of being on a great house reef.

I've been here over a year now and making that long (45 min):14: drive to westpunt is worth the trouble :wink: to dive Alice in Wonderland. There's other gems on the west end too, which makes boat diving almost useless. (I wasn't impressed with Mushroom that much).

There's honey holes all over the island, you just have to be here long enough to find them! :D

Still exploring as time permits...... dang work getting in the way of diving!

tony

Mushroom doesn't do that much for me either, anymore. It used to be a lot neater, like 15 years ago. I think it got clobbered in that storm some years back, and is probably showing some wear as well.

Staying at Habitat, we shore dove the house reef, Cas Abao and Porto Marie. This coming March we plan on returning and exploring further west.

Is Playa Kalki the Kura house reef ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom