compact flash 512 card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I found this on amazon this morning
Viking 512 MB CompactFlash Card $121.99 less a rebate that makes the card $96.99

I haven't really searched for 512 cards before, but this seems like an excellent price? Any input before I toss my cash?

Second question: Usually more is better, but I have never filled a 256 card (I download straight away) and have two other 128s. Are there any downsides to upgrading the 512 cards...am I better off to stick with the 256s for half the price. I will be adding a camera that can shoot video clips so maybe yes to the 512 for that camera, but no for the other camera?

Thanks.

alcina:
I found this on amazon this morning
Viking 512 MB CompactFlash Card $121.99 less a rebate that makes the card $96.99...
Thanks.
Hi, Amazon will not ship any electronics outside US but there are quite a few online vendors in Australia that can supply 512 MB CompactFlash cards for under A$200.
Cheers

I got a 512 card for $96 about a year ago. Much better than my 128, as I never have to worry about downloading.

However, what kind of camera do you have. I have a 2 megapixel. Some of my friends with better cameras comment that the 512 cards are just too slow to write to.

Spectre:
However, what kind of camera do you have. I have a 2 megapixel. Some of my friends with better cameras comment that the 512 cards are just too slow to write to.

I have a Canon A20 right now and will be adding probably another Canon soon. Most likely an A60 for work...but might splurge on a 4 or 5MP for myself too.

I have a scandisk 128, a kodak 128, a simpletech 256 and a transcend 128 - never had a problem with any of them. And I don't seem to ever be far away from a computer to download to...can't decide if I want a 512 or if I just don't have one yet :wink:

alcina:
Hmmm, maybe $96 isn't a good price then?

Outside US...oic! I travel back and forth a couple of times a year and always have things delivered to my US address! Thanks for the pointer though.
$96 is a good price, especially with free shipping, although at one point amazon had it at around $72 after rebate. You may check hot deals forum at anandtech.com for the latest bargains.
Cheers

It seems to me (new at all this) a 512mb would simply replace the need for 2 256mb cards. You wouldn't have to carry the 2nd card, change it out, and risk losing or damaging it. And if you are happy with the 256's you already own, why change?

My question if anyone can explain. How important is the write time of a card to an amatuer? Does the camera need to wait for the writing to be done, before taking the next picture? Could a 512 be slower than a 256 (same brand)?

They seem to all advertise the size but not the speed. I have researched that a CF which is fast in one camera, may be slow in another. I'm looking for a CF for my new Oly 5050. Best Buy doesn't sell anything bigger than 512mb (was hoping to get a 1Gig) and I'm not familar with the names Sandisk nor PNY. Any help?

From my experience the write time isn't that big of a deal if you are recording in .jpg. We're taking a few seconds here. But if you're shooting in RAW or TIFF, those are huge files and definately could interfere with taking the next shot.

As a mere amateur, card speed doesn't apply to my buying decisions.

I use a Nikon D100 6.1 megapixal with a sandisk 512cf card, my experance has been the camera controls the speed of writing, if i shoot a continious 6 image burst the camera needs a sec or two to clear the memory after the 6th image. This is shooting jpgs large format fine quality that print 8x10 photo quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom