Compact camera options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello, I’m looking for a new camera to take diving. I currently have a gopro hero3 silver and have been happy with it, but it no longer links up to my phone via wifi. Im getting tired of pulling the card to download my pictures, so id like to get another camera. My wife has an akaso that was very inexpensive but only has 8mp compared to the 12mp im used to. While looking online (mostly at hero7’s) i came across a few knock off brands that say great pixel quality and very low prices. Anyone have experience with one that is affordable and they would recommend? What do you like or dislike?
Im looking for compact (can be clipped out of my way when not in use), has good picture quality, and is easy to get pictures off of (preferably wifi to my phone). It would also be nice if the associated case is rated for greater than 100’. Thanks in advance!

I have a Sealife Micro HD with 32 Gbytes of RAM. The beauty of this camera is that it's permanently sealed, so no oring maintenance, no flooding risk. It can also be used as a video camera. Also big buttons to use with thick gloves.
I went to the Sealife road after flooding 2 INTOVAS, so I'm happy with it and covers my needs.

I have an olympus T6, in the olympus housing, and I use Inon Z-330 strobes.
All my underwater pics are with this camera. Check out my photo page if you'd like to see some results.

I have an olympus T6, in the olympus housing, and I use Inon Z-330 strobes.
All my underwater pics are with this camera. Check out my photo page if you'd like to see some results.

I just went through the same decision that @Bowers is going through and purchased a TG6, Olympus housing and a single S&S YS-03 strobe two days ago. Upgraded from an old Canon s120 shooting only ambient light. Taking it on the first dive tomorrow and will post a brief review. Not to hijack the thread, but you have some nice photos. I think I've sussed out the settings for macro and wide angle (using a slightly modified version of the Backscatter recommendations), but I'm curious as to what settings you use. Thanks.

I just bought the Akaso Brave 7 LE today. It was $139 and is my first action camera. I got it for shooting video of my fishing tournaments, but it comes with an underwater waterproof case, so I can also use it diving once I get back into the water. Per the website, you can't get sound from it though once it's in the waterproof case...

I haven't used a Paralenz myself but have heard good things from those who have. They're coming out with a new model with a viewfinder in the next couple months, so there may be some good deals to be had on the original version. I'm certainly keeping an eye out. I'm a little frustrated with my GoPro Hero 4 for the reasons you mention. I'm also intrigued by the automatic depth color correction; I really just want decent pix and videos to share on social media for the least amount of effort possible.

I haven't used a Paralenz myself but have heard good things from those who have. They're coming out with a new model with a viewfinder in the next couple months, so there may be some good deals to be had on the original version. I'm certainly keeping an eye out. I'm a little frustrated with my GoPro Hero 4 for the reasons you mention. I'm also intrigued by the automatic depth color correction; I really just want decent pix and videos to share on social media for the least amount of effort possible.
In the meantime, I recommend Dive+ for colour correction.

Unfortunately it is a subscription but you can just wait to have a lot of pictures do them and cancel your subscription.

Or you can use the free version if you are not bothered by the watermark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom