Compass and Reg Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netwurk13

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could help me with a question I have. I just recently purchased a BC and Reg package from LP. I got the Mares MC2 computer and I purchased the optional compass kit. However, when I turn the compass upside down and then bring it right side up the internal compass is tilted sideways. I have to tap on it or shake it around so that it sits straight again. I was wondering if mine is defective or if this is just a flaw in this model.

Also, I purchased the Mares Proton 12 regulator and noticed that the purge button sits slightly angled. In other words, if you look at the purge button from the top of the reg. it seems that the right side of the button sits further into the regulator than the left side. The left is more "popped out." It works perfectly, but just wondering if this was normal.

Thanks for any input!

It's not necessarily normal, however if a compass is inverted, I don't believe it's uncommon for it to be tilted or stick slightly until it is right side up again.

I also have a proton second and the purge is normally slightly depressed from the metal mesh around the reg, but it's still flush with the ring around the purge button.

The compass stays tilted even after you bring it right side up again. It still functions, but you could tell it doesn't spin freely. Thats when I tap it to get it centered. Thanks for the proton info.

Hmmm...It sounds a bit defective to me. My compass is leveled every time I use it and I get inverted, sideways, etc...I just went and checked it just to see. I turned it upside down, side ways, spun it, put it diagonal then upside down then spun it:) It came back to floating perfectly level.
As far as your regulator, I personally do not like the sound of what you describe, unless it is simply a design feature. As a suggestion, I would get it checked out asap. I don't know if there are shops that have Mares technicians. And Mares may be a company as is Aqualung and Scubapro who do not honor warranties from their products being purchased from Leisure Pro. At least get a technician to check it out before you dive with it again.

rawls:
As a suggestion, I would get it checked out asap. I don't know if there are shops that have Mares technicians. And Mares may be a company as is Aqualung and Scubapro who do not honor warranties from their products being purchased from Leisure Pro. At least get a technician to check it out before you dive with it again.

Netwurk,
I hope you have a backup or weren't planning on diving this weekend (or next). :no This is EXACTLY why I buy my gear only from my LDS. If I ever have an issue like you describe, I know that I can drop by on a Friday afternoon and at a minimum be diving on Saturday morning with a loaner reg. THAT is what I get in return for the extra few bucks that I pay over on-line retailers.

Personally, given the fact that here in New England you can count the wetsuit season weekends without running out of fingers and toes, the "insurance policy" of knowing that in my LDS (United Divers of Somerville, MA www.uniteddivers.com ) I have a shop who will PROMPTLY stand behind their product, has an awesome IN HOUSE service department and knows the importance of getting THEIR CUSTOMER back in the water without missing a single prescious weekend (not to mention the hassle of calls, emails, packaging up my reg or BC, going to the post office to ship it, following up by email to check on the progress, waiting impatiently at home for that package to arrive back in the mail, etc.) is worth WAY MORE than the difference I pay. I know that this may not be worth it to everyone, and to others the $ difference is felt more in their wallet, but I think that every diver (especially new divers, those without backup gear and folks in colder climates) should weigh the "savings" of on-line purchases against the cost of often loosing manufacturers warranties, and ALWAYS loosing prescious dive time if you're shipping your gear back and forth for service by a technician you will likely never meet.

Me, I'm diving this weekend. :yeahbaby: Gotta run . . . high tide in two hours!!:yeahbaby:

clambake,

i understand exactly where you're coming from, but I had no idea that I would lose the manuf. warranty buying from LP.

I would have probably considered other options if I knew that then.

Don't worry. Call LP and they will take care of it with their own warranty. They will either fix or replace the item. Work with them in a positive manner and you'll have no problems.

Work with them in a positive manner and you'll have no problems.
Sounds to me like Netwurk already "work[ed] with them in a positive manner." He gave them money, they gave him a product that turned out to be defective. I'm assuming he would not be obnoxious in calling them for a prompt fix/replacement, but this doesn't sound like a situation that should call for a "pretty please" to get prompt responsive action. It's just too bad that he'll have to go through the hassle of remote servicing.

Sounds to me like Netwurk already "work[ed] with them in a positive manner." He gave them money, they gave him a product that turned out to be defective. I'm assuming he would not be obnoxious in calling them for a prompt fix/replacement, but this doesn't sound like a situation that should call for a "pretty please" to get prompt responsive action. It's just too bad that he'll have to go through the hassle of remote servicing.

wow, it sounds like your taking this a little too personal. Some people feel that the money saved by buying from an online vendor is worth having to deal with a wait when getting problems resolved. I guess netwurk didnt really do his homework on this one, but LP is not a fly by night operation and will likely take good care of him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom