Commuter aircraft safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A lot of tropical destinations that mean taking commuter plane flights to outlier islands/ areas to get to the best diving, like the Cayman Islands (Little Cayman/ Cayman Brac) Fiji (Taveuni), Belize (Placencia), and Papua New Guinea. Do you think the commuter plane companies have the same safety standards as the jet operators? Is anyone concerned that smaller companies are more frequently take inexperienced pilots than bigger ones? I'd like to see what other divers think.
Thanks
-Mantasscareme

In general, the commuter airlines have the same safety standards up to a point. They usually operate under different guidelines and regulations than the air transport folks. And the US and Canadian carriers are pretty darn safe. Foreign carriers follow the rules of their country. Some are actually more stringent than US regulations, most are far less stringent. So if you are flying on a US carrier, I wouldn't worry any more than on a large airplane.

DennisW:
So if you are flying on a US carrier, I wouldn't worry any more than on a large airplane.

What about in a developing country?

I'm not sure you can generalize, are you wondering about a specific airline/country? The few small carriers I've been on seemed fine, but I imagine there's some out there I wouldn't want to fly on.

Are you looking for some assurance before travelling? There are no guarantees and it is true that in some third world countries you really roll the dice. Keep in mind that crashing is real bad for business and the professionals that fly and maintain all commercial aircraft take pride in doing the best job they can.

If you look out at the engine cowling and see forty hammer dings try not to think about it too much. :D

Sea ya!

I bet they are not as safe as big commercial jets but safer than driving. Anything that is safer than driving, I don'y worry about it.... Unless the pilot looks like Gomer Pile or has a red face and is sweating profusely. I do not lie as much about what I weigh when its a 6 seater. Does that help?
another thing...if there is a big tropical storm, reserve the right to catch the next one.

Sasquatch:
Are you looking for some assurance before travelling?

Sea ya!

I decided to post the question after reading a lot of trip reports for Taveuni, Fiji. I'm not going there any time soon (the only dive trip in my forseeable future is to very civilized and very beautiful Grand Cayman :D ), but it is a destination I'm considering for 2-3 years down the road. I'm asking mainly out of curiosity
Thanks
-Mantasscareme

Fly with a company that has had a recent mishap and underwent an investigation. That should make sure all their I's are dotted and T's crossed.

Mantasscareme:
A lot of tropical destinations that mean taking commuter plane flights to outlier islands/ areas to get to the best diving, like the Cayman Islands (Little Cayman/ Cayman Brac) Fiji (Taveuni), Belize (Placencia), and Papua New Guinea. Do you think the commuter plane companies have the same safety standards as the jet operators? Is anyone concerned that smaller companies are more frequently take inexperienced pilots than bigger ones? I'd like to see what other divers think.
Thanks
-Mantasscareme

To put it in perspective...if you fly out to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye...just think those pilots do more take offs and landing each week, than some of the big jet jocks do in a month...

They are pretty skillful in the approach and takeoffs for the airports they operate to...

When we landed at San Pedro, there was a nasty crosswind and I was lucky enough to be sitting up front next to the pilot...reminded me of a carrier approach :)

Paul in VT

I could rattle off a litany of major airline incidents...mostly due to cost savings in maintenance...

You have a good point. I remember one passenger on one of our Tropic Air flights in Belize expressing concern that the aircraft only had one engine. Another passenger mentioned that one is all you need if it's maintained properly - seemed reasonable to me. One is all my car or truck needs if I maintain it properly too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom