Compact Bcd, Regs, Fins For Travelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Savager

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

After 70+ dives, I've decided I should actually think about getting some of the larger equipment. I've avoided doing so as when I travel, I tend to backpack, and a full set of equipment would leave little room for anything else.

So I was wondering: are there any sets of scuba equipment that fold up or can easily be disassembled/reassembled? Specifically BCD, regulators and fins for warm water diving.

Travel BC's are designed to fold or roll-up. They're generally among the lightest also - 4-5 lbs. or so. Google Travel BCD for more choices. Just about every major dive mfr. makes one. Often they include a drawstring bag for it.

Here's a few examples - there's others also - lightest to heaviest:
Zeagle Covert
Aqualung Zuma
http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/bcs/products/litehawk.aspx

Some other options: Best Travel BCs for Scuba Diving

This is about the lightest regulator you'll find - Apeks Flight

I don't break down my regs to travel - although it's all I do also - but if I wanted to break down a reg, I'd carry a sized wrench for the 1st Stage hose fittings, a sized allen key for the port covers and probably leave the hoses attached to the 2nd stages.

Even lighter go with a Air Integrated Wrist Computer - the transmitter mounts on the 1st stage and is about 3-4" long. They're significantly more expensive though since you pay for the transmitter and associated electronics.

The only travel fins I know of are designed to fit in carry-on luggage vs. breakdown. An example is the Aeris Accel - Accel Fin - they're shorter and lighter since the buckle/strap is simpler.

hth,

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the Accel fins are not made anymore, although you can still find odd sizes at various shops. Next best is arguably the Hollis F2.

Oxycheq ultralight travel plate ($51 at Northeast Scuba), wing that fits this plate i.e. DGX or Dive Rite travel wing, DSS wing, Oxycheq wing ($199 for DGX, more for the others), basic harness, crotch strap, two trim weight pockets, tank bands - nothing packs smaller as far as BC.
Fins have been mentioned above but you can also look at force fins. Pricey with many lovers and haters but pack like a charm and you don't need booties. Regs pretty much all pack the same and a couple of pounds more or less don't matter with all the rest that light. All this fits in a carry on with room to spare for a few t-shirts, underwear, swim trunks and a warm water wetsuit.

Unfortunately, the Accel fins are not made anymore, although you can still find odd sizes at various shops. Next best is arguably the Hollis F2.
They're still being made, now they are the Oceanic Accel.

They're still being made, now they are the Oceanic Accel.
I thought so too, but Divers Supply says Oceanic isn't shipping them and the Oceanic website asks for your email with
"Notify me when this product becomes available."

I thought so too, but Divers Supply says Oceanic isn't shipping them and the Oceanic website asks for your email with
"Notify me when this product becomes available."

Odd. They were in stock at various EU suppliers when I ordered them (and received them) about a month ago. Mine fit perfectly (a regular for size 12 feet, with normal neoprene booties), but my GF finds the foot pockets far too wide (size XS, but almost the same pocket width) which made them a little uncomfortable for her. Nice fins, though, and lightweight.

That is odd. They're also in stock at all the big online American retailers.

Back
Top Bottom