Compass Bungie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
An interesting thing happened to me last month. Normally I dive with a drysuit. My SK70 shockcord that fits very nicely when I'm wearing my DS.

Last month I went diving in warm water and no DS. The compass spun on my arm like a top. It got left on the boat.

So for those of you that go between warm and cold configurations - what do you do in this situation?

I tightened the bungies and slid the compass up to my upper forearm...no problem.

I have bungees on a bunch of my instruments. I either adjust the length of the bungee cord (which usually involves opening several knots) when going from a thin wetsuit to a thicker one or a drysuit, or some of my instruments have thinner than normal elastic webbing/cord which can accommodate a wider range of suits (stretches more) while still remaining comfortable.

As a semi-interesting aside, George and JJ used to advocate (maybe they still do) having a regular strap on at least one wrist instrument so that it could be used to help minimize a wrist seal leak in a pinch.

I have two SK7 Boots, they're not really expensive so why bother to constantly readjust the bungies when I can have one for the DS and one for the wetsuit. Samething goes for the computer boot.

I do 2 things for this. for the items that fit in the DSS mounts, I have 2, with one sized for 3mil or less, and one for DS. I just pop out the BT, Compass, whatever, and put it in the right mount for the exposure suit.
For the items I have that don't fit or work in the DSS mounts, I just size the bungie for the DS, then when I put on something thinner i just tie a small knot in one or both bungie loops to take up the extra slack. Then I undo it when I am back to cold water.

I use the DSS mount and placed loops for dry suit AND wet suit. The dry suit bungy is the thin 1/8" which works quite effectively for getting it over the seals. For the wet suit, I use the 3/16" which keeps the compass nice and snug. I just fold the loops that are not in use underneath the compass. Works great. Simple. Don't need to swap anything.

PacketSniffer:
I use the DSS mount and placed loops for dry suit AND wet suit. The dry suit bungy is the thin 1/8" which works quite effectively for getting it over the seals. For the wet suit, I use the 3/16" which keeps the compass nice and snug. I just fold the loops that are not in use underneath the compass. Works great. Simple. Don't need to swap anything.

Very interesting idea. That is what I like about this forum, getting ideas that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

*Floater*:
As a semi-interesting aside, George and JJ used to advocate (maybe they still do) having a regular strap on at least one wrist instrument so that it could be used to help minimize a wrist seal leak in a pinch.
...which is fine if you're a warm-water cave diver who doesn't use gloves. But there's no conceivable way I'd ever be able to cinch the strap tighter in cold water with gloves on. It's hard enough fiddling with the straps on the surface, half the time I'd have to get my buddy to help me!

jhoey:
...which is fine if you're a warm-water cave diver who doesn't use gloves. But there's no conceivable way I'd ever be able to cinch the strap tighter in cold water with gloves on. It's hard enough fiddling with the straps on the surface, half the time I'd have to get my buddy to help me!

What do you call "cold" water. I had a buddy who had a watch-strap come loose in 57ish degree water. Clipped off my camera and tightened it while she held it to her wrist.

Granted, if I had 3 finger mitts or 7MM gloves I could see a problem.

Maybe cold is relative

limeyx:
What do you call "cold" water. I had a buddy who had a watch-strap come loose in 57ish degree water. Clipped off my camera and tightened it while she held it to her wrist.

Granted, if I had 3 finger mitts or 7MM gloves I could see a problem.

Maybe cold is relative

Vancouver diving = 44deg. Drygloves with polartech liners. Try it and you'll see... the strap that comes with the Suunto compass is barely long enough to fit over a drysuit, there's just not enough to get hold of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom