Comparison Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoloGreen94

Registered
Reaction score
PoloGreen94:
To me, the Canon HDV 20 is about as good as it gets when it comes to picture quality, as it films in the highest resolution available today.

Do you really believe that any HDV camera films in the highest resolution available? If so, then I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you a credible answer to your question.

And there is a LOT more to image quality and camera quality than just resolution. You can start with the glass on the front of the camera. Issues like shooting with a distortion free lens, maybe with an apochromatic coating so that colors render true.

Then there is the quality of the chips to reduce smearing during camera movement. Sensitivty to light which allows for better imaging and focusing. Manual focus capability. Ability to plug in real microphones, or offboard recorders. Ability to lock audio to video with timecode.

How about being able to shoot in various frame rates? Or to modify the way the camera's sharpening process works? Will the HDV20 shoot that 1920 in progressive or interlaced mode? How about when you move it to 24 frames per second?

Why do you think pros shoot HD with Varicams and CineAltas at $60k and $85k respectively (without the lenses) if the HDV20 is about as good as it gets for image quality.

Perrone, slow day in the DIR subforums? :wink:

Polo, For the price of the GL-2, have you considered a 3 cmos HDV Sony FX-7? Might help if you tell us what you plan on using the camera for...

pakman:
Perrone, slow day in the DIR subforums? :wink:

LOL! Actually, I've been jonesing to shoot some video and haven't been able to. I am going to try to do some underwater filming in August, but I haven't shot anything for fun in waaaay too long now. Just boring corporate stuff. Yuck!

Actually HDV is a very bad system for HD to begin with, there are 2 main reason for this. First HDV is capable to only record to a maximum of 25mps which is very compress and then to make it worst, the color space is only 4:2:0 which is pretty bad.
However the Canon HDV 20 is regarded as being one of the best camera outhere as far as HDV, probably the best if you look at the ration features/price. The best prosumer camera right now is the Panasonic HVX200 which doesn't use tape and can record HD at 125mps at 4:2:2 color space.

As far as consumer grade cameras, Panasonic and Canon are pretty much ahead as far as technology. Sony is really loosing ground.

somewhereinla:
The best prosumer camera right now is the Panasonic HVX200 which doesn't use tape and can record HD at 125mps at 4:2:2 color space.

Only to P2 cards or offboard recording media.

somewhereinla:
As far as consumer grade cameras, Panasonic and Canon are pretty much ahead as far as technology. Sony is really loosing ground.

The JVC isn't bad either. Sony's top offering in the HD Consumer market isn't too bad either, but at $9,500 or so, it's pretty spendy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom