Compact Caribbean Point & Shoot Set-up: Best Choice in October 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iim7v7im7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Background:

I have been diving for about 12 years now and have about 250 dives. I have been shoot underwater for about 8 years now starting with an Olympus 4040 in a Olympus Japan housing. After 2 or 3 years, I upgraded to an Olympus P350 in an Ikelite housing with a DS50 strobe (TTL). I dive almost exclusively in the Caribbean and take one or two trips a year (15-30 dives). I really enjoy shooting macro and critters in places like Bonaire, St. Vincent and Little Cayman. I have no expectation with a small rig to shoot the passing shark in the blue or the large head of elkhorn coral. I am looking for a new rig that is even more compact to travel with than my current set-up and shoots higher quality photos. My current rig barely fits into a large briefcase camera bag. On islands where there I am taking a puddle jumper, having the extra carry-on is a pain and sometimes becomes an issue, because I usually also have a small backpack with me with my regulator/computer and perscripton mask.

My Research to Date:

The favorite cameras out there seem to be Canon S95, Canon G12, Olympus XZ-1 and the Panasonic DMC-LX5. I originally tried a Ikelite slave sensor before going to TTL and had much better results with TTL. I know that there are fiber optic systems for some of these and I have no experience with them. Many housings do not provide complete access to all controls. I see in compact strobes Inon S2000, Sea & Sea YS-01 or a Ikelite DS51. On housings, there are too many to list.

Question(s):

1) If compact and quality are criteria which set-up would you go for?
2) Are there differences in shutter lag and image processing shooting RAW?
3) What are the differences in battery life between these?
4) Given my photographic preferences, does one camera or housing/wet lense combination make more sense?
5) Are some models easier to operate based on their control schemes?
6) My expectation on budget is ~$2,000 USD (less is great though:)

Thanks,

Bob

I may be wrong, but the Canon G12 is much larger than these 3 options correct? Also, aren't Ikelite housings (box type) much larger as well? So if I eliminate that, I get these 3 point and shoots.

So are these really the options to configer amongst? Perhaps there are some options that I have missed (Nikon Coolpix 7000 for example) but these seem as if they are among the most popular. I am looking for insights between them in terms of pros and cons, ease of operation, size for clear water critter macro photography?

Option 1:
Camera: Canon S95
Housings: Canon, FIX, Ikelite, Recsea
Strobes: Ikelite DS-51, Inon S-2000, Sea & Sea YS-01​

Option 2:
Camera: Olympus XZ-1
Housings: Olympus, Nauticam,
Strobes: Inon S-2000, Oylmpus VW-UFL, Sea & Sea YS-01​

Option 3:
Camera:Panasonic Lumix LX-5
Housings: Nauticam
Strobes: Inon S-2000, Sea & Sea YS-01​

I believe after a bit of internet research that the most compact rig is:

Camera: Canon Powershot S95
Housing: Fisheye FIX for S95
Strobe: Inon S-2000

How will this rig perform compared to the other options?

Those are the three that you should consider. Also consider that the Nauticam housing is 950.00 for the LX5 and the XZ1. There is another housing for the LX5 that is made by 10 Bar that will be around 700.00.

I am interested in the housing that gives you the best control of the camera. I know of four options:

Canon
Ikelite
Recsea
Fisheye FIX

I think the Recsea and the Fisheye are the same price, the Ikelite is 1/2 the price and the Can is 1/4 the price. The Fisheye looked like it was the nicest between the Recsea and it. The Ikelite did not provide complete control and the Canon is less robust.

I hate Ike housings. You know that you can get the Oly, the housing and the Inon for about the same price as just the S95 and Recsea housing?
The best camera for macro out of that bunch is the LX5 with the Nauticam housing but you are at 1300 just for the camera and housing.

Why is it the best for macro? It has a narrow Fstop range (F2.0-3.3).
It's the only one other than the G12 that focuses down to 1cm while allowing you to use your strobe. The 2.0/3.3 refers to its widest aperture at either end of its zoom range...... It's smallest aperture is 8.0 in camera mode and 11.0 in movie mode.

Here is a sample video we just shot with the LX5 in a Nauticam housing, Manual White Balance using natural light and a Sola 1200. It is a fantastic compact system for the price. Stills were shot with a single YS-01...here is a picture of the exact set up. LX5 Sample Video Nauticam_LX5_YS_01_Sola_1200.jpg

Back
Top Bottom