Compass Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting that everyone is recommending the SK-7. In the DIY section there is currently a thread with several folks mentioning that the oil in their SK-7s mysteriously leaked out. The thread is "how not to repair a compass" or something like that.

That said, I have no other opinion on the matter. A compass is a compass for the most part and I'm inclined to go with the orienteering compass saxplayer1004 linked as I am a "scuba compass" that costs 15 times as much and works the same.

Can you provide a link to the thread? I found this one, but it does not mention the SK7

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/342438-refilling-old-compass.html

ah I see this one

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/361287-how-not-repair-your-compass.html

I think over all problems with the SK7 are few. The OP in that thread bought a defective computer and now it appears defective/broken compass. He bought it second hand and the guy assured him it was in perfect working order. The computer was one that had a known manufacturing defect in the depth sensor. Any compass will lead the oil if you crack the case that holds the oil.

Can you provide a link to the thread? I found this one, but it does not mention the SK7

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/342438-refilling-old-compass.html

ah I see this one

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/repairing-your-own-gear/361287-how-not-repair-your-compass.html

I think over all problems with the SK7 are few. The OP in that thread bought a defective computer and now it appears defective/broken compass. He bought it second hand and the guy assured him it was in perfect working order. The computer was one that had a known manufacturing defect in the depth sensor. Any compass will lead the oil if you crack the case that holds the oil.
Sure it will. I was just pointing out that several people in that thread, not just the OP, had SK7s that leaked. I don't think buying second hand or new really matters unless the case is cracked. Some of the other folks on the thread didn't mention cracked cases on their leaking compasses, though.

Like I said, I have no horse in the race, I was just pointing out to the OP there are some failures happening, though I don't think anyone even in that particular thread implied the compass was not a quality compass.

Nope.
Orienteering compasses need to be perfectly level to point north. Which isn't much an issue when you're on land and have a good idea about what's horizontal and what's not.

Boat/diving compasses, on the other hand, can work with some tilt - up to 30% for the SK7 if I remember correctly. Which is a very nice feature when you're bouncing at the surface, or you're somewhat disoriented with no clear horizontal reference (it can happen in poor visibility - which is exactly when you need the compass the most).

Also good dive compasses have a fluorescent card, and are a lot easier to use at night than the basic orienteering ones.

That said, I don't like the bulk of the SK7 and I am using a SK5 myself - the couple extra seconds I need to make sure it rotates freely before taking any alignment is a good tradeoff for the reduced bulk.

I'll respectfully disagree that orienteering compasses need to be "perfectly level to point north" as I own several Suunto orienteering compasses that work just fine if they are about 5 or 6 degrees off of level. Granted, that's not the 30 degrees of some of the diving compasses, but I can quite easily tell if a needle is stuck on a compass when I look at it. Others may have varying capabilities with that, I recognize. For them, perhaps the added cost of a "diving compass" is actually worth it. For me it is not.

I'll grant you reading an orienteering compass under water may be more difficult to read under water though I know of several with luminous bezels under $20. I haven't actually used one as I'm perfectly happy with the oceanic compass I got with my console. I'm with you on the bulk, though... too bulky is why I stopped wearing wrist watches in the first place.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions everyone:) I'll let you know when I decide on one!

I have a SK7 and a Uwatec. Both very good. I would use mine on a retractor but everyone needs to make thier own choice based of what they already have on thier wrist, how they like to read thier compass, and so on.

Compasses *sigh*

I'll start with the oldest one I currently have.
images
An old Sherwood module like this but with older looking fonts and numbers. Worked pretty good until a bubble started growing. Now the bubble is huge and interferes with the compass movement. They are not eternal. I must have cracked it open on a rock or something, though I can't find said crack.

Suunto_SK6_compass.jpg
I have 2 Suunto SK6 modules like this one but only one wrist mount. The one I originally had on the wristmount stopped freely rotating all of a sudden. Some white plastic looking shards started floating around in the oil -- so I guess it died of old age. I took the dead module out of the wrist mount, but inadvertently left the wristmount on top of my car and went for a drive. It just so happens that the wristmount is made of a brittle hard plastic. I found the completely broken remains of the wrist mount in the middle of the street three houses away from mine. So now I have 1 perfectly fine SK6 module, but no wrist mount for it.

images
I got a brand new one of these generic Taiwanese compasses off from ebay for around $15. I never got around to putting it into bungees. Because of that I would often tighten the straps at depth and loosen them at surface (neoprene seals). The factory strap was not very secure. It fell off one time while I was cutting off a old stainless buckle from a weight belt we found at 140 ft. Luckily my buddy noticed it and caught before it fell off into the abyss. A few weeks thereafter it fell down again as I was getting out of the water and after just loosening the straps. This time I lost it for good.

AQUWC.jpg
Then I decided to start carrying out one of these in my watch band. They are really cheap, something in the order of $3 for 2 modules in ebay. Initially I got them to permanently have a discreet compass with me at all time -- above or below the surface. I was using it underwater along with the 1st SK6. If I had doubts about the SK6 pointing out north correctly I would confirm with the watchband one. It was slim, unobtrusive, and cheap. Then the 1st SK6 died and I destroyed the wristmount so for a while this was my only compass. Surprisingly, on one dive where I went down earlier than originally intended I successfully used it to navigate underwater for about 120 yards and get to a wreck in 10-15 ft vis. I was happy, but my happiness did not last long. A week after the wreck dive, I noted that the cheap compass was no longer pointing north. It now seemed to erratically point more to the south. The other cheap module I had home was not rotating too smoothly and it seemed to sometimes get stuck pointing in the wrong direction. Cheap garbage.

ball-compass.png
Last week I got one of these at my local outdoor store for $3. The ones on the shelf seemed to point in the right direction and rotated freely and smoothly. This last weekend I tried it out underwater taking it to 101ft. I ran my watch band through the closed brass safety pin. It does have a small bubble like the picture above shows. It being cheap, I half expected it to implode. It survived and performed very well. It was also very nice to have it point in the right direction without having to put it in a level position.

This is me checking out the compass performance this last Sunday. It may be breaking rule #6 but, honestly, it wasn't obtrusive at all. And besides, it feels good making your own rules. Notice how it doesn't seem to have a higher profile than my dive computer.

Picture151.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Everybody knows what compass to buy the Suunto SK 7 Now were to buy it? Have you checked out Leisure Pro They have the product at a great price. You can save between 26% to 30% on the wrist or retractor models off retial price. Just go to Leisure Pro's webpage and type in Suunto Compass in the search window to see all options.

Sincerely,

Leisure Proski

but-------does it come with a full factory warranty.........lmbo....:cool2:

I'm a newish diver (below average? :wink:) and I bought a compass last summer. I researched by searching here and reading a number of threads. As in this thread, I came away with the feeling that the Suunto SK-7 was the best one. I knew I wanted to try it wrist mounted.

Well I drove to a store with an SK-7 in stock, and..... I was a little bit daunted by the size (height) of it. I really couldn't decide if it would bother me that it was so tall. I could tell part of it was the stock strap, but could not tell how much. It did seem really good in that you could tilt it quite a bit and it would not get hung up.

I had to make a quick decision (was on a drive trip, needed it), and I decided to try an Uwatec FS-1 compass. It's a bit lower profile, and there is still a DSS boot made for it, as there is for the SK-7 (I checked because I wanted that as an option). I ended up making my own wrist mount because there was no way to order one in time for the trip (was already there, and in Florida). I just bought a bare compass unit, no strap or anything (guess it was meant to put in a console; was packaged this way from the mfgr.).

Comments: All in all it has worked fine for what I've needed it to do so far (basic navigation on shallow reef dives). I do have to make sure it is reasonably level, but then (maybe because I am a beginner), I also have to take a bit of care in getting my arm perpendicular to my body which usually levels it as well. I do appreciate that it does not stick up too far. As it is it occasionally gets hung up slightly on my BC strap when donning or doffing.

One thing that slightly bugs me (maybe because I am used to other compasses when not diving) is that they abbreviate the numbers. "30" for 300; "33" for 330, etc. You can see that in a photo of it here if you like:

FS-1 COMPASS - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

My oftentimes-buddy uses a small compass that is part of a slate, and he likes that set up. I like it on my wrist.

Blue Sparkle

but-------does it come with a full factory warranty.........lmbo....:cool2:

Who cares how the warranty is executed? Does it really matter if I take a product to the store and the store has to then call the mfg to get them to make it right and they do. Or if I contact the store and they have the authority to make it right for me on the spot. As long as I have a warranty, I don't care and I suspect most don't care who takes care of the problem so long as it is handled. LP stands behind the products they sell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom